Registry and Gift Forum

Confused about gifts

I'm moving across the country right after the wedding, in less than 2 weeks. Several of our friends have commented that our registry is filled (we received almost everything at the bridal shower) and we need to sign up for more 'stuff'. With the help of an awesome future mother-in-law, great sales staff, and some cash I was able to get everything shipped to the other coast after the bridal shower. However, I won't have time to do that after the wedding since we are hitting the road almost immediately. Even if we needed more things, they won't fit in the car and we won't have time to ship them the day after the wedding (a Sunday). Also, we will be living in a 1 bedroom apt and really don't/can't fit need anything else that is available through gift registries. Some have suggested the Honeyfund, but we don't have a date or even a location nailed down for a honeymoon - so I kinda think that would be tacky. Is it? I haven't been to a lot of weddings, but is seems that once the registry is fulfilled you just give people cash. Any ideas? Comments? We are really saving up for a new couch and chair....and hopefully a honeymoon next year.

Re: Confused about gifts

• If I were in your shoes (and I sort of will be having a long-distance wedding and will have a number of gifts to bring back as well) I wouldn't register for anymore.  You'll probably get some unwanted gifts, but will most likely get cash and giftcards.  If you do get stuff you don't want, leave it for your parents to do something with,

• Don't register for more things just to register.  If someone else comments, say "well, we looked, but we really just don't need anything else.  Right now, we need to focus on the big move to X."  People will get the hint and give you cash.  Of course, there will be a few people who are just uncomfortable giving cash, and you'll have to graciously accept whatever they give.  

HM registries are tacky whether or not you've nailed down a HM.  It's just a cash registry.  People know cash is a welcome gift.  
  • Thank You! I agree with everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards