Registry and Gift Forum

When did you receive your first gift?

Our wedding will be 3 months from tomorrow and I've been registry stalking pretty much everyday and nothing's been purchased yet. My FMIL keeps telling me that when they got married, they were getting gifts 6 months in advance so I was just wondering what the norm was for everyone else?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: When did you receive your first gift?

• TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    Are you having any bridal showers?  I'd say then, but if not, I'd say maybe a month-ish before the wedding? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • About 8-9 wks before- but most started coming in about 3wks after invites went out. from the NO's :)  
  • edited May 2011
    I was a terrible registry stalker and most of the gifts got purchased either the week of my shower or the week before the wedding.  Despite etiquette that you should deliver (in person or via mail) wedding presents to the bride and groom before or up to a year after the wedding, we got quite a few physical gifts at the wedding.  I try to buy shower and wedding presents ahead of time now so that stalking brides (and pregnant women) can get excited about something :-)
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    imageimage
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
  • technically we havent recieved any in a wedding related event or mailings. We recieved a few for christmas. my mother bought stuff last summer for my bridal shower this summer lol. i suspect once I mail out my invites things will happen.
    Anniversary
  • We got a lot of things off the registry at our engagement party (in March - 6 months before wedding).  I've been stalking again; my shower is next weekend.
  • We had an early surprise shower in April given by church friends who were very excited for us.  Then later on we'll have a shower a month before our wedding in Oct.  It's kinda nice that way because then we won't register for stuff we received from the surprise shower and end up with doubles!
  • We have gotten several gifts off our registry for our engagement party this week, and our wedding is 9 months away. Its so exciting to come home and have gifts on your door already!
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • We announced our engagement just before Christmas last year and will be getting married 10/29/11...no gifts yet.  Our first shower is being planned for this August and we don't expect to receive anything before then.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I did not have a shower. I got my first gift about 3 months out. But I got VERY few other gifts until 3-4 weeks before the wedding, if any! In total, I got maybe 10 gifts before the wedding (we got about 40 gifts total, including gifts of cash).
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • We randomly received a gift from my uncle in December.  Aside from that and 2 other gifts we didn't receive any until the wedding and shower invites went out.
    Anniversary
  • I know exactly what you mean!  We had our shower about a month and a half before the wedding and a few things were purchased off the registry.  We're getting married in like 26 days and yesterday we received our first actual gift in the mail from someone who didn't come to the shower so I was pretty excited. 
  • We got engaged Dec 2009 and are getting married July 2. We still have not gotten a gift. My shower is coming up in the next few weeks, but even still we are about 6 weeks away from the wedding and nothing has arrived.
  • Ha! I've been stalking my registry too! My wedding is 2 months away and NOT A SINGLE GIFT has arrived. I'm trying not to be greedy or sweat it too much. Most of our guests are out-of-towners, and I'm not having any parties until the week of. We'll see...
  • 3 months beforehand, from the fiancee's newly-married sister (she probably registry-stalked too, which is why she did it so early) and then nothing until right before my shower.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards