Registry and Gift Forum

Same item, different stores? Okay or Not?

Hey all,

Like many people I assume, I have registered at a few different stores. My question is, is it okay to register for the same item at different stores? The reason is My fiance has a thing for items made in america, and the bakeware and pots and pans at williams sonoma are for the most part made that way. However my fiance doesn't believe that anyone will be willing to purchase off that registry because they don't frequently offer sales or discounts, and people will want to get the most for their money when buying these items. So my question is, if our guests are most likely not buying the pots that he/we want should we put some others that we like on one of our other registries so that we are at least getting items we selected... Thoughts/opinions?

Re: Same item, different stores? Okay or Not?

• i would register for the ones that you really want and if you don't get them then maybe use some of the money you receive to purchase them. that way you don't get both. just saying this because a wedding i recently went to registered at 3 different stores and they had dishes and cookware on all three and initial reaction was just that I thought that was really odd.
  • you definitely don't want to register for the same item on two registries, it's very strange because you could very well end up with 2 of the same item.
    i wouldn't really worry about this problem, because you should register for what you want and if no one get's it for you, then most places offer a discount on your registered items after your wedding so you can buy it then.

also, i know that macy's carries the calphalon cookware set that they have at w&s, so you might try finding the same thing at a different place
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You could easily end up with duplicates and then have to go through the hassle of returning them. I wouldn't register for duplicate items. Register for what you want/need.
  • Just register for what you really want. People will buy what they're comfortable buying...you could check and see if WS items are at other places, like Macy's like someone suggested.

I registered at WS and Macy's. I thought more ppl would shop at Macy's bc of the sale...every gift I've gotten so far has been from WS. People might surprise you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've seen registries where people registered for the same item at more than one store and I was honestly trying to figure out why they would do that, it just seemed stupid.  If the same item is available at 2 stores just pick the cheaper option. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would choose one set and stick with it or at least things that match - don't register for two  3qt. casserole dishes or something that are similar from two stores, because then you'll have two of those but maybe not some other bakeware that goes with it, if that makes sense.

Choose something that you really like and stick to it.  We actually went with basic white square plates and were able to register for the matching serving pieces at Macy's, but then also found a lot of matching white square pieces at Target that were much cheaper so we added those as well.  

And I wouldn't worry too much about what people will and will not get you. I mean, in the end our registries are all wants, not needs because then we'd have them already!  

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_same-item-different-stores-okay-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:7dc50106-39fb-46ad-ad5e-04bb3460247cPost:4f8268d5-8138-41c6-ae92-cc9bc04f3971">Re: Same item, different stores? Okay or Not?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've seen registries where people registered for the same item at more than one store and I was honestly trying to figure out why they would do that, it just seemed stupid.<strong>  If the same item is available at 2 stores just pick the cheaper option</strong>. 
    Posted by mysticl[/QUOTE]
    someecards.com - What's the difference between peanut butter and jam?
  • Don't do it. I got two crockpots and two irons and two of a few other things because Target's registry sucks. It was a pain in the butt to return it all. Pick what you like the best on one registry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards