Registry and Gift Forum

Honeymoon Registry???

We plan on registering for a few items (he already owns his home so he pretty much has everything) so we can have a registry for the shower.  But instead of gifts for the wedding, we'd prefer money (even though people think it's tacky to ask for money).  So I've been looking at getting a honeymoon registry.  Has anyone used one before and can give pros/cons on using it rather than getting cash?  Do you have a site you used/know someone has used and liked?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Honeymoon Registry???

• People don't just *think* it's tacky to ask for money. It IS tacky to ask for money. Read the sticky at the top of the group page about honeymoon registries.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca8d8adb-8f17-4194-9b7c-e76dd36a8d70Post:a93e50b5-2edf-4968-a98d-cdb704536746">Honeymoon Registry???</a>:
    [QUOTE]We plan on registering for a few items (he already owns his home so he pretty much has everything) so we can have a registry for the shower.  But instead of gifts for the wedding, we'd prefer money (even though people think it's tacky to ask for money).  So I've been looking at getting a honeymoon registry.  Has anyone used one before and can give pros/cons on using it rather than getting cash?  Do you have a site you used/know someone has used and liked?
    Posted by aimes8609[/QUOTE]

People are not idiots.  They know that cash is always welcome as a wedding gift and will take the hint when they see a small registry.  We still had items left on our small registry.  HRs are nothing more than cash registries in disguise.  They are deceitful and people will purchase items thinking that they are actually buying you something.  They have no idea that they are giving a company their money which in turn will take a cut and give you a check for the rest.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Just don't do it.
  • Don't do it!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • HM registires are not what they're cracked up to be. I thought it was kind of cool at first, too, until I found out how they really are. Most, if not all, HM registry websites charge a fee. So they take a cut of whatever gift you're given. If someone gives 100, you might see 93 of it. Had that guest just written a check for 100, you'd get all of it.

Also many guests assume when they buy you a romantic dinner or snorkeling trip that's what you're getting. Not so. The website just cuts you a check minus their fee and you get the cash. You could use that cash on whatever you wanted, not necessarily the intended gift. Your guest would be better off just giving you the money without the middle man who takes a cut for himself.

People aren't stupid. They know B & g's appreciate cash and even though we had two fairly large registries, we still got a lot of checks at our wedding.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Step away from the Honeymoon Registry!  :)  Registering for/asking for money is asking for money no matter what it's disguised as.  See the above post.
  • Don't do the HM registry. I'd suggest a small registry, and that's it. People will get the hint. Nothing is more off-putting than someone blatantly asking for cash.
    Praying for a miracle!
  • You should plan a honeymoon that you can pay for in cash. Same as your wedding. You shouldn't take out a loan or charge anything for either of these things. If you can't afford it start saving and postpone till you can afford it.

Now I tend to disagree with most of the people on this forum. I think they are fine as long as they are done right. Use a company that does not charge money and make sure that if you get 0 gifts you can still afford your honeymoon and you would be fine. Make sure you have a traditional registry and if you don't need much keep it small. People may give you cash or they may buy off the gift registry or they might buy something completely random. If you ask around and some of your family and friends think it is a great idea then go for it.

• Not only are HRs rude but some of the sites are scams. They'll take the money and you'll never see a dime.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So... you don't care that you're going to be tacky and your guests are going to be offended at you asking for money?  You're special.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca8d8adb-8f17-4194-9b7c-e76dd36a8d70Post:a93e50b5-2edf-4968-a98d-cdb704536746">Honeymoon Registry???</a>:
    [QUOTE]We plan on registering for a few items (he already owns his home so he pretty much has everything) so we can have a registry for the shower.  But instead of gifts for the wedding, we'd prefer money (even though people think it's tacky to ask for money).  So I've been looking at getting a honeymoon registry.  Has anyone used one before and can give pros/cons on using it rather than getting cash?  Do you have a site you used/know someone has used and liked?

<div>Just don't register/take your registry down completely after your shower. Tell your moms, your maids, whoever guests might ask that you're saving up for your life together.</div><div>
    </div><div>People who were going to get you gifts will <em>anyway</em>. All you do with a honeymoon registry is cost yourself a lot of money in lost fees against those who were going to give you the full amount in checks.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca8d8adb-8f17-4194-9b7c-e76dd36a8d70Post:e5dabd27-9ffc-4b85-ae6b-752b4003f4a9">Re: Honeymoon Registry???</a>:
    [QUOTE]So... you don't care that you're going to be tacky and your guests are going to be offended at you asking for money?  You're special.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

I didn't ask for your rude response.  Maybe you should learn to not say anything if you're going to give a rude, bitchy response.  Learn some freaking manners.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca8d8adb-8f17-4194-9b7c-e76dd36a8d70Post:8f3fc544-c0d3-47bc-aa7a-62b262777904">Re: Honeymoon Registry???</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry??? : I didn't ask for your rude response.  Maybe you should learn to not say anything if you're going to give a rude, bitchy response.<strong>  Learn some freaking manners.
    </strong>Posted by aimes8609[/QUOTE]

Oh this is rich coming from the woman who wants to have a cash registry.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca8d8adb-8f17-4194-9b7c-e76dd36a8d70Post:b7a7f630-a882-4227-aaf0-59121897b908">Re: Honeymoon Registry???</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry??? : Oh this is rich coming from the woman who wants to have a cash registry.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

First and foremost, I didn't say I wanted one.  I was asking advice regarding the options.  Maybe you should get your eyes checked.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca8d8adb-8f17-4194-9b7c-e76dd36a8d70Post:ca4e5f26-cb6c-43ea-9dc9-ff8c09ae7883">Re: Honeymoon Registry???</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry??? : First and foremost, I didn't say I wanted one.  I was asking advice regarding the options.  Maybe you should get your eyes checked.

Your OP:
    <em>We plan on registering for a few items (he already owns his home so he pretty much has everything) so we can have a registry for the shower.  <strong>But instead of gifts for the wedding,</strong> <strong>we'd prefer money (even though people think it's tacky to ask for money).  So I've been looking at getting a honeymoon registry.  Has anyone used one before and can give pros/cons on using it rather than getting cash? </strong> Do you have a site you used/know someone has used and liked?

</em>You need to calm the hell down and accept that what you are asking us to help you do is rude.  It is rude to ask for money.  It is rude and deceitful to use a HR.  Nothing that Joy said to you even approaches this.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca8d8adb-8f17-4194-9b7c-e76dd36a8d70Post:8f3fc544-c0d3-47bc-aa7a-62b262777904">Re: Honeymoon Registry???</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry??? : I didn't ask for your rude response.  Maybe you should learn to not say anything if you're going to give a rude, bitchy response.  Learn some freaking manners.

You want to do something even though you know it's going to offend others.  Who needs to learn manners?
  • Wow, this is unbelievable to me.  Maturity has escaped a few on this feed apparently...as well as manners.  I'm pretty sure no one would be so rude to her face.  I'm considering a HM registry because I'm not having a traditional wedding (no guests) with no traditional reception, just possibly a couple of small parties where we live, and whenever we go back home.  We don't live near any of our immediate family and only a couple close friends, and shipping costs are very expensive these days.  I don't expect anyone to give us money or gifts, and I don't think you should.  PERIOD!!  Especially during these times!  So to call someone rude amongst other names for thinking of a different way for people who want to give her a gift is rude in itself!  It is her wedding, her decision.  Just as your weddings were yours and were done your way.  HM registeries are actually new trends and are growing in popularity these days.  If you think it's tacky, that's your opinion.  Don't judge how the guests at her wedding would feel about this.  If they don't like it, they will let her know.  She did ask for pros and cons, but not to be called names and treated so horrbily!  Please, regain your manners and dignity.  A true lady would never be so brash and rude in any form.

Ames8609, do what you want to do.  It's your wedding.  None of them are guests, and don't stoop to their level.  Do what's right for you and your fiance.  The only thing I would recommend as I'm looking into it too is http://www.myregistry.com/.  Here, if you choose to have a small actual registery, you can, and you can also set up a HM fund.  It's pretty awesome because if you're like me, you like things from all different types of stores and even specialty online stores like etsy.  This allows you to set up a registry to sink all these things together and is a one stop place for guests to go to and buy things how they'd like to.  I think I'm going to do it.  Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca8d8adb-8f17-4194-9b7c-e76dd36a8d70Post:3001ca0d-6501-4b91-b1c8-2d1a9a6e23f9">Re: Honeymoon Registry???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, this is unbelievable to me.  Maturity has escaped a few on this feed apparently...as well as manners.  I'm pretty sure no one would be so rude to her face.  I'm considering a HM registry because I'm not having a traditional wedding (no guests) with no traditional reception, just possibly a couple of small parties where we live, and whenever we go back home.  We don't live near any of our immediate family and only a couple close friends, and shipping costs are very expensive these days.  I don't expect anyone to give us money or gifts, and I don't think you should.  PERIOD!!  Especially during these times!  So to call someone rude amongst other names for thinking of a different way for people who want to give her a gift is rude in itself!  It is her wedding, her decision.  Just as your weddings were yours and were done your way.  HM registeries are actually new trends and are growing in popularity these days.  If you think it's tacky, that's your opinion.  Don't judge how the guests at her wedding would feel about this.  If they don't like it, they will let her know.  She did ask for pros and cons, but not to be called names and treated so horrbily!  Please, regain your manners and dignity.  A true lady would never be so brash and rude in any form. Ames8609, do what you want to do.  It's your wedding.  None of them are guests, and don't stoop to their level.  Do what's right for you and your fiance.  The only thing I would recommend as I'm looking into it too is  <a href="http://www.myregistry.com/." rel="nofollow">http://www.myregistry.com/.</a>  Here, if you choose to have a small actual registery, you can, and you can also set up a HM fund.  It's pretty awesome because if you're like me, you like things from all different types of stores and even specialty online stores like etsy.  This allows you to set up a registry to sink all these things together and is a one stop place for guests to go to and buy things how they'd like to.  I think I'm going to do it.  Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Posted by Jpgirl79[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Well, all I did was point out that she'll have more usable money if she doesn't ask her guests to go through registeries that eat up large percentages of their gift.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'd rather have $100 than $93 if someone is kind enough to want to gift me $100. This is the biggest problem with honeymoon registries <em>beyond </em>the fact that many people find them rude.</div><div>
    </div>
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca8d8adb-8f17-4194-9b7c-e76dd36a8d70Post:3001ca0d-6501-4b91-b1c8-2d1a9a6e23f9">Re: Honeymoon Registry???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, this is unbelievable to me.  Maturity has escaped a few on this feed apparently...as well as manners.  <strong>I'm pretty sure no one would be so rude to her face.</strong>  I'm considering a HM registry because I'm not having a traditional wedding (no guests) with no traditional reception, just possibly a couple of small parties where we live, and whenever we go back home.  We don't live near any of our immediate family and only a couple close friends, and shipping costs are very expensive these days.  I don't expect anyone to give us money or gifts, and I don't think you should.  PERIOD!!  Especially during these times!  So to call someone rude amongst other names for thinking of a different way for people who want to give her a gift is rude in itself!  It is her wedding, her decision.  Just as your weddings were yours and were done your way.  HM registeries are actually new trends and are growing in popularity these days.  If you think it's tacky, that's your opinion.  Don't judge how the guests at her wedding would feel about this.  <strong>If they don't like it, they will let her know. </strong> She did ask for pros and cons, but not to be called names and treated so horrbily!  Please, regain your manners and dignity.  A true lady would never be so brash and rude in any form. Ames8609, do what you want to do.  It's your wedding.  None of them are guests, and don't stoop to their level.  Do what's right for you and your fiance.  The only thing I would recommend as I'm looking into it too is  <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.myregistry.com/.">http://www.myregistry.com/.</a>  Here, if you choose to have a small actual registery, you can, and you can also set up a HM fund.  It's pretty awesome because if you're like me, you like things from all different types of stores and even specialty online stores like etsy.  This allows you to set up a registry to sink all these things together and is a one stop place for guests to go to and buy things how they'd like to.  I think I'm going to do it.  Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Posted by Jpgirl79[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>The statements that I bolded directly contradict one another.  No one would tell her she's rude to ask for cash to her face, but guests would tell her if they don't like it?  I don't think her friends will say it to her face, but they will judge her.</div><div>
    </div><div>In your situation, Jpgirl, you need to tread very carefully with a registry if you are not inviting anyone to your wedding.  I think it's fine to make a small registry in case people look for it or ask, but I would side eye a large registry if you got married in a private ceremony.  And why you would ask people for cash directly, I don't know.  FYI, you can use Amazon universal registry for collecting items from other websites if that's what you're looking for.

</div>
  • What everyone said. Also, if etiquette won't sway you, keep this in mind--a honeymoon registry is not ACTUALLY going to help you pay for a honeymoon. How could it? Think about it--if you're going on your honeymoon the day after your wedding, yet your guests give you their gifts the day of the wedding, are you supposed to plan your honeymoon the night of the wedding? Most likely, you would have all of your plans in place months before receiving your wedding gifts. I don't understand how people hit up their guests for contributions to things like "airfare" and "lodging" when these things are already booked, aka already PAID FOR.

Therefore, you must plan only the honeymoon that you can afford regardless of what your guests will give you as a gift. Doing otherwise makes no sense--what if you don't get enough money to "cover" your hotel? Does that mean you change to a cheaper place?

If you think about it, logistically it makes no sense. Honeymoon registries actually slow down the process of receiving gifts from your guests. H and I were shocked at how generous our guests were. We went to the bank the day after the wedding, on our way to our honeymoon, and deposited the checks we received at the wedding. No middleman, no online transfers, no asking guests for money. Easy peasy. Then we used a portion of the money we'd received to "upgrade" our honeymoon experience by ordering room service, buying a bottle of nice champagne, eating at a fancy restaurant, and buying a beautiful piece of artwork as a souvenir. We did all of this with money that our guests gave willingly on their own, without a not-so-subtle "hint" like a HR.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Do what you want at the end of the day it is your day.  It appalls me that we have such experts here on this blog who judge.  Who’s to say that your guests will take it as rude to simply ask for money with the HMR, I rather one be up front with me.  Plus it’s a new day and time and things are much different.  I am not having a registry and although no one is obligated to giving a gift many guests will bring them.  I have communicated to many of my loved ones that any token of love would be appreciated.  And from what I hear most of the comments are that we are making it fairly easy for them. 
  • “It stops being "your day" the moment you choose to involve others in it, which you do by selecting a wedding party and inviting guests. I am a bit confused here as the wedding day has always been all about the bride and groom?  What made up tradition book did that come from???  And did not the wedding party and guests CHOOSE to be apart of this event? They don’t have to attend or be in the wedding, if invited or asked to be…. That being said it is a choice for one to give a gift and it is a choice on what the gift may be.  If the couple chooses to ask for money or have a HMR it is there again their choice and whether it is taken heed to will there again be a choice.   “Etiquette does not go out of style, and it's rude to ask other people to give you some of their money.  Would you do that on a regular day? The fact that this is a wedding does not change the rudeness.”   Yes that is correct Etiquette never goes out of style but the interpretation changes constantly and those OLD traditions that of asking for this or that being rude is based upon ones opinion.  The fact is when it comes to gift giving it is not an obligation by any means BUT if a gift is going to be given it will cost money.  And if the couple chooses to spell out what they want whether it be money, money towards a honeymoon it is no different then having any other type of registry.  Either way it’s a wish list whether sugar coated or not.  Again it is a new day and time  - get with the program!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca8d8adb-8f17-4194-9b7c-e76dd36a8d70Post:06a734bc-841f-4458-b557-abbf258249dd">Re: Honeymoon Registry???</a>:
    [QUOTE]“It stops being "your day" the moment you choose to involve others in it, which you do by selecting a wedding party and inviting guests. ”   I am a bit confused here as the wedding day has always been all about the bride and groom?   What made up tradition book did that come from???   And did not the wedding party and guests CHOOSE to be apart of this event? They don’t have to attend or be in the wedding, if invited or asked to be…. That being said it is a choice for one to give a gift and it is a choice on what the gift may be.   If the couple chooses to ask for money or have a HMR it is there again their choice and whether it is taken heed to will there again be a choice.     “Etiquette does not go out of style, and it's rude to ask other people to give you some of their money.  Would you do that on a regular day? The fact that this is a wedding does not change the rudeness.”     Yes that is correct Etiquette never goes out of style but the interpretation changes constantly and those OLD traditions that of asking for this or that being rude is based upon ones opinion.   The fact is when it comes to gift giving it is not an obligation by any means BUT if a gift is going to be given it will cost money.   And if the couple chooses to spell out what they want whether it be money, money towards a honeymoon it is no different then having any other type of registry.   Either way it’s a wish list whether sugar coated or not.   Again it is a new day and time   - get with the program!!!
    Posted by starbritte1[/QUOTE]
    You are incorrect.  Stop giving out terrible advice.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca8d8adb-8f17-4194-9b7c-e76dd36a8d70Post:06a734bc-841f-4458-b557-abbf258249dd">Re: Honeymoon Registry???</a>:
    [QUOTE]“It stops being "your day" the moment you choose to involve others in it, which you do by selecting a wedding party and inviting guests. ”   I am a bit confused here as the wedding day has always been all about the bride and groom?   What made up tradition book did that come from???   And did not the wedding party and guests CHOOSE to be apart of this event? They don’t have to attend or be in the wedding, if invited or asked to be…. That being said it is a choice for one to give a gift and it is a choice on what the gift may be.   If the couple chooses to ask for money or have a HMR it is there again their choice and whether it is taken heed to will there again be a choice.     “Etiquette does not go out of style, and it's rude to ask other people to give you some of their money.  Would you do that on a regular day? The fact that this is a wedding does not change the rudeness.”     Yes that is correct Etiquette never goes out of style but the interpretation changes constantly and those OLD traditions that of asking for this or that being rude is based upon ones opinion.   The fact is when it comes to gift giving it is not an obligation by any means BUT if a gift is going to be given it will cost money.   And if the couple chooses to spell out what they want whether it be money, money towards a honeymoon it is no different then having any other type of registry.   Either way it’s a wish list whether sugar coated or not.   Again it is a new day and time   - get with the program!!!

Whatever gets you through the night.

The wedding ceremony is all about the B&G.  The reception is for the guests.  That is how it has always been.  The B&G are receiving their guests and thanking them for attending the ceremony.

And to quote Dear Abby, "Getting married does not magically turn your friends into ATMs."  Asking for money is rude no matter what.  being a native Cincinnatian, it saddens me that your parents did not drill that into your head from the time you were a child.
  • Do we need to be reeducated on what a blog is?  This is a blog based upon advice and opinions so like I mentioned earlier it is a choice as to what one may ask for with a gift.  It is a choice for the guests and the wedding party and if they feel it to be rude then more than likely they will not adhere to the couples wishes.  BUT just maybe the guests etc. might prefer that the couple be up front about their registry.  If it’s money or money toward a honeymoon there again it is their choice.   And as for you miss GoodLuckBear14 it saddens me that you are so stuck on dear Mrs. Abby as that is so so outdated.  Maybe your parents should have taught you to not be so square.  I think someone needs to learn her manners as well.
  • starbritte1starbritte1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    Ouch, someone needs a life ...you must be one unhappy person.  Maybe you should go on a vacation oh lets see what does the book say about that?  You probably have to check for the proper protocol to vacation.  I feel so sorry for you honey, don't be so bitter.  You are acting like a child.  Want a cookie...missie!!!Cry 
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca8d8adb-8f17-4194-9b7c-e76dd36a8d70Post:ce113b19-136a-4d28-bcf6-c235ba802cce">Re: Honeymoon Registry???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do we need to be reeducated on what a blog is?   This is a blog based upon advice and opinions so like I mentioned earlier it is a choice as to what one may ask for with a gift.   It is a choice for the guests and the wedding party and if they feel it to be rude then more than likely they will not adhere to the couples wishes.   BUT just maybe the guests etc. might prefer that the couple be up front about their registry.   If it’s money or money toward a honeymoon there again it is their choice.     And as for you miss GoodLuckBear14 it saddens me that you are so stuck on dear Mrs. Abby as that is so so outdated.   Maybe your parents should have taught you to not be so square .   I think someone needs to learn her manners as well.

How old are you?  Seriously, because good manners do not go out of style.  I remember the Dear Abby quote from years ago because it is true.  Since your parents clearly did not do their job though, I would suggest that you read an etiquette book by Amy Vanderbilt or Miss Manners or read Dear Prudence on Slate. 

As for being "square" (now there is an outdated term for you), yes, it has hurt me so very much.  I made it out of the west side, went to college and law school (paying for it by myself) - walking the straight and narrow the whole time because it was either graduate or work minimum wage my entire life.  It also killed me by helping me get hired into firms and invited to social events hosted by judges and partners.

Grow the hell up.
  • edited October 2012
    What's with people on this site and the fervent way you attack people that are asking about HM registries?  Is there some club that I don't know about?  

Why do you say it's like asking for cash?  We are going to use every gift we've received on our HM registry.  We didn't loose any contributions.  Our guests paid the company service fee (7%) on top of our gifts.  Our guests have not expressed any issue with this.  We have $180 to spend on our couples massage and my uncle was charged $192.  

We aren't being deceitful or tacky - we are receiving gifts in celebration of our wedding.  Gifts that will be enjoyed and remembered for the rest of our lives!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca8d8adb-8f17-4194-9b7c-e76dd36a8d70Post:15af6c99-3612-44c7-bee2-6fd687fb58ab">Re: Honeymoon Registry???</a>:
    [QUOTE]What's with people on this site and the fervent way you attack people that are asking about HM registries?  Is there some club that I don't know about?   Why do you say it's like asking for cash?  We are going to use every gift we've received on our HM registry.  We didn't loose any contributions.  Our guests paid the company service fee (7%) on top of our gifts.  Our guests have not expressed any issue with this.  We have $180 to spend on our couples massage and my uncle was charged $192.   We aren't being deceitful or tacky - we are receiving gifts in celebration of our wedding.  Gifts that will be enjoyed and remembered for the rest of our lives!
    Posted by brookethebride1[/QUOTE]

Did you get a check in place of all of these gifts?  If yes, then it is a cash registry.  There is no requirement that you use it for what you said you would.  Most guests do not understand how this works and honestly believe that they are buying you an experience, which they are not.  As for your guests paying extra for the service fee, that is even worse.  And nobody who understands how these things work are going to tell you to your face that they are rude.  My brother and SIL used one and still think it was a great idea - they didn't hear all the grumbling once guests learned how it worked.
  • The gift funds are sent directly to Sandals.  We use them for the activites that the guest pay for by charging them to our room credit.  

In one of the respondent analogies, we recieve a horseback trip - we take a horse back trip.  Even if we go snorkeling instead, we are using the gift funds for our honeymoon.  To compare, what about getting two or three toasters?  What are you going to do with them?  Rotate them on the counter depending on who is visiting or take one back?  Either way you aren't using the gift as it was orginally intended.  

Also, our guests are charged 7% fee up front - we nor Sandals hides this information.  Most of us our use to paying service/handling fees or taxes at check out.  This is not decietful nor a rip-off.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards