Registry and Gift Forum

my wedding is in Chicago, but I live in Connecticut! How do I keep people from buying me heavy thing

Our wedding is going to be in Chicago, but we live in Connecticut. Both of our families are in Chicago and many of them don't necessarily know that we live so far away (we moved only last year).

How can I tell people not to give me bulky gifts? I don't want to have to ship a ton of stuff to myself, which could cost hundreds of dollars. I wouldn't mind if people shipped things to my apartment in Connecticut! But how do I tell them that I prefer them to ship things to me instead of bring gifts to the wedding. Or that I prefer gift cards or money.

I will not include information about gifts on the wedding invitations--I think that's kind of tacky. If I include the info on the save the date cards, people will forget by the time the wedding rolls around in July. And about 30% of our guests are not internet-savvy enough that including the info on our website will be helpful to them.

Can I return items to stores? Will most people include receipts? Can I indicate on the registry that people should ship things to me?

What should I do???

Re: my wedding is in Chicago, but I live in Connecticut! How do I keep people from buying me heavy thing

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wedding-chicago-but-live-connecticut-keep-people-buying-heavy-things?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:c1738a91-7522-47af-8dd1-1bee4fab1866Post:619311bf-8f16-46cf-a1f8-f81be8c0b2fd">my wedding is in Chicago, but I live in Connecticut! How do I keep people from buying me heavy things?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our wedding is going to be in Chicago, but we live in Connecticut. Both of our families are in Chicago and many of them don't necessarily know that we live so far away (we moved only last year). How can I tell people not to give me bulky gifts? I don't want to have to ship a ton of stuff to myself, which could cost hundreds of dollars. I wouldn't mind if people shipped things to my apartment in Connecticut! But how do I tell them that I prefer them to ship things to me instead of bring gifts to the wedding. Or that I prefer gift cards or money. I will not include information about gifts on the wedding invitations--I think that's kind of tacky. If I include the info on the save the date cards, people will forget by the time the wedding rolls around in July. And about 30% of our guests are not internet-savvy enough that including the info on our website will be helpful to them. Can I return items to stores? Will most people include receipts? Can I indicate on the registry that people should ship things to me? What should I do???
    Posted by kathrynandsimon[/QUOTE]
  • Most of our gifts were sent dirrectly to our home. 

Many stores w/ registries allow you to make returns easily.  Then you can re-buy back home. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto PPs.

The only other thing I'd suggest is if you're having a shower in Chicago that the hostesses state something like "Our bride will be flying in from her new home in CT for the shower."

It gets the point across that you're not local but doesn't go so far as to tell them what to buy or how to give gifts.
  • At most stores, when you sign up for the registry they ask for the address where you want gifts to be shipped.  So just put your CT address on there.  Most of our registry gifts were shipped to our house too, so I woudln't worry too much about it.

There is no polite way to request cash/gift cards.  If people ask what you want, you can tell them you are saving up for XXX or whatever, but only if they ask.

And yes, you can always return the items to the store for credit and rebuy at home.  Even if you don't get a gift receipt with the item, I know BBB will let you return it if it was purchased off the registry.

Do you really think your family doesn't know where you live?  I guess I would also have the RSVP cards and return address on the invitations be your CT address so that they realize you don't live in Chicago anymore.  But if they are close enough to come to your wedding, shouldn't they know where you live?
  • Make sure your CT address is on the registries. Word of mouth is the best way to get the information out...  your parents can kindly reminder older family members that you will be going back to CT after the wedding and that gifts can be shipped directly to your home. Most people are refraining from bringing big boxes to the actual wedding, anyways.

Don't put registry info on save the dates, just put your website link. The shipping information will be on your registry.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Ditto PPs. Most people will choose to have the gifts shipped to you (rather than carrying them to the wedding). And as long as they buy off the registry you can return it in Chicago without a receipt and then just buy it back in CT.
  • Are you flying to Chicago from CT?  I wonder if you wouldn't mind having the gifts on-hold with your family in Chicago and when someone drives to visit you, or you drive back home to CT, any gifts that cannot be returned and bought in CT could be delivered.

Also... you might consider asking your shower organizers to include something like "please ship large packages directly to bride's home" or something on the shower invite info... I don't know if that's tacky, but it might work in your special circumstances. 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards