Registry and Gift Forum
Options

How do you notify guests re: registry?

How do you notify your guests about where you are registered?  Is this information that you pen down on a separate piece of paper that you would include within the envelope that contains the invitation and rsvp card?  Any help would be appreciated.

Re: How do you notify guests re: registry?

• Options
    EK2013EK2013 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-do-you-notify-guests-re-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:a2efcc4e-1144-4bfa-aebf-e8033207dc8fPost:2b086a07-94b5-46f8-bee1-1bcedaf35aa9">How do you notify guests re: registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How do you notify your guests about where you are registered?  Is this information that you pen down on a separate piece of paper that you would include within the envelope that contains the invitation and rsvp card?  Any help would be appreciated.
    Posted by nikbatch[/QUOTE]

<div>You don't include the information in the invitation at all. If you have a wedding website, you can include that on a piece of paper in the invitation suite (and have a discreet "registry" tab on your site). You can tell your mom, your FI's mom, and your 'maids, who'll then be able to tell anyone else who asks them. You can tell guests who ask you personally.</div>
  • Options
    In addition to what PP said, people can also find the info themeselves by googling or looking at popular registry stores.  

Basically, you don't want to tell guests about your registry without them asking or seeking out the information first--except in shower invitations, where the shower hostess may include registry info.  
  • Options
    The only invitation that can include registry information is a shower invitation because it is explicitly a gift-giving event. Otherwise, word of mouth if they ask. Most people are smart enough to find registries on their own.
  • Options

Everyone who responded to my post--Many, many thanks!  Again, thank you for taking the time and energy to help me in this matter! 

• Options
    I disagree. Almost every wedding I've been invited to has had a business card size note included in the invitation that says where the couple is registered at. I dont think that would be a problem at all, and it saves your guests time looking for themselves where you have chosen to register at.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-do-you-notify-guests-re-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:a2efcc4e-1144-4bfa-aebf-e8033207dc8fPost:28c402f0-3f35-4d13-b38f-111ab076517a">Re: How do you notify guests re: registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I disagree. Almost every wedding I've been invited to has had a business card size note included in the invitation that says where the couple is registered at. I dont think that would be a problem at all, and it saves your guests time looking for themselves where you have chosen to register at.
    Posted by hjkaufman1984[/QUOTE]

It sounds like it's common in your circle, but it's considered poor etiquette and "gift-grabby" to many people.  Just because others have done it does not mean that it's the proper thing to do.  However, if anyone is hosting a shower for you, they can include the registry info there.  You should not include it in the wedding invitation in any circumstance.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I disagree. Almost every wedding I've been invited to has had a business card size note included in the invitation that says where the couple is registered at. I dont think that would be a problem at all, and it saves your guests time looking for themselves where you have chosen to register at.

Just because it's common practice doesn't mean it's good manners.   Invitation companies make preprinted thank you notes but it doesn't mean it's okay to use them.  Registry info is ok for shower invitations but never for wedding invites. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-do-you-notify-guests-re-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:a2efcc4e-1144-4bfa-aebf-e8033207dc8fPost:28c402f0-3f35-4d13-b38f-111ab076517a">Re: How do you notify guests re: registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I disagree. Almost every wedding I've been invited to has had a business card size note included in the invitation that says where the couple is registered at. I dont think that would be a problem at all, and it saves your guests time looking for themselves where you have chosen to register at.
    Posted by hjkaufman1984[/QUOTE]

And everyone in my family/circle would be appalled at the audacity of someone who did that. So, there's that.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I was always taught it looks greedy to include where you are registered in your invites.  So I'm putting in a card that directs guests to the wedding website for all sorts of information.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Amen CosmoGirl,

Even though some people do it, doesn't make it good etiquette.  And I guarentee you, that people DO judge brides poorly if they include those little inserts for gifts. (I've seen people open the wedding invite, and immediately comment on how tasteless the bride is).  In my opinion, it's a dangerous practice, as it makes you look like you expect gifts as an obligatory part of attending your wedding.  Like an entry fee to a show.  Brr.

What we ended up doing is creating a beautiful website here at the Knot (yay free!).  And used the registry feature.  In the wedding invites, we very tactfully included a card that stated:

"For your convenience, further details concerning the wedding can be located on our website: 

Viola.  If they want to bring gifts, the website is conveniently there for them to utilize.  An you look polished, tasteful, sophisticated, and tactful.  Wins all around.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards