Registry and Gift Forum
Options

White vs colored china...

What are people registering for in terms of fine china, white/ivory or colors?  I feel like I should register for white, more simple, china to get the most use out of it over a lifetime but the set I really like so far is white, platinum and blue....

thoughts

Re: White vs colored china...

• Options
    Get what you really like and you'll use it more often!
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Do you see yourself loving that pattern for decades, or do you think it will be out of style or no longer your taste in a few years? 
  • Options
    edited February 2010

We're registering for white, but that's partially because we have a full set of colorful FiestaWare that I inherited a while ago.  We figured we have that for more  casual gatherings and will get white for more formal get-togethers. White is also nice because you can change the table decor (place mats, centerpieces, serving pieces) as your tastes change less expensively than buying new china.

That said, you should register for whatever you love and think you'll use for a long time.

imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I love the simple white china at C&B, so that's what we registered for. Dark blue and platinum are still neutral colors, so they will go with anything.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We got a very simple, classic set of white.  This way the plates can be dressed up with linens, etc.  And I can mix in pieces of my grandmother's pink and blue sets as well :)
  • Options
    We were going to register for white casual china, since we know we're inheriting heirloom china that's an ungodly shade of purple and we thought at least then we  could tone it down by mixing and matching for  large groups... but we ended up really loving a simple bi-colored blue and white pattern so that's what we registered for!

China is stressing me out a bit: The heirloom set is not only very old/fragile and not to my taste, but also a very valuble collector's item and I don't think I'll be able to even unpack it, it makes me so nervous that I might break a peice!
    imageimageAnniversary
  • Options
    We went with a classic china in a pattern we both love -- in gold, blue and red.  I love those colors and have for decades, so I trust it.  My everyday china is plain white.

That being said, look at this objectively.  My aunt still has china in harvest gold and olive green with a weird leaf pattern that could only come from the early 1960s.

So... is your china classic, or in 20 years will everyone know exactly when you got married by the color or pattern of your china?  If you want to look at some older patterns and colors, you can look at replacements.com for some ideas of things that have stood the test of time.  Maybe that'll help.
  • Options
    I registered for ivory, but just because it was the china that I liked. I would go with whatever you want.
  • Options
    Ours are off white with silver/grayish trim. Register for what you like. Everytime you use it you'll remember that they were wedding gifts from close friends and family.
  • Options
    I have white china and have been able to add colored pieces for different occassions.
  • Options
    Ours is white with a silver trim.  Very simple and classic, I can see myself using it in 40 years.  I registered for really bright everyday plates, I figure it is not a big deal if I get tired of those in the future.
  • Options
    White.  Because my parent's china is hideous. 

White is classic, easier to replace when broken, and goes with every random change I can make to the kitchen or dining room.
  • Options
    I think it's smart to keep it simple and classic with white or ivory, maybe with some silver or gold trim.  If you pick something trendy, you won't like it in 10 years or 40 years!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    As a registry consultant my best advice for you is that you first register for the items that you really want in your home together.  With that being said I suggest you do mostly white dishes and then add pieces to accent them with such as an accent plate with a pattern or color.  Maybe some colored stemware  or even some colored serving pieces!  Good Luck and congratulations!
  • Options
    We registered for white with a silver trim.  When we registered they did mention that more trendy patterns do get discontinued more often and sooner than the more classic patterns.  We wanted something that had been around for awhile and wasn't going to be discontinued so if we broke anything or wanted to add pieces we could. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    what i have found that i like so far is basically white, with some platinum details. very simple.
    Mr. & Mrs. REB
  • Options
    We are registered for a set from Bed Bath and Beyond (I got my first place setting at my shower on Saturday!)

Here's the link:
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=110116&RN=500

BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • Options
    We registered for a more casual set that is white square (modern) from Target, then we registered for a more formal set that is ivory with some beige and blue pattern on the edge.  It is classy and timeless, so even though it's not solid colors, we will still love in in 10, 20, 30+ years.
  • Options
    The woman who helped us intially set up our registry at Bed Bath and Beyond gave me great advice. She said don't pick something with too many colors or too drastic of a pattern. You will have your china froever and your taste will change to keep it simple. My china is an off white pattern and very elegant... sort of timeless. There were sets that I feel in love with but realized what she said were true so I took her advice and I am happy now and I am sure I will be happy with it in 30 years from now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards