Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Etsy has a wedding registry... thoughts?

I just discovered that Etsy now has a registry option, allowing you to add items from different shops. I love this idea because it gives guests who want to give something more exciting than tupperware or towels, but I'm not sure I will use it. I did find some unique things (mostly art and prints to hang on our walls). What do you all think?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Etsy has a wedding registry... thoughts?

• Options
    For the most part, I think it would be okay if you're registering for joint items.  I would caution against adding too many non-essentials like art because people can side-eye that.  I'm not saying myself in particular, but I have a friend who was complaining about a registry that she looked at that had tons of art items, so obviously some people would find it rude. 

I would still have no more than 2-3 registries if you include Etsy.  And like I said, everything you register for needs to be a joint gift.  I was really annoyed looking at a registry last year that had a hair dryer and flat iron on it, so gifts should be something both can use.  
  • Options
    Hmmm. First thought is that that's really cool and there are some things for our house I'd love to use that for. Second thought is like your own, I'm not sure who would use it. 

There are a few things I want that I haven't registered for because I would prefer them to be one of a kind or handmade. Especially with art or decor objects I think this could be a really fun thing to do. I do think, if you do it, you need to sort of curate your registry down to things you really want; I don't see making a huge Etsy registry. You also run into the fact that once things sell out there they generally aren't replaced, so you'd have to stay on top of that. You also have to think about how many people you have that know what Etsy is and how to use it. I might message a shop owner to let them know that you have something of theirs on your registry. 

If you do it, let me know how it turns out, I'm really curious. 
  • Options
    We have a pretty substantial BBB registry with expected house items on there, but I know a lot of my friends would be excited to see an etsy registry because they are crafty/DIY like me. Obviously, Grandma would buy from my traditional registry. I chose prints because I also have a set of frames on BBB, but I can see what you mean about having tons of art items. I would never register for jewelry or anything like that, and defintiely keep it to items both my FI and I would enjoy. I would personally be excited to buy from an Etsy registry! I'll have to give it some more thought before I make it "live"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've ordered  twice from Etsy and had good experiences. However, I have heard some stories over the last couple of years about sales gone bad. I would be concerned about a guest ordering something and the shop closes or the owner doesn't come through with the order in time/at all.  Is there protection for the guests against that?
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    That's an interesting idea. I have a few artsy bohemian friends who would probably totally dig that. If I was in a position where I already had all of the household stuff and was just looking to upgrade and for decorative pieces, then yes. I probably would use it. But since we're just starting out & still need towels & bowls, it's not as practical for us. 
  • Options
    I think it's fine to make a registry on Etsy and to put wall hangings and other art on there.  I would try to pick stores that have good reviews.  The only thing I wonder about is it seems like a lot of stuff on Etsy is one-of-a-kind, so would things on your registry continue to be available?
  • Options
    I would use Etsy as an alternative registry for those that don't like buying the traditional gifts, I would be leary though like another poster said about sometimes shops close or demand is too high and orders don't get sent in time sort of thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards