Registry and Gift Forum
Options

FI Resistance

Hi All,

It is getting to be about that time where my FI and I need to start thinking about where we want to register and what types of items we are going to register for.  I've tried broaching the subject with him and have been met with some resistance every time.  I've explained that if we register at 2-3 various stories and for items of various price ranges any guest who wishes to purchase us a gift should be accommodated.  The response I am getting is "no one in my family has money to buy us gifts" or "my family is only going to give us a check".  I've then told him that by registering we aren't asking for gifts per say, but that this is a time in our lives when people will want to present us with items to start our new life together and that if we do not register we (and our parents) will be fielding questions left and right about what we want.  This also may sound wrong (and it probably is) but I really want to say to him: "well, MY family will need a registry to know what to get us" since his responses are so centered around his family.  
I guess my frustration is stemming from his inability to "see past the end of his nose" or in other words think beyond his preconceived notions of what his family can or can't do.  
I feel like he thinks that registering for gifts is greedy and selfish.  Is it?  I had always been under the impression it was what couples should do when getting married.  I'm feeling very torn, please let me know what your thoughts are.
*I hope I articulated my concerns appropriately.  I can sometimes ramble.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards