Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registering for Furniture?

Hey, Knotties!

FI and I started a registry at Pottery Barn last night for mostly furniture.  There are only a few pieces on there (side tables, lamps, a desk, a decorative mirror, etc.), but I got up this morning a little worried that a couple of pieces are just too expensive even if our guests could afford them.  Is there any etiquette on how expensive your items can be?  Our most expensive item is a small entertainment console that is $699.  We don't necessarily expect anyone to buy it, but we thought it might be good to add it in case we get discounts afterwards so we can buy it ourselves.

We are also registered at Macy's, and we have things on that list that range from $10 to $300.  It is our kitchenware registry, basically.  And our Amazon registry is just small stuff under $50 like board games and cookbooks. And total, there is only 75-80 things spanning all three registries (we're having a small wedding of around 80 people).  So while I know we have every price range covered, I'm afraid that there might be people who would be offended that we registered for $150 side tables or a $400 desk.  My side of the family and my friends are a little more well off, so I know they would be okay, but FI's family and friends aren't as well off, and I guess I'm just afraid at them being mad about these items.

So, I guess this is a multi-faceted issue.  Is there a price cap at which we should put our items?  Should I change the registry just because FI's family might be upset about higher ticket items (which they are obviously not going to be forced to buy)?  And is registering for a few furniture items wrong?

TIA!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards