Registry and Gift Forum

Shipped to work?

I would like to know if it would be okay to put my work address as the ship address for my wedding registries. I am a very busy bride with work, night classes, and planning and would rather not run to mothers house or the in-laws house all the time to pick things up. How many gifts really get mailed? Would it be too many for me to receive at work or do they normally trickle in. My employer does not mind at all me having things shipped to work but I would like to avoid it if there are going to be a ton of boxes stacked in my office… (Not that I am expecting massive amounts of gifts but with my luck they would all come on the same day ;) )
Anniversary

Re: Shipped to work?

• The number of gifts that are shipped depends on the number of OOT guests you have. Most OOT gifts will ship so they don't have to transport them. However, depends on the stores shipping fees, some guests might ship them to make things easier on you and your FI the day of the wedding. It's not bad to have them shipped to work, but expect gifts to show up there if you put the address down.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would probably ship it to a one of the parents instead.  Just come up with an agreement that you will come by once a week or so to pick them up. 

I had enough OOT guests that we got TONS of items in the mail and I'm pretty sure my work would have been irked. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We have gotten a lot of gifts in the mail (we have a lot of out of town guests).  A lot of the boxes have been large and awkward, too.  Keep in mind that if you get fragile stuff in the mail, it might be packaged in an insanely huge box to have lots of protection, and then you'd have to figure out what to do with a giant box (any narrow doorways?) and all the packing peanuts, paper, etc.  
  • noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    I wouldn't have them shipped to work for *many* reasons.  Even if your work is okay with it occasionally, I  doubt they'd be thrilled to have a LOT of boxes coming in over a short time.  Especially if they are big (which housewares tend to be), whoever has to delivery it to your office is going to be pissed.  And your coworkers may gossip about it (I personally think it is a little inappropriate).  Also, is it totally safe?  Those gifts are expensive and if they are delivered at work but don't show up in your office, what are you going to do?  Accuse people at your work of stealing them? 

I feel like you should keep your personal life separate from your work life.  Just have them delivered to one of your parents house.  You aren't supposed to use them before the wedding anyway, so leave them there and pick them all up at once closer to the wedding.
  • It's pretty common in my circle to have packages shipped to work, but even so, I wouldn't do that for registry gifts.  PPs made a lot of good points about the size/awkwardness and value of the gifts being sent, and your guests may raise an eyebrow when they see the address and not want to send them there, if it's obviously a work address.

We had 100 guests, 75% OOT, and got maybe ten gifts in the mail - most people gave us money for the wedding, and shower gifts were given in person.  I think it's really better to have gifts sent to your parents or somewhere else secure.  Ask them ahead of time, and make sure it's ok to leave them there for a while.   You could pick them up periodically or all in one batch; if they will be there longer than a week I would probably ask someone to open each gift to make sure it's not broken and pass along the info to you so you can send a thank-you note.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards