Registry and Gift Forum

Registering before the holidays?

My wedding is not until April 2013, and I know that it is suggested to register around a 6 month mark or so, but would it be smart to wait until after Christmas? I mean I know a lot of stuff will  be discontinued after the holiday season. It always is. Opinions please!

Re: Registering before the holidays?

• I think it is ok to register now as you are around the 6 month mark, I think it largely depends on where you want to register. I heard at BBB their kitchen stuff rarely goes discontinued, but the bedding does quite often. I would just keep an eye on your registry, and if stuff goes discontinued, replace it with something else.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-before-the-holidays?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:8707105f-c801-4a97-a020-3246fce56180Post:9e57e2d5-89f4-4204-ac13-8d373daddc82">Registering before the holidays?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is not until April 2013, and I know that it is suggested to register around a 6 month mark or so, but would it be smart to wait until after Christmas? I mean I know a lot of stuff will  be discontinued after the holiday season. It always is. Opinions please!
    Posted by jaismommy[/QUOTE]

<div>I registered 9 months ago at Macy's and only one thing out of 70 items was discontinued - I think it depends on what you want though, like I was going for standard caphalon cookware, fiesta dishes, classic stuff. People might also buy Christmas presents off your registry. I also know that quite a few of my family members bought me shower gifts back in January/February when there were good winter sales. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it's fine to go ahead and register. Like PP said, some family members wanted to get us things off our registry for Christmas (and our wedding wasn't until July). I would just check your registry periodically after the holidays in case anything was just seasonal and became discontinued.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Yeah.... I'm getting married in April 2013, and I registered back in March.  I've only had one thing get discontinued, and it was being upgraded by a new version of the same thing.  But like PP, I'm doing classic stuff that is always around - china, fiesta, the PB bedding and towels that have been around for like 7 or 8 years, etc.

I would go ahead, and just check it after the holidays.  Odds are you will get some gifts for the holidays.  We registered in March because I graduated from law school in May and moved to a new city, and I got some very nice registry gifts and gift cards to those stores for graduation and as house-warming gifts. It was pretty great, because those were things we needed, and people commented that they liked knowing exactly what we needed. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ok, great!! Thank you for your input! And now I can explain to my fiance why we should do it now lol.
  • I'm getting married in March of 2013, and we're registering at BBB and Macy's as soon as we get a free weekend, probably around mid-October. I think you're fine now - I know a lot of people in my circle are crazy Black Friday shoppers and might be looking to get good deals. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for posting this as I was wondering the same thing since I too am an April '13 bride
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards