Registry and Gift Forum

Question About A "Couple's Shower"

Hi Everyone!

My fiance and I are getting married in October and some long time female friends of his want to throw us a couple's shower, which I thought was super nice of them to do. They have all been friends from church for a long time and apparantly it is an unoffical tradition for this group of friends to throw a couple's shower for friends who are getting married. My question is that I have never been to a couple's shower- are they fun? Do guys really want to come? Have any of you ladies been to one? How did it go?
Anniversary image BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Question About A "Couple's Shower"

• I have never been to one, but they do sound like fun. I think it's more like an egagement party with gift opening. Since guys are invited the girly-girly stuff is usually kept to a minimum. I think it's awesome that your friend want to throw one for you! Have fun!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've been to a couple.  They've always been like a backyard BBQ.  Really laid back and relaxing, some games like horseshoes and croquet, and either catered BBQ or Italian or someone is actually manning the BBQ.  They're fun and everyone usually has a great time.  And yes, there's gifts involved.  It's kind of a nice way for your guys to get some good stuff off the registry (like tools) since their friends will be there too.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited June 2010
    I have hosted one n the past when I was MOH for a friend, and she is now doing the same for me. I personally like them a lot. It makes the whole thing a little more laid back, more of a party. We had a lot of people come to hers, and it was a nice way for the groom's friends to be included, as well as everyone's significant others. We just catered out the food, set up some alcohol, opened the presents and had a good time.

Photobucket
  • My FSIL had one and it was really fun.  It was just like a backyard party but with presents.  The guys had fun cause it wasn't "shower like" you know?  There was plenty of food, drinks, and fun party games like people described above.  FI had a great time :) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the feedback! I like the backyard BBQ idea, which is, if I understood my fiance's and my friends correctly, the kind of party they are going for.
  • I've had 2 showers, and one was a couple's shower, one was just girls. And for me, the couple's one was SO much better! I don't like big crowds of people, so I felt alot more comfortable having my fiance there, and there's something guys can bring to the party that girls can't, so I think it's great! The guys even enjoyed some shower games. We played one where we gave questions to everyone to get their advice, things like "What's your best mariage advice?" and "What do you do if your spouse snores?", then they each wrote their answers on a separate card. Then the questions were put in one hat, and the answers in another. The best man and maid of honor then proceeded to randomly draw one of each and put them together on a "Marriage Advice" board. Some of them were totally hilarious!! One that we got out of it was, "The in-laws call and say they're in the area and are dropping by for dinner, and your house is a wreck. What do you do?" The answer, "Go to bed." :)
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • i went to one last year for a couple that are my good friends and it was so much fun. alot of food and games aand a very good relaxing atmosphere. we had a blast. the same couple is throwing for me and i am looking forward to it.  and yes the guys had a ball too and it gives the groom a chance to register for a few things he wants which he will secretly enjoy!
  • Never been to one, but my aunts are throwing us a couples shower a few days before the wedding. I'm really excited about it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My shower was a couples shower and of all the showers I've been to, Jack and Jills are always a ton more fun! I find Bridal Showers (women only) to be more stuffy and akward where as at Wedding Showers (guys and gals) people are more relaxed and have a good time. Plus at our shower I had help opening our presents!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I honestly LOVED the couples shower we had. We had it as a very casual, family affair where people could bring their kids if they wanted. We even had a bonfire. I feel that our style as a couple was pretty informal and we wanted to at least have one event that we did together that represented us. It was a blast! And everyone (guy, gal, boy, girl) loved it. It was way more entertaining than a bridal shower. We also did not subject people to gift opening either (which imo, is SO painful to watch and sit through). We saved that for the next day when it was just him and I and we could just go through the gifts.
  • I've been to one that was a lot of fun. It wasn't very showery though. It was held in the parents of the groom's backyard. Tons of food, beer, mixed drinks, and an ice cream sundae bar for dessert. People just hung out and mingled. There was bocce and cornhole set up, so a lot of people were playing that.  They did do a couple games - one was a bunch of childhood pictures of bride and groom and you had to guess the ages.

They didn't open gifts at the shower. They just opened them later and then sent out thank yous. I kind of like the gift opening part, but it was a pretty big shower, so I think it was probably a good plan to skip that. It would've killed the vibe of the party.
  • I guess it'd be like an engagement party. I'd rather do couples than just girls, no offense to all us women but I get kinda bored at traditional showers. But you go and smile and do your thing because thats what friends do. 

My fiancee and I kinda want to do a couples shower with our friends. I think it'd be tons of fun. Its just a big get together with your friends celebrating the upcoming wedding. How is that not fun?! :D
    Trust your heart, love knows the way. Pregnancy Ticker
  • My FILs threw my FI and me a surprise wedding shower.  It was basically a dinner party with presents at the end.  It was fun and relaxed.  And my FI opened all of the gifts, which was nice because I always get paper cuts when I unwrap things.
  • Well, my fiance's and my friends set the date for our "couples shower" for August 28th, yay! They are still trying to figure out a name for the party because my fiance gets freaked out when people say "shower", haha! Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards