Registry and Gift Forum

Honeymoon Registries

My fiance and have been living with each othe for the past three years. Our house is fully equiped. Any thoughts on honeymoon registries instead of regular registries?

Re: Honeymoon Registries

• My FI and I are in the exact same position as you. We are having a DW at an all inclusive resort, and they do have a honeymoon registry. We signed up for it! I think it's a fabulous idea, esp. for our friends who are young and trendy.

Now, according to my older female relatives, they liked the idea but indicated that there are people of older generations who will want to buy a physical gift for you. For people who feel that way, we put together a registry list for a few things we would not normally buy ourselves but had talked about wanting.
  • A honeymoon registry is just a disguised registry for cash and considered very tacky.  
  • I've discovered that a lot of people think this is a great idea on the surface, but unless you really think about what this is, it's just not.  You use a company, and they take a portion of the money.  WHY would you want someone to take some of your gifts?  If I were a guest, I'd rather just hand you cash than see it go to some weirdo website just for hosting your spot.

If you TRULY don't need anything (which I doubt) then just don't register, and people will give you cash most likely.  You should probably also create a small registry with upgrades on it, or things that are "dream" items so that if someone is like me, and doesn't like to give cash, you can have a place to direct them.
  • Check out the sticky thread at the top of the forum called "Don't know what to register for?" to get some ideas on things you might not have thought of.  When you really go through it, it's surprising what you may not have.

FWIW, my FI and I have been living together for a year (and unofficially living together for two more) and we still have a full registry.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • I think this is basically asking for cash. My best friend did this a couple years ago and the older guests and family members were appalled.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registries-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:beec99ea-ee68-4b20-bea9-4eba7506b163Post:9999c93f-56a4-43db-a2b6-8c97525c2ad2">Re: Honeymoon Registries</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would like to clarify about my comment earlier... our honeymoon registry is for specific items that our resort offers (spa items, dinner on the beach, river tours, sunset cruise, etc), not for "please send us $100" to help pay for our honeymoon. They did have that option and both my FI and I thought that was very tacky, and did not add that as an item on our registry. It sounds like you are looking at a company that offers this service? I looked at some of those, and was not all that happy about them taking a portion in fees. Because ours is resort specific, we aren't being charged processing fees. I have discussed this with several of my family members whom I know to be very traditional and persnickety, and they have all said it sounds neat. And again, ours isn't asking for money, but gifts that translate at our resort. But then like many PPS have said, some people will not like it (older family & friends), but some will like the idea. I guess you just have to weigh your guest list, and what they might think about it. Good luck!
    Posted by jandowedding[/QUOTE]

<div>Actually, once you get into it, you will see that that's exactly what it is.  When someone buys you the dinner on the beach, or spa massage, the guest sends honeyfund or whomever the $100.  Then the company takes a cut, and sends you a check for $95.  You then have the choice whether to buy that dinner, or to just pocket the cash.  </div><div>
    </div><div>This is why people also call them deceptive.  </div><div>
    </div><div>But even if this weren't the case, it's still tacky to register for a vacation.  </div>
  • As I said above:

Ours is directly our resort hosting the registry. We are not receiving a check from anyone, and there is no third party administration. This I am 100% sure about as I asked the resort directly. The gift is held for our use as the gift given and must be reserved as such, and we must use it as that. It must be used during our stay, and is non-refundable. So if we don't use it (which we wouldn't do cause it's a gift), we don't get any cash.

So, in that it seems it may not help "LiveLifeToLive" as ours seems to be a very specific situation as it turns out, thank you for your opinion.

• Jando--What resort is this?  I think it's a very cool idea. It's like taking the honeymoon registry a whole step further and making it into tangible gifts! I'm intrigued....
  • Honeyfund has no fees involved. FYI unless you want the guest to pay via paypal, then paypal takes the std 3% for using their site.
  • We are doing a honeymoon registry through Travelers Joy.  I am a 2-time homeowner and thought it would be tacky to ask for gifts I didn't need, so we wanted to do the honeymoon registry.  It is our wedding and if people think it is tacky to do it this way, then they can get us nothing or they can get us what they want to.  Even while registering from a store, people still get you gifts not on your registry so either way, some people still do what they want to.  Travelers Joy lets you really personalize the items.  Instead of saying buy us dinner one evening, I've been really specific to say where we'll actually be eating (I've been to Hawaii before so have an idea what we'll be doing).  Also the thing I like about Travelers Joy is they don't charge the person buying you a gift an extra fee on top of the gift.  Whenever you want to get your cash from the site, they charge a 7.5% fee so that you see the fee, not your guests.  When people spend money on a wedding gift,  they probably take shipping and tax into account in the total amount they want to spend.  They might spend $50 but the gift was actually only worth $40.  With the honeymoon registry, people buying you the gift don't pay shipping or tax or any extra fee.  And the 7.5% fee is usually less than tax would be on a traditional item anyway.
  • I agree with the posts with the positive outlook on the honeymoon registry.

Many people now have been living on their own or with the FI for years before their wedding and I would also find it tacky to ask for things, I dont need. I think this may depend on the circles you run in and what the people you know value more. We are having a smaller traditional registry and a honeyfund. My FI family and well as my own value travel and have been very very excited about the honeyfund. 

My fi also just bought a gift for a friend off of their honeyfund. Their wedding was this last weekend, and their honeyfund registry was completely paid for..... it ended up having more things paid for than their regular Macy's registry. So it really depends. You know your guests and how they would react, and maybe make a decision from there.

Just something to think about!

• There is really no contest here in my mind. If there was ever a possibility my guests would be offended by something, I just wouldn't do it. Don't register and people will give you cash and you can use it for what you want. It is ridiculous to make people jumpy through hoops online (with fees) for something many people are offended by, just to satisfy yourself. Gifts are meant to be an added bonus, not a ploy to up your vacation itinerary.
  • I actually recently posted a question just like this since my fiance and I are seriously thinking about having a honeyfund as an option for wedding gifts.  I was surprised about how many people FIERCELY believe that honeyfunds are tacky.  I never thought of it as being so.  I have a friend who registered for a toilet plunger -- I think that's really tacky!  If your resort has a honeyfund available, I think it's a great option for your guests to give you an experience (i.e. scuba diving, dinner, etc) than a tangible item.  It's like giving someone cooking lessons or gift certificate to a restaurant.  I think that if it's something you really want to do, then do it.  You can't make everyone happy at your wedding.  Keep in mind it's your wedding and your honeymoon!  Enjoy it! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registries-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:beec99ea-ee68-4b20-bea9-4eba7506b163Post:48ee6d15-fa9d-4932-bba4-fd98ca5bc4dd">Re: Honeymoon Registries</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I think that if it's something you really want to do, then do it.  You can't make everyone happy at your wedding.  Keep in mind it's your wedding and your honeymoon!  Enjoy it! 
    Posted by Brooke2102[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!

I was directed here from my own post. I wasn't asking for OPINIONS on whether or not a honeymoon registry is tacky. I DON'T CARE, we're doing one. It's OUR wedding and honestly, if someone is going to be offended by something like that then I'm not sure I want that person experiencing OUR day with us.

That said...all I really wanted was suggestions of websites or ways to do this. So if anyone has those, without all the whining about honeymoon registries being tacky, please let me know.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards