Registry and Gift Forum

Wishing well!

We are having a big wedding and we have everything we need. We decided that we want to do a wishing well instead of gifts and not sure how we put this info on the invitations. Some people don't even know what the wishing well is. How do I put this into words for the invitations so that everyon e knows that a wishing well is for money to help the new couple get started or to help send them on their honeymoon? Any Suggestions?

Re: Wishing well!

• First of all, you NEVER put information about gifts on invitations.  If someone wants to give you a gift, they will ask what you want.

Second of all, if you have everything you need, you don't need people to throw money into a big bucket for you.  Word of mouth that you're saving up for a honeymoon is cool.  You'll find that people here hate the 'honeyfund', but it's worlds better than this.
    murrayed
  • You never, ever put anything about gifts or registries in the invitation.  That's so rude.

There's no polite way to ask for cash.  Dressing it up with a wishing well doesn't make it any less rude.  If you don't need anything, don't register and decline any showers.  Guests that are comfortable giving cash will take the hint and give you cash.  Giving things cutesy names doesn't make it any less rude.
  • You absolutely do not EVER ask for presents or money on an invitation. It looks gift grabby, and frankly I wouldn't blame them for thinking that judging by your eagerness to do this.

I get that many couples are established and don't need all the towels and trimmings newly weds out of college need, but many people still feel they want to give an actual gift and not money. You should accomodate your guests by making a small registry. You also spread your desire for money by word of mouth. Most people are going to write you a check anyway, let them do so and use the money as you wish.
  • This same thing has been posted 5 times now, just so happens it was on my local & my month too. Im pretty sure it isnt real.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wishing-well?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:b1b3d377-ab18-41be-9c46-d44fcc173eb0Post:e9b01d94-3c43-4128-bfe3-a4a6fbd16c27">Wishing well!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having a big wedding and we have everything we need. We decided that we want to do a wishing well instead of gifts and not sure how we put this info on the invitations. Some people don't even know what the wishing well is. How do I put this into words for the invitations so that everyon e knows that a wishing well is for money to help the new couple get started or to help send them on their honeymoon? Any Suggestions?
    Posted by katelin8[/QUOTE]
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wishing-well?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:b1b3d377-ab18-41be-9c46-d44fcc173eb0Post:f43479be-c34e-4646-9830-db04d3449e00">Re: Wishing well!</a>:
    [QUOTE]This same thing has been posted 5 times now, just so happens it was on my local & my month too. Im pretty sure it isnt real.
    Posted by mainemommy[/QUOTE]

oh it is real. people are always in the market for gifts that will benefit them without regard to the people who are giving them...
  • A wishing well is not a cash gift; it's a small knick-knack type thing that you give extra at showers. When you go to a shower, you bring your regular, big gift. Then you bring a small thing (like a can opener, or dishtowels) for the wishing well.... just an fyi.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wishing-well?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:b1b3d377-ab18-41be-9c46-d44fcc173eb0Post:930ee2f5-6bc3-450e-b5e4-ca3a091f992f">Re: Wishing well!</a>:
    [QUOTE]A wishing well is not a cash gift; it's a small knick-knack type thing that you give extra at showers. When you go to a shower, you bring your regular, big gift. Then you bring a small thing (like a can opener, or dishtowels) for the wishing well.... just an fyi.
    Posted by LisaTyler1984[/QUOTE]

Obviously wishing well has a different meaning in the OPs area/circle. It happens.
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards