Registry and Gift Forum

When is too soon to register??

My fiance and I are getting married in May 2011.
My aunt keeps insisting that we register before Christmas.
What do you guys think?
Is that too far in advance?
Also, if I do register for Christmas, should we do it in the begining of the month so people have enough time to order from it?

We basically have Nothing for our future home, we're keeping it very traditional as far as buying a home together before the wedding and not living together until after.
THANKS!
5*6*11 I will marry my best friend! Budget Bride that loves DIY! My planning blog- It's a work in progress http://futuremrsd.weebly.com Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: When is too soon to register??

• I was wondering the same thing because my fiance and I are getting married in July 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Since your aunt asked, you could go ahead and start your registry in early December or before the Christmas shopping crowds start.  Then beef it up before shower invitations go out if you're having a shower.

We registered in October or November for a May wedding.  Not so much was discontinued 5-6 months out, but 4 months out several things key to determining other items on our registry were discontinued - dishes (they weren't from a major line), comforter set and shower curtain.  They were all things we'd been picky about so it was kind of a pain to re-register for them.
  • We registered before Christmas for our June 2010 wedding and it was perfect. We got a lot off of our registry because our family members were so excited. 
  • I wasn't sure when to register either.  I always thought that you register closer to the wedding rather than the engagement.  However, some people say to register ASAP.  Personally, I set up registries when people started asking where we are registered. 

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think registering in December would be fine.  Most people register about 6 months out.  Just keep an eye on it incase items do get discontinued, or if you need to add more because people bought so much for Christmas. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it's fine to register now, especially if your aunt is asking. Just skip registering for things such as comforters, sheets, and towels. I learned from the registry consultant at Macy's that as a general rule those are the most likely things to be discontinued. Good luck and have fun!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_soon-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:a90d63d6-d074-4d4b-97b5-6a2cbc3e333dPost:e94fdc7f-19fb-4722-b433-90bc8fedda3e">Re: When is too soon to register??</a>:
    [QUOTE]We registered before Christmas for our June 2010 wedding and it was perfect. We got a lot off of our registry because our family members were so excited. 
    Posted by michaelandjulie2[/QUOTE]

Us too.. it was great!

If you do this, just make sure to keep an eye on the registries for stuff that gets discontinued.
  • My FI and I are getting married in March 2011- we went "browsing" last night at BB&B.  The Registry Co-ordinator came out and talked with us- he suggested starting the registry as soon as our STDs go out (in another 3 or 4 weeks or so) and definately before Christmas.  We will probably start registering for stuff in about a month or so. 
    Photobucket March 2011 September Siggy Challenge FAVORITE MOVIE BIO updated 8/15 Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards