Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Register for engagement gifts??

My FMIL wants to throw us an engagement party. Neither my fiance and I want one since the people that are important to us have already done something special with us. She basically wants to show us off to her friends, which I guess I understand. Long story short, she keeps telling us to register for engagement gifts. I've never ever heard of this before and I thought you only registered for shower gifts. Can anyone give me some insight? Also, when should I register in general? We aren't getting married until March 2013.

Re: Register for engagement gifts??

• Options
    Registering for an e-party isn't necessary.  Also, remember that anyone that is invited to the engagement party must be invited to the wedding, so choose your guest list accordingly.  Unless she is paying for the wedding, don't let FMIL start inviting a bunch of random neighbors and firends that there may not be room or budget for at the wedding.
  • Options
    We did register before our engagement party but we didn't go around telling everyone.  If someone asked us or our family then we told them but we didnt go around annoucing it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it would be appropriate to register and just don't mention it unless someone asks.  I didn't have an engagement party as my family couldn't afford it and we were living in Philly at the time while his family was in VA.

I may suggest a few things as my Aunt to be had an engagement party and showed me a few things she got.

Possibly a pair of toasting flutes with the date of your engagement engraved or etched onto them

If you have anything in mind for the wedding already maybe like toasting flutes for the wedding, a cake cutting set, a cake topper, small things that you can use on the day of.  People usually get these at their showers but I think it would be okay to get them at an engagement party especially if it is a short engagement
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards