Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registry Poem

We are not doing a registry so to ask nicely for money/giftcards I wrote a little poem.  I just googled a bunch and combined some lines I liked.  Enjoy!

We lived together before this wedding,
So we have a home, full of toasters and bedding.
What to get for the bride & groom
Whose house is set up in every room?

To save you from looking, shopping and buying,
Here's an idea you might like trying!

To help make our first year of marriage fun and exciting,

We are asking for gift cards for travelling, entertaining and dining.

However, we are thankful for any contribution to start off our life,

In our long winding journey, as new husband and wife.

Re: Registry Poem

• Options
    I don't like it.  Many people think that asking for money directly is extremely rude (myself included) and there's a good chance that a lot of your guests feel that way, so you risk offending them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Roses are red, violets are blue.
    Gimme the cash!

ETA:  Brides asking for cash always remind me of this guy --

• Options
    do not ASK your guests for anything!  they are your GUESTS not an ATM.  They are not obligated to buy you anything at all and will likely buy you much much less if you send something like that out (or even post it).  If you prefer cash, have at least a small registry.  People will get the hint.
  • Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-poem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6bd00747-51d1-4a5a-a81f-d9a5859d3884Post:bc946955-34b5-41c9-acee-d8aa64cdfde7">Registry Poem</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are not doing a registry so to ask nicely for money/giftcards I wrote a little poem.  I just googled a bunch and combined some lines I liked.  Enjoy! We lived together before this wedding, So we have a home, full of toasters and bedding. What to get for the bride & groom Whose house is set up in every room? To save you from looking, shopping and buying, Here's an idea you might like trying! To help make our first year of marriage fun and exciting, We are asking for gift cards for travelling, entertaining and dining. However, we are thankful for any contribution to start off our life, In our long winding journey, as new husband and wife.
    Posted by kelliebaker[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha!</div><div>
    </div><div>Wouldn't it be funny if someone were actually rude enough to do something like IRL?</div><div>
    </div><div>I like your sarcasm.</div>
  • Options
    Ugh.

A tacky, rude request is not made any less rude or tacky simply because you added rhyming words at the end of each line.
    For example:
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Your request is tacky
    And the poetry sucks too.

See what I mean? Sure it rhymes but stil totally rude.

If you would prefer monetary gifts or gift cards, don't register and ask your parents to help spread the word to guests who ask about gifts.

DD Lea, born 04/21/10
    BFP #4 It's a BOY!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    CP: July 2011
    BFP #3: 11/3/2011 M/C 12/12/11
    We miss you and love you always, little firecrackers!
  • Options
    And I don't know why you'd ask for random gift cards either...We get a bunch for Christmas from work and while people have good intentions,  they usually dont get you enough on a gift card to cover a full meal for 2 or a night out, so you end up spending a lot just to use the gift card. 
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. This is a horrible breach of etiquette.

Create a small registry (is there really nothing you'd like to upgrade?) for those who would rather get you physical gifts, and most will get the hint that you would prefer cash without sending this poem.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    People will understand that you don't need physical gifts if you don't register.  There's no need to ask for GC.  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Why not just write "Give us cash".  Its the same thing.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-poem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6bd00747-51d1-4a5a-a81f-d9a5859d3884Post:bc946955-34b5-41c9-acee-d8aa64cdfde7">Registry Poem</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are not doing a registry so to ask nicely for money/giftcards I wrote a little poem.  I just googled a bunch and combined some lines I liked.  Enjoy! We lived together before this wedding, So we have a home, full of toasters and bedding. What to get for the bride & groom Whose house is set up in every room? To save you from looking, shopping and buying, Here's an idea you might like trying! To help make our first year of marriage fun and exciting, We are asking for gift cards for travelling, entertaining and dining. However, we are thankful for any contribution to start off our life, In our long winding journey, as new husband and wife.
    Posted by kelliebaker[/QUOTE]

no, i didnt enjoy it. i think its rude
  • Options
    When are you going to give this to your guests?
  • Options
    I think the poem makes it worse, actually.  If I received an invitation with a poem asking for money, I'd probably not go and not send a gift.  That or send a really weird gift. 
    I'm still laughing over the really creepy poem someone found on weddingwire about how they already lived together and said "more than kisses so far we've shared".  If someone sent me that, I'd send them a gift that made them feel as weird and awkward as I did when I read it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The whole idea of a poem to ask for cash is stupid.  Bad idea, don't do it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    282image Invited to celebrate!
    208image Will be Dancing the night away!
    74image Won't be having any fun
    0image are giving me a major headache

• Options
    You can't possibly be serious.
  • Options
    This has to be fake. I'd  say more, but I'm worried "mom" is going to come back and warn us again. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-poem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6bd00747-51d1-4a5a-a81f-d9a5859d3884Post:e57e2131-89d6-47d0-b6c2-de09f531f0d5">Re: Registry Poem</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Registry Poem : Haha! Wouldn't it be funny if someone were actually rude enough to do something like IRL? I like your sarcasm.
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

I know someone who attempted.  I'm a BM in their wedding and the MOB showed me a poem similar to the ones mentioned.  The bride thought it would be "cute" to include it in their invitations for their engagement party.  I felt the need as a BM to step in and advise they not do that.  Luckily, they listened.

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-poem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:6bd00747-51d1-4a5a-a81f-d9a5859d3884Post:5161de0b-9733-4a9a-bcf7-8e46e8e50533">Re: Registry Poem</a>:
    [QUOTE]When are you going to give this to your guests?
    Posted by teachermegs[/QUOTE]

When??? You are agreeing with her sending this thing??
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    I felt rude enough trying to find a nice way to say "please mail gifts to the bride's home address as she is flying 3 hours by herself to attend this shower & can't bring much home with her" - I am still expecting to receive gifts that I will have to return before hopping on the plane the next day.

Can't even imagine receiving that in the mail.
  • Options
    Even if this didn't say GIVE ME CASH, I'm just not a fan of these types of poems.  They seem so juvenille to me, you are an adult that's getting married, not a grade schooler writing a nursery rhyme.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    No I am not agreeing to send this.  I am trying to figure if it is a real post.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-poem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6bd00747-51d1-4a5a-a81f-d9a5859d3884Post:5b43b71b-60f8-44c6-8ffd-4b1feeec0673">Re: Registry Poem</a>:
    [QUOTE]I felt rude enough trying to find a nice way to say "please mail gifts to the bride's home address as she is flying 3 hours by herself to attend this shower & can't bring much home with her" - I am still expecting to receive gifts that I will have to return before hopping on the plane the next day. Can't even imagine receiving that in the mail.
    Posted by kgorman307[/QUOTE]

Uh, you felt rude doing that because it was rude.   You don't tell your guests what or how to give gifts.
  • Options
    FYI exciting and dining do not match.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-poem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6bd00747-51d1-4a5a-a81f-d9a5859d3884Post:5b43b71b-60f8-44c6-8ffd-4b1feeec0673">Re: Registry Poem</a>:
    [QUOTE]I felt rude enough trying to find a nice way to say "please mail gifts to the bride's home address as she is flying 3 hours by herself to attend this shower & can't bring much home with her" - I am still expecting to receive gifts that I will have to return before hopping on the plane the next day. Can't even imagine receiving that in the mail.

If you've asked your guests to ship their gifts to your house, then what is the point of having a shower if there is nothing to open? I think the etiquette is to ship the gifts home.  But returning the gifts, like you plan to do, also works too. 

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-poem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:6bd00747-51d1-4a5a-a81f-d9a5859d3884Post:5b43b71b-60f8-44c6-8ffd-4b1feeec0673">Re: Registry Poem</a>:

Uh yeah, that was pretty rude.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    282image Invited to celebrate!
    208image Will be Dancing the night away!
    74image Won't be having any fun
    0image are giving me a major headache

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-poem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:6bd00747-51d1-4a5a-a81f-d9a5859d3884Post:628f6db6-0407-4d79-a2d0-e0ef7b3a8c6d">Re: Registry Poem</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Registry Poem : Uh yeah, that was pretty rude.
    Posted by jilld82[/QUOTE]

very rude.  If you're having a shower, no matter how far away you live it's your responsibility to take care of the gifts.  Whether that be returning them and buying them back at home, driving or shipping them back, you figure it out. it's not that hard.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-poem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6bd00747-51d1-4a5a-a81f-d9a5859d3884Post:93bfb078-16db-467e-a0eb-7735764a3fa1">Re: Registry Poem</a>:
    [QUOTE]Even if this didn't say GIVE ME CASH, I'm just not a fan of these types of poems.  They seem so juvenille to me, you are an adult that's getting married, not a grade schooler writing a nursery rhyme.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]
    I agree. Not only is this extremely rude to your guests because you expect them to give you something, but you're putting a stupid poem with it. I'm not a fan of silly poems in most places for the wedding (whether its for bathroom baskets, guest book, whatever), this is just too much.
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Good gracious...ya'll are fierce

Thanks for the advice...I think...or the bashing...whatever you want to call it

The poem idea is something I found online, and before publishing it my bridal party confirmed it was okay...

This is something that is not going out with the invitations, just on our wedding website.  I have gotten 564654654654 questions about the registry so this is why I made it. 90% of our guests are from out of town so the website was just a central location to put all this information...so far no complaints from my family or his

Thanks for the bashing though!
  • Options

Aside from this being totally rude, I will never understand why everything has to have a poem to go with it when it comes to weddings. I drives me crazy. Tacky registry poem, bathroom basket poem, guestbook poem, shower invite poems, flip-flop basket poem, cardbox poem...etc.

Someone stop the madness!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Not sure to what say about your comment...even my own mother is talking behind my back? 

Like I stated, I appreciate the bashing but so far no bad feelings from anyone yet...however, it is merely on the website...the poem was even a suggestion from a guest that loved the idea when someone else did it

I am sorry but picking out china and items I do not need makes me want to throw up.  The poem to clarify questions about the registry so I dont have to
  • Options
    Yikes sorry guys I abbreviated that a little too much it did sound really rude - I am obviously not throwing the shower & don't really want one due to the logistics but my mom insists she throw me one, where she lives. It's a 16 hour drive, so no way I can do that by myself to transport gifts. I didn't mean the "please ship gifts" was going in the invites or being put in writing. I just asked my mom to please mention to people if they asked that I'd be flying by myself and hope they got the hint that I'll have to return most everything.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards