Registry and Gift Forum

Registry Question...

My fiance wants to register at Sears to put tools on the registry....is it tacky to put tools on a wedding registry? I thought maybe 1 or 2 fairly inexpensive tools would be okay, but wanted to ask what other people's opinions were... Thanks!

Re: Registry Question...

• Tools are fine on a registry.  I'd be OK with up to 5 or 6 power tools plus some hand tools, and having an expensive one is alright too.  Just make sure that overall your registry has items in a wide variety of prices. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think a wedding registry is a fine place for tools.
  • The idea of the wedding registry is to give your family and friends a clear idea of things that would be useful or helpful to the new married couple.  Those items can be anything that you deem useful or helpful.  Some people don't need as many housewares, some people need camping gear, some people need tools.  Or some need a combination of different things.  

Aside from a cash or honeymoon registry (UGGGGH don't do this), a registry with a real store that has the convenience of online in addition to in-store, you should feel fine putting whatever items you and your FI deem "useful or helpful."  Don't feel bad if you feel like you're putting a lot of power tools on there... that's something a LOT of couples could use!!! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • I totally think it's fine; we are doing this also because the only tool we currently have is a hammer!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Offering a variety of types of gifts as well as prices is actually helpful.

I have had a lot of trouble with the whole registry thing. I was worried about putting on things that were too expensive, things that were too cheap, things that were too everyday. I had this idea that the things on it had to be all meaningful and special and yet not crazy expensive. It was very limiting. After talking to a lot of different people I just forced myself to get over it and make sure the list was full of things we actually want and would use.

If that includes tools for you by all means, include them.
    BabyFruit Ticker Me: 37 DH: 40 Married: 7/31/2011 TTC since September 2011 BFP: Nov. 22, 2012 EDD: July 29, 2013
  • We put tools on our registry. FI wanted something on there that he would use, and well I wanted something he could hang pictures with! ;) I think it is a really good idea! Especially if there is a possibility that you might have a couples shower, that way there is something for the guys to get FI.
    Anniversary
  • I think things on the registry should be stuff to help the couple in their home as they start the new chapter in their lives together. Tools totally fall into that category.

• edited November 2010
    We also registered at Sears for this reason.  DH wanted some tools for our new house and he wanted a few gifts that would just be "his" you know?  He didn't get too much from there but we went back with some of the wedding money and bought the rest of what he wanted. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with the others.  Tools are definitely something for your home that you will use for years.  As long as you have a variety of price points, register for all the tools you want/need.  

I really don't see the difference between registering for a screwdriver or a blender.  
  • A registry is meant to tell people what you would like to make your "house" into a "home" filled with (at least) two people (and potentially some pets)  that love each other.  That's it's nice to have new dishes, china, towels, and linens.  I think tools fit in this category because it will be used in your home to help make it what it is.  Definitely go for some tools (maybe focusing on basics that everyone would need, like a drill, saw, sander, plus hammers, screw drivers, levels, etc).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-question-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:aa56b448-fb0c-4bdc-ab31-39744392c107Post:6a8c1f23-0f04-4ac9-883d-a790b3479dc7">Re: Registry Question...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with the others.  Tools are definitely something for your home that you will use for years.  As long as you have a variety of price points, register for all the tools you want/need.  <strong> I really don't see the difference between registering for a screwdriver or a blender. </strong> 
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]
    This is exactly what I was going to say.

We registered at Sears and while it wasn't our most popular registry, we did get a number of tools.
    imageimageimage
  • I registered at Amazon and liked it until I tried to return anything.  The returns have to go through the gift givers account, which won't work if anything is out of date with their account.  Also, the return window is 30 days.  And if someone doesn't give you the gift right away and there is anything wrong with it, you can't return it.

However, I liked the universal registry function.  That lets you pick items from different stores and list them.  That way the return policy is with the store that it is bought from and you are less likely to have problems.
  • Tools are an awesome choice.  For our wedding, a group of friends got us camping gear.  That was a great gift.
  • why not?  I have paint on mine :)  

We used a different type of registry because we are trying to fix up our home- so we registered for all  kinds of things that would assist us in that.  You can really add all kinds of things to it so it didn't limit us in that way, so far, so good!  www.uponourstar.com

Worth a check if you want to register for some non-traditional stuff.  
  • Tools are fine.  You get your new kitchen, so why can't he get a new garage?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards