Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Instead of registering - ask for money?

My fiance and I are in our 40's and are combining 2 houses, we don't need to register for anything - we have too much as it is.  If our guests want to give a gift, we'd love money to go towards our honeymoon.  Any creative, non-tacky ways to say that?

Re: Instead of registering - ask for money?

• Options
    There is no good way to blantanly ask for money (including setting up a HM registry).

Small/no registry and word of mouth is the best way to go.
  • Options
    Honeymoon Registry - check out honeyfund.com thats the best one I've seen. Although do not ask the boards about a HM registry because its a hated topic and is seen as tacky and rude to do it but go make up your own opinion
  • Options
    Nope, sorry.
  • Options
    There is not a good way to ask for money, but you could do a non-traditional registry: skis, camping gear, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_instead-of-registering-ask-money?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:9ab48adb-6f58-4f56-b24b-1d0f4d620825Post:0db52cb9-f175-497c-8ca6-a854bcd4bdde">Re: Instead of registering - ask for money?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Create a small registry of upgrades for people who insist on getting boxed gifts.  When people ask where you're registered, say, "We have a small registry at X, but are also saving for the honeymoon."  They'll get the idea.
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

This
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Limited Registry of upgrades worked for us.  We got a decent amount of money and now we get to hire someone to redo the landscaping/paint house, instead of doing the work ourselves.  yay!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_instead-of-registering-ask-money?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9ab48adb-6f58-4f56-b24b-1d0f4d620825Post:f2275ab0-846d-468d-b386-1aae0b9f7e5a">Re: Instead of registering - ask for money?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honeymoon Registry - check out honeyfund.com thats the best one I've seen. Although do not ask the boards about a HM registry because its a hated topic and is seen as tacky and rude to do it but go make up your own opinion
    Posted by girl2bewed[/QUOTE]

<div>People on this board say they are tacky and rude for the same reasons that your guests will.  Most people want to avoid looking greedy to their guests.  The fact that you personally don't find a cash registry rude does not mean that you won't be offending many of your guests.  </div><div>
    </div><div>OP, if you don't register, most people will take the hint and just give cash.  You can also have your parents/whoever mention that you are saving for a honeymoon when asked about registries.  </div>
  • Options
    I just wrote this under another topic  but this is my take on it:

Some people advise no to cash gift funds but you know what? You should reconsider it because in almost all cultures cash gifts are the primary gifts couples receive and you can apply those funds to fixing up a first home or a honeymoon trip. Only in certain regions of the US is it "taboo" to request cash gifts and this "cash gifts are tacky" idea is totally obsolete. As long as you do so tastefully (my fiance and I are registered at myregistry.com and have included a few other items on our gift list so that the cash gift  fund on it is not so in your face) then all is well. Personally, I don't think there is any shame in it especially if you indicate what the funds will be used for. We're using ours for our honeymoon and we have had no disgruntled guests. Our family and friends actually seem thrilled to not have to travel to the store to buy a boring toaster or to pay high shipping charges online. (My fiance's cousin April actually sent me a followup email saying she loved the cash gift idea!)

Good luck with the wedding planning! It's getting nutso over here!
  • Options
    [QUOTE]I just wrote this under another topic  but this is my take on it: Some people advise no to cash gift funds but you know what? You should reconsider it because in almost all cultures cash gifts are the primary gifts couples receive and you can apply those funds to fixing up a first home or a honeymoon trip. Only in certain regions of the US is it "taboo" to request cash gifts and this "cash gifts are tacky" idea is totally obsolete. As long as you do so tastefully (my fiance and I are registered at myregistry.com and have included a few other items on our gift list so that the cash gift  fund on it is not so in your face) then all is well. Personally, I don't think there is any shame in it especially if you indicate what the funds will be used for. We're using ours for our honeymoon and we have had no disgruntled guests. Our family and friends actually seem thrilled to not have to travel to the store to buy a boring toaster or to pay high shipping charges online. (My fiance's cousin April actually sent me a followup email saying she loved the cash gift idea!) Good luck with the wedding planning! It's getting nutso over here!
    Posted by Tatum88[/QUOTE]
    The point of a registry is to let your guests know what you can use and what your tastes are, and to help prevent duplicate gifts so you don't end up returning 3 guests' presents when you receive 4 toasters.

Everyone can use cash, and any guest can easily figure out that one.  I think that registering for cash makes it look like your guests aren't smart enough to figure out that cash is always useful.  And you can never receive too much of it and everyones' preference for the type of cash is the same (their own country's currency) so it's really just pointless.
  • Options
    but let's be honest - most people opt for the blender over cash gifts. We're Italian so our guests prefer the cash but we have a lot of friends whose cultures are not as forgiving about the cash gift idea (if they do not hint at it on their registry).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards