Registry and Gift Forum

Would This Be Rude?

My finacee and I live 1000 miles away from where we are having our wedding.  We have having our wedding where we are from and where our family and friends live so that is easier for them, this way everyone doesn't have to travel. 

I am wanting to put something like this on the invitations:
"If you so desire to bring a gift, please consider cash or gift cards due to transportation issues."

It would really help us out because there is no way we would be able to haul a bunch of gifts back with us.  What do you all think, is this too rude?

"You gotta love livin' baby, 'cause dyin' is a pain in the ass!" - Frank Sinatra

Re: Would This Be Rude?

• If you were doing that for the shower I probably wouldn't think it was rude.  Since it is your actual wedding, though, I do because you are never supposed to include anything about gifts in the invitation.  Your guests know that you live so far away from the reception; they'll get the hint.  You could also just not register.
  • Yes, any mention of gifts, including registry info, is rude to put in wedding invitiations. People will know you are coming from out of town and either ship gifts directly to your home or give cash gifts/gift cards without being asked to do so.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_would-this-rude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:a2049f11-0e17-4ffa-b009-d98839d393bcPost:3d2b84bf-f270-45eb-afb5-c1ed07765144">Re: Would This Be Rude?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, any mention of gifts, including registry info, is rude to put in wedding invitiations. People will know you are coming from out of town and either ship gifts directly to your home or give cash gifts/gift cards without being asked to do so.
    Posted by MNVegas[/QUOTE]

This.  Please don't mention gifts - it's rather rude.
  • Yep. It's rude. Don't mention gifts.
  • Ditto PPs.  Don't mention gifts.  It's just not necessary.

People coming to your wedding know your situation.  Our wedding was an 8 hour drive from our home, and we only got ONE boxed gift.  Everything else was a check or sent to our house before the wedding. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • I'm sure you've heard it enough times already to get the idea.

We are driving 3 hours to our wedding site, which is the next state over. We may have to rent a Uhaul!
    Wedding Planning Bio/Blog Here Updated as of 2/1/11 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One of my friends moved to another state right before her wedding, then had to go back to get married, the left on the honeymoon.  With all that craziness I held off on sending the gift untill I knew they would be at their new home about 3 weeks after the wedding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes it is rude.  I was married in FL and DH and I live in CA and we did no such thing.  Most physical gifts were shipped to us before the wedding.  A few people brought gifts to the wedding and we shipped them back home.  It's one of those thing you have to think of when you plan a wedding far from your home.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Any mention of gifts is rude.  Unless your guests don't know you well enough to know that you live 1000 miles away, they will figure it out and send gifts to your home or give gift cards and cash at the wedding.
  • Personally, I think yoou should do what fits you as an individual. In this day, people understand where you are coming from and will not think any less about it. I would say to not add it to the invitation but put it on your website or another form of stationary.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards