Registry and Gift Forum

how common is this?

My FMIL asked us if we needed a toaster oven because she found a nice one for a good price at Costco. She bought one for herself, likes it and wanted to get us one. I told her we did register for one, it was the smaller size that we wanted, this one is a lot bigger, but I told her I would take the toaster oven off of the registry and thanked her for thinking of us. I am not going to say No you can't give us a gift becasue its not the exact one we want. 

Same thing just happened again over the weekend. My aunt called and said she wanted to get us a vaacum. She got her other neice a Dyson for her wedding which they loved and wanted to get us one too. She ordered it off of HSN and it is being shipped to us in a week or so. She said it wasn't the model that we had on our registry, but if we get it and we dont like it she will return it. But, I would never have her return it even if for some reason I didn't like it. If someone is offering to buy me a Dyson, I am not going to be rude and say no, I'd really rather have the other one. (which is about $200 more)

Is this common? Has it happened to you where people look at your registry and ask you if they can get you something similair and you just remove the other item? I know people do not have to get you things from your registry or even ANYTHING at all. I am just grateful that my family is so thoughtful.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: how common is this?

• Retread is correct.  As for the dyson, you can take it back to BBB even though it wasn't purchased there, get store credit, and buy the other model with an extra $200.  Probably can't do that with the toaster oven because the models sold at costco are often not widely available - but sometimes they are, so you might want to check.  We have received several extra plates, etc of our china even though our place settings are complete, and we plan on just quietly returning them to BBB for store credit.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OK actually nix that idea for the toaster - your MIL will come over and will probably see it.  But I still think the dyson suggestion could work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This has happened to me a couple of times, always from my wonderful parents. I think it usually comes from them seeing a good deal that they want to take advantage of. They find it helpful because then we are more likely to get the other items we've registered for. So far I've always been very happy to just smile and say thank you, but it hasn't been anything nearly as big ticket as a vacuum.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-common-is-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:b1a5b31e-6525-41e2-a2f5-d117aa3068f8Post:a530111a-4cb5-4515-a4b2-cbadd15b9ea9">how common is this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FMIL asked us if we needed a toaster oven because she found a nice one for a good price at Costco. She bought one for herself, likes it and wanted to get us one. I told her we did register for one, it was the smaller size that we wanted, this one is a lot bigger, but I told her I would take the toaster oven off of the registry and thanked her for thinking of us. I am not going to say No you can't give us a gift becasue its not the exact one we want.  Same thing just happened again over the weekend. My aunt called and said she wanted to get us a vaacum. She got her other neice a Dyson for her wedding which they loved and wanted to get us one too. She ordered it off of HSN and it is being shipped to us in a week or so. She said <strong><u>it wasn't the model that we had </u></strong>on our registry, but if we get it and we dont like it she will return it. But, I would never have her return it even if for some reason I didn't like it. If someone is offering to buy me a Dyson, I am not going to be rude and say no<strong><u>, I'd really rather have the other one. (which is about $200 more)</u></strong> Is this common? Has it happened to you where people look at your registry and ask you if they can get you something similair and you just remove the other item? I know people do not have to get you things from your registry or even ANYTHING at all. I am just grateful that my family is so thoughtful.
    Posted by french_mani[/QUOTE]

<div>My first thought was similar to that of Retread.  However, I wouldn't be opposed to a different brand, particularly in this case where the alternate vacuum is a quality brand. What I <em>would </em>want to know is why the price differential exists.  I would want to make sure that it at least has all the features and attachments that I need in a vacuum.</div>
  • well my aunt did say that if it wasnt what i wanted, she would return it for me. i will just try it out and be honest. she knows its not the model i registered for, but apparently its a new model and she got a great deal on HSN.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-common-is-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:b1a5b31e-6525-41e2-a2f5-d117aa3068f8Post:a530111a-4cb5-4515-a4b2-cbadd15b9ea9">how common is this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FMIL asked us if we needed a toaster oven because she found a nice one for a good price at Costco. She bought one for herself, likes it and wanted to get us one. I told her we did register for one, it was the smaller size that we wanted, this one is a lot bigger, but I told her I would take the toaster oven off of the registry and thanked her for thinking of us. I am not going to say No you can't give us a gift becasue its not the exact one we want.  Same thing just happened again over the weekend. My aunt called and said she wanted to get us a vaacum. She got her other neice a Dyson for her wedding which they loved and wanted to get us one too. She ordered it off of HSN and it is being shipped to us in a week or so. She said it wasn't the model that we had on our registry, but if we get it and we dont like it she will return it. But, I would never have her return it even if for some reason I didn't like it. If someone is offering to buy me a Dyson, I am not going to be rude and say no, I'd really rather have the other one. (which is about $200 more) Is this common? Has it happened to you where people look at your registry and ask you if they can get you something similair and you just remove the other item? I know people do not have to get you things from your registry or even ANYTHING at all. I am just grateful that my family is so thoughtful.
    Posted by french_mani[/QUOTE]

<div>My Aunt said that they found my Corningware that I had registered for at a different store for a really good price and asked if they bought that for me, could I take it off my registry? So I did! I also was really touched by her thoughtfulness and the fact that she figured out our wedding gift almost a year in advance! </div>
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards