Registry and Gift Forum

Cannot ship gifts home - what can we do?

Hi Ladies,

I have read here a lot about registering or not, but haven't seen so far anything similar to our situation, so I would be curious of your opinion.
My Fi and I are living overseas (just got engaged:-)), but we are going to get married in the US next year. After the wedding we are planning to come back to Central Europe and live here for at least a few more years.
This means, despite I would not mind creating a registry, we are literally unable to ship anything overseas (because we'll be moving between two continents, and also because we are renting a flat here). I also cannot expect my in-laws in the US to store stuff for us for years until we move back.
Therefore we need an alternative option to give a chance to our 100 guests to give a gift, if they want to.

I am just becoming familiar with US traditions, "do"s and "don't"s now, but I see that asking our guests to donate for our "house fund" would be really rude. (Couples have no problem to tell this to guests in my country, and they are fine with it too.)

What other solutions can you suggest for me? How do you think I can let our guests know this as I see it's rude to even mention gifts on the invitation card?

Thank you for your help!

Re: Cannot ship gifts home - what can we do?

• Congrats on the engagement!  Is there a way you could register for gifts @ stores in the area you're currently residing?  That way, it alleviates all the shipping and people can just go online.
  • You can set up a registry via amazon.co.uk to ship things through Europe, or you can just not register.  We were living in Italy (now Sweden) and know that we'll be back in the US eventually and already have a storage space so we did register, but we got nothing from the registry- everyone gave us cash.

Honestly, I was bummed about the cash because we really needed/wanted everything on there, even if it went into storage for a bit. 
  • Thank you :)
    Unfortunately in my country online registry does not really exist... It would be a good business to set up here a system like that :-) I'm afraid though this would take a bit more time.
  • Thank you, Amazon is one thing to consider too. Do you think it is rude to ask for MasterCard/Visa gift cards?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_cannot-ship-gifts-home-can?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:b59c8d11-4732-482a-8402-b2b543241ac8Post:a32ea9ef-ff68-4dcc-99ef-0a00efa01815">Re: Cannot ship gifts home - what can we do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you, Amazon is one thing to consider too. Do you think it is rude to ask for MasterCard/Visa gift cards?
    Posted by Eskuvo[/QUOTE]

Yep.  Absolutely.  If you think cash would be best, then just don't register for anything at all, and spread, via word of mouth that is what you'd prefer.
  • Yeah, if you don't register, it is mostly assumed that cash is appropriate. Then you can go on a shopping spree in Europe =) Spread the word that you would have a hard time getting gifts back to your country.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_cannot-ship-gifts-home-can?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:b59c8d11-4732-482a-8402-b2b543241ac8Post:35d9595a-cd1d-4e7e-b99c-41ef7c0b71b8">Re: Cannot ship gifts home - what can we do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, if you don't register, it is mostly assumed that cash is appropriate. Then you can go on a shopping spree in Europe =) Spread the word that you would have a hard time getting gifts back to your country.
    Posted by Manwaithiel[/QUOTE]
     In all honesty, I'd leave the money in the US because while the Euro/Dollar conversion isn't as bad as it has been, it's definitely not beneficial and the shopping spree would be pretty short-lived.
  • Thank you for all your answers, it's really helpful to me. My in-laws were here for a month and managed to discuss it a bit more. I think I going to keep your advices. Thanks again :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards