Registry and Gift Forum

Question about registering for china

I found a pattern I love, and I think it's a fairly timeless piece that I will keep and probably display. I'm wondering, should I register for the set or for individual pieces? I honestly connot think of a reason I would need those tiny cups and saucers. Is it appropriate to register for just plates? Or should I go ahead and just register for the sets?
PersonalMilestone Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Question about registering for china

• Here are my thoughts:

First, don't register for china at all if you won't use it.  Displaying it is nice (I guess?) but your guests will collectively spend several thousand dollars buying it for you, and if you have no intention of ever using it from the get-go I think that's kind of crappy to be honest.  Odds are it's going to be on display for most of the year anyway, but I feel like intending to use it at least now and then is sort of a prerequisite for registering for it.  I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but it's how your post reads to me.

Second, I personally find teacups very useful.  I like saucers because you can prepare tea or coffee after dinner without getting it everywhere.  The original intention of twacups is to accommodate you at tea time (4:00) or after dinner.  Odds are, you aren't going to be guzzling coffee at those times to really wake you up.  Most china patterns don't include breakfast cups.  That's a different thing altogether, and they are larger.

Third, most American china companies these days do have an option to buy mugs in addition to or instead of the teacup.  My Lenox pattern, for instance, has an optional "accent mug" which is closer to the size of a coffee mug that we all use for breakfast (it's at the very bottom of the page):

Fourth, register for what you will use.  The place settings are a much better price collectively than the pieces individually, but if you will only use mugs and not the teacups don't take up space with teacups.  I will use the teacups because my family has always done the coffee after dinner thing when we pull out the nice china, so I chose the place settings.  None of us wants to drink a huge thing of coffee right before bed, but a little with dessert is a nice touch.  Some people register for every single type of thing their china pattern makes and that's usually overkill.  Are you really going to be serving soup courses which would require you to buy soup bowls?  Probably not.  But you will probably need a platter for the turkey at Thanksgiving.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for your responses. I do plan on using the china for special events like holidays or nice dinners. We even entertain quite a bit now, and the FI is in medical school so I have a feeling they might get even more use in the future. The reason I mentioned displaying the china was because I didn't know if it would look wierd without the cups/saucers.

As for their function, most of the nice dinners I've been to use wine glasses instead of the cups. We're not big fans of coffee so maybe we'll register for 2-3 sets and then just the plates?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_question-about-registering-for-china?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:c9a19912-7ad9-49c4-aa39-a1b4203065caPost:7e6d3384-9f6f-43ab-90de-87dc143cade4">Re: Question about registering for china</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for your responses. I do plan on using the china for special events like holidays or nice dinners. We even entertain quite a bit now, and the FI is in medical school so I have a feeling they might get even more use in the future. The reason I mentioned displaying the china was because I didn't know if it would look wierd without the cups/saucers. As for their function, most of the nice dinners I've been to use wine glasses instead of the cups. We're not big fans of coffee so maybe we'll register for 2-3 sets and then just the plates?
    Posted by danielm18[/QUOTE]

I'd encourage you to get the cups.  Entertainment sets are about making your guests comfortable, not really about personal taste (beyond the pattern).  So perhaps you don't like coffee after dinner, but some people really do.  Especially if they would like taper off drinking alcohol during the evening when they have to drive home.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_question-about-registering-for-china?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c9a19912-7ad9-49c4-aa39-a1b4203065caPost:478644e1-685a-4ee2-8ae6-d3c73bd7c6d1">Re: Question about registering for china</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about registering for china : I'd encourage you to get the cups.  Entertainment sets are about making your guests comfortable, not really about personal taste (beyond the pattern).  So perhaps you don't like coffee after dinner, but some people really do.  Especially if they would like taper off drinking alcohol during the evening when they have to drive home.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]
    Ok, thanks!So I take it I'll need more than 2-3? idk, I'll just register for sets. Thanks again guys
  • Right now I don't have a huge use for it, but I plan to entertain fairly often once we're settled somewhere. 

Here's the set  I'm looking at if anyone's interested 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_question-about-registering-for-china?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c9a19912-7ad9-49c4-aa39-a1b4203065caPost:427c5a1e-0867-4bf1-98dc-6dbf4b629ab7">Re:Question about registering for china</a>:
    [QUOTE]Considering the price, which by my standards is definitely on the high side at $150 per setting, I would register for a mix of sets and individual pieces. Personally, I would go with 10 sets and 10 of each separate piece.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

<div>Sorry, but that's not on the high side.   It's pretty much par for the course. I know a lot of girls that register for the $350-$500+ sets.  </div><div>
    </div><div>OP, register for the place settings - you need at least 8.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_question-about-registering-for-china?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c9a19912-7ad9-49c4-aa39-a1b4203065caPost:ab97555c-b8f5-48b0-ab8f-f70ddbab1a8c">Re: Question about registering for china</a>:
    [QUOTE]Right now I don't have a huge use for it, but I plan to entertain fairly often once we're settled somewhere.  Here's the set  I'm looking at if anyone's interested  <a href="http://www1.macys.com/shop/registry/wedding/product/vera-wang-wedgwood-dinnerware-lace-gold-5-piece-place-setting?ID=204843&CategoryID=53630" rel="nofollow">http://www1.macys.com/shop/registry/wedding/product/vera-wang-wedgwood-dinnerware-lace-gold-5-piece-place-setting?ID=204843&CategoryID=53630</a>
    Posted by danielm18[/QUOTE]

Oh heeeey, I just looked at the link.  Those are gorgeous!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• edited December 2012
    In all honestly I'm not to worried about the price. Yes they are kinda expensive but we registered for of other cheaper things to, including everyday plates. So.. yea they can pick their price range. And there's a few people on FI side that this seems right up their ally.

So I should register for enough to serve ~8 people? And I do realise I probably won't get all the pieces
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_question-about-registering-for-china?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c9a19912-7ad9-49c4-aa39-a1b4203065caPost:07d4d713-7a43-4cf2-bc4d-b3cce5f1328f">Re: Question about registering for china</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about registering for china : Oh heeeey, I just looked at the link.  Those are gorgeous!
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]
    Thanks!
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_question-about-registering-for-china?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c9a19912-7ad9-49c4-aa39-a1b4203065caPost:db37ae3e-975d-4f41-8858-7d6dd82b7bef">Re:Question about registering for china</a>:
    [QUOTE]That china is NOT high-priced.  That's an average price for a place setting.  Macy's runs great sales on china, and you can probably get a place setting for around $90 on sale. Register for settings AND per piece. Yes - you can do both, or I did, and that was only 20 years ago, before Macy's bought out Foley's. That china is beautiful, and too pretty to be kept on a shelf.  Use it every day.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you.  Sorry if PP thought it was a snobby comment - it wasn't meant to be.  My point is that $100-$175 retail is average.  You can buy (usually plain, undecorated) china for under $100 and there are a lot of patterns that go up much higher than that.  "Reasonable" prices vary by circles, and I truly do know many people who register for the $350+ sets (Herend, Mottehadeh, Royal Crown Derby, Pickard, etc.).  I didn't - mine is $130 (Lenox - and Wedgwood is it's English competitor, which is who makes all the Vera Wang lines).    But my point is not to tell the OP that the sets are too expensive simply because it's not something you would buy.  Unless this is something you spend a lot of time looking at and researching (I do - it's a hobby of mine), don't tell her it's on the high end, because that might make her feel bad about the price.  If people in her circle think it's too high, then they won't buy it.  Easy.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, something else I recommend if you are interested in finishing it off yourself is to stalk ebay and replacements.com.  You can pick up some incredible deals.  The pattern FI and I regsitered for is a platinum-based pattern, but we also wanted a gold-based one as well.  Since we were talking about a second pattern, though, we didn't want to make a huge investment in it - we just wanted something that was fancier than what we registered for to be used for special occasions, because we use our platinum pattern on a weekly basis. Just 2 weeks ago I ran into an incredible deal on a pattern I've always loved called Preston (black and gold - very very formal). Wedgwood retired it in the 90's, so you can't buy it in stores anymore.  But yes, I found it brand new on ebay for $25/place setting still in the packaging with the stickers on the back.  I bought every place setting the guy had, along with a brand new platter for $30.  That pattern retailed for the same price as yours.</div><div>
    </div><div>Your pattern isn't going to be retiring any time soon - it's popular enough that they make it in both silver and gold, which is relatively uncommon, particularly for Wedgwood.  But because it's so popular, there will be hundreds of listings for various pieces on ebay.  BTW, I particularly love the salad plates from your pattern.  My mother actually got me a pair to mix with our silver pattern, along with pairs of salad plates from other patterns that are platinum-based.  It's a fun, eclectic look that we use when company comes over.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh and yes you need to register for at least 8 place settings.  8 or 12 is standard.  We are registering for 16 dinner plates of our everyday (fiesta) so that we only have to run the dishwasher once or twice a week.  Just consider how many people you might be hosting for holidays and go from there.  I know one girl who regsitered for 20 place settings because her family is ginormous - that's probably overkill because pulling out the nice stuff when that many people come over is a PITA, but still.  True story.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_question-about-registering-for-china?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c9a19912-7ad9-49c4-aa39-a1b4203065caPost:cd79cef4-c203-4acb-8d67-3465306c769f">Re:Question about registering for china</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Question about registering for china : First of all, my comment was about the $150 price point in general, not the specific cost of the china itself.  And I did NOT suggest that the OP shouldn't register for it.  What I did recommend is that she register for both the five piece setting, AND for individual pieces themselves.  If you'll re-read her OP, it asks "Should I register for the set or for individual pieces?"  And "Is it appropriate to register for just plates? Or should I go ahead and just register for the sets?"  Which are the questions I answered. Personally, I would pick up the dinner and salad plates for a shower, and then the saucer, tea cup and bread and butter plate for the wedding (or, if the OP decides against wanting the tea cups, then another dinner and salad plate duo).  This way the OP still ends up with the same result - the china she wants.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That's fine - and maybe a few people would buy it piecemeal.  But OP should see what is common in her circle.  This doesn't happen in my circle - people buy the sets - because it nearly always saves people a lot of money to buy it as a set.  And if a guest wanted to give half at the shower and half at the wedding, I don't understand why that guest would buy 5 different pieces... instead of buying the single set and splitting it up into two gifts.  The only reason to buy 5 different pieces is if that's how the bride registered for it - and the guest wants it marked off the list.  But then the guest is out $150 total instead of $120 or whatever, and that seems unreasonable. Just my $0.02. I would also think that if OP registered both the sets and individual pieces then she'd end up really registering for 16 or 24 full settings.  She could get all of it, and that's a PITA in terms of returns, etc because you're talking about potentially 80 or 120 pieces total. </div><div>
    </div><div>I'm all about registering for both individual pieces and sets when you're talking about pots/pans or knives.  You might end up returning 8 or 9 things to buy the set, and those $2000 pots/pans really are unreasonable to hope for.  I just disagree with china (assuming the couple wants all pieces that come in a set), because the sets themselves aren't an unreasonable price point for many people, and there are potentially so many more items to return.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I also think that if a couple registers for the sets and a particular guest wants to buy a single dinner plate, he or she is intelligent enough to look up the pattern name and do it independently.  But by registering for either sets only or individual pieces only, the bride minimizes the number of returns she may have to make - and since the sets ultimately cost less, that's what I would choose.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We registered for individual pieces because we picked the dinner plate from one pattern, and the salad, bread and butter, tea cup and saucer from another pattern. We didn't end up getting any china for our wedding, and I think the individual pieces was probably a big part of that. Had I to do it again, I would register for the sets of the one pattern and just get the extra dinner plates instead.
  • I haven't read the entire thread, but I do have some thoughts.  Don't register for just pieces, the place settings are a much better deal.  My family uses our china a few times a year.  In addition to that, my mom displays her teacups and place settings in her break front when they aren't in use.  Just my two cents.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards