Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registry Gift Price Distribution

I hope no one takes this question to be rude, but I'm just wondering what the price distribution is like on other people's registries.  I get very stressed out about receiving presents of any kind and am trying to make the process as painless as possible. Numbers, lists, and data tend to calm me down.

I know the rule is to put something in everyone's price point, but I'm not sure how to do that exactly as I don't tend to pay much attention to how much money people have and how that translates into gift giving. I come from a working-class family from Chicago and my partner comes from a working class family from North Carolina.  My family, however, tend to be more-generous-than-they-can-actually-afford gift givers and nearly always give boxed gifts for weddings.  This is my only frame of reference.

So, what does the price distribution look like on your registry?

I'll go first.  We're inviting about 120 people to the wedding (mostly family) and will be having at least one shower beforehand.

$300-$350 - 1 gift - 0.5%
$250-$300 - 2 gifts - 1%
$200-$250 - 2 gifts - 1%
$150-$200 - 4 gifts - 2%
$100-$150 - 3 gifts - 1.5%
$75-$100 - 7 gifts - 3.5%
$50-$75 - 8 gifts - 4%
$25-$50 - 38 gifts - 19%
$10-$25 - 58 gifts - 29%
$0-$10 - 78 gifts - 39%

Re: Registry Gift Price Distribution

• Options
    noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited October 2010
    i agree with PP.  For a wedding, I like to buy one gift rather than a lot of small gifts.  So I would add a few in the $50 to $150 range.  You really don't have much there and I know that's the range I tend to look in.

As for our breakdown, I have no idea.  I didn't analyze it as closely as you did!  We just registered for what we really wanted and trying to make sure it was distributed over the range.  Didn't matter though, we mostly got cash.  :)

• Options
    The bulk of our gifts fall in the $25-75 range. 

I think you need more in that range as well.  As a guest I don't want to buy you 10 kitchen spoons and spatulas to feel like I gave a nice gift. I rather just buy a crockpot and be done with it.

Also, keep in mind that most places you can register offer gift cards so guests are always able to give that or money.

Don't fill your registry with things you don't necesarily need or want just to have more options in the cheaper categories.  If guests can't afford something on your registry or they don't particularly want to give you something that is left they will figure out another solution.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    i think im about 30-60 is 50% of ours 1-29 about 30% and 61-100 is 20%. we had one item over 100but its gone already
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards