Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Bridesmaids gifts

What to get?  I absolutely do not want to get flasks/tote bags/clutch purses, monogrammed crap or any other matching stupid gifts that all these wedding sites sell. 

I was thinking of maybe paying for their hair to be done or for jewelry so they don't have to spend as much money but then that's not really a gift, it's something one of my bridesmaids suggested that she would like.  It's not very personal though....

I'd like to get them something they'd each individually like but I can't think of anything other than a gift card to their favorite store.  That seems kind of tacky too though. 

What can I get that isn't this crap they sell on the wedding store websites? 

Re: Bridesmaids gifts

• Options
    pashminas. 
    my sister bought me a roller-wheel carry-on bag for travel

another friend bought us earrings.
  • Options
    I don't really want to get them all the same thing because it seems impersonal and there is nothing that all of them would like except for maybe cash obviously.  But, if I get them different things I don't know if they'll feel weird like I spent more money or put more thought into one person or something....
  • Options
    I am getting my girls Ivory Pashmina's and a cutom made faux pearl bracelet with their favorite color incorporated with crystals.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options

I took my girls for a spa day the day before the wedding. We got mani/pedis, massages, and had lunch.  It was a blast.  Like you I didn't want to do the tote bags filled with crap.

I also bought their jewelry and wraps for the wedding, and paid for makeup, hair and lunch, but did not consider this their gift. 

• Options
    I don't think gift cards are tacky at all.  You could get each girl a card to a place that they really like, so it would be personal.  If a bride gave me a gift card to Target instead of a pashmina, I'd be thrilled.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    panda, I have to agree with you.  Every gift suggestion I see on these websites is something I would never want. 
  • Options
    i got them all bracelets in our colors, with their initials engraved on the heart.  I think they have them listed here on the knot somewhere!
  • Options
    Yeah a gift is NOT something in your wedding colors. Get them something you know they will want and use again often. I got my girls popular bags from my wedding area (Vineyard Vines) and I see them use them all the time. I knew they also wanted them. In fact, I would have gotten them the same thing for their birthday or Christmas. This ias a good rule of thumb, shop for them personally as opposed to broadly as 'token' bridesmaids gifts.

Also, hair, makeup and anything they actually use on the wedding day is not a gift. It just adds to your wedding instead of saying thankful in a personal way. Those things are great to do for them, but not a true gift.
  • Options
    You can totally get them different things, just try to spend about the same on each. How about an ipod nano or shuffle? Gift certificates for hair cuts or spa certificates (since one of them mentioned she'd like for you to pay for her hair)? What would you get them for their birthday? Concert tickets?

I think you have the right ideas. Monogrammed crap is never appreciated and buying their jewelry is not a real gift!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Do you have a coach outlet store near you? I am getting my bridesmaids all coach wristlets.  Each wristlet is different (I go periodically and pick up 1 or 2 here and there) and have kept it less than $50! Also, getting my mom a coach purse.  I do have one bridesmaid that wouldn't like coach so I am getting her a bag from Australia (going for work).. its in the same theme but something better suited for her.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I was going to get all my girls lavender pearl earrings and pay for their makeup....But maybe after reading this I will add on something more personal too! A nice heartfelt card for them to read on the wedding day would be nice and not add anything to the bill! Coach wristlets are a great idea, I always see them at the outlet for like $20.  What about initial pendants? There are some on the Tiffany website for only $60! I ordered them for my nieces for christmas. Good luck! Your girls will be thrilled to be part of your day and a gift is such a sweet gesture! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They all were going to pay for their hair/make up. None of them wanted to have to worry about either the day of. So I gifted that to them, so they could all just relax in the room rather then running around to salons to get this crap done. I also paid for most of their dresses.

I still wanted to give them a gift so I got them pashmina's (ivory) and each a frame. I wrote a nice note to each one, stating that I'm going to have my photographer take a picture of them, and who ever they would like. And then when I got the pictures, they could chose what picture they want, and I would order it for them to go in said picture frame. I thought it was a nice way to personalize things, without spending a lot of money, because I'm already spending around 200 each.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards