Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Pressure to register-- but we don't need anything!

The ladies in my church are putting on a bridal shower for me. I am so flattered, as I didn't think I'd be able to have one! I'm really excited about being able to spend the day with them.

Lately, though, they have been pressuring us about registering. We are downsizing, because we have each lived on our own for a long time, and have 2 of everything to try to cram into my apartment. We really don't need anything at all for our place, besides maybe some more trash bags to fill with thrift store donations. The only physical things I can think of that we'd like are a bigger home, another vehicle, new mini-blinds because my cat chewed ours to shreds, and I would like a small boat for fishing. Seriously, that's it. And we can't really register for any of that but the mini-blinds.

The only thing we really need is cash. We are paying for our wedding by ourselves and it doesn't look like we are even going to be able to afford a honeymoon, since being hit with about $5000 unexpected non-wedding expenses in the past 3 months. We have a week off work and might take a night or two trip out of town. 

And honestly, if we did receive cash, we would probably use it to pay down student loan debt, boost our savings account, and for the wedding itself, instead of for a honeymoon!

What we really could use is help paying for the wedding and buying another vehicle. To top it off, we live in a small town and the only places there are to register are Walmart and Bed Bath and Beyond (and I hate BBB, it is overpriced and completely useless to a couple with a fully furnished home). And either way we go, a bunch of BBB gift cards at the end of it all I don't even know what we'd do with, Walmart gift cards might subsidize cat food for awhile, but neither will help us pay our bills.

I find cash registries tacky, and our banner would be even tackier (only $xx,xxx left to go before the bride and groom are finally debt free!). We are not going this route.

I am just so happy that the ladies care enough about us to throw a shower, and looking forward to spending the day with them more than gifts. But they keep asking me where I am registered. I tell them "we are not registered anywhere, and don't expect gifts. Your presence is present enough for us!" and then they'll dig deeper and I will tell them that FH and I have been out on our own for many years and already have everything we need for our home.

And they say, "that's why you need to register, so people only get you what you want!"

And then we go home and try to think about what we want, and really can't come up with anything. I just want everyone to come and enjoy themselves and not worry about anything like that. I am just so blessed to have them love us enough to put on a bridal shower... I didn't think that anyone was going to do that for me, and it has brings tears to my eyes to even think about it. The kind of fellowship we've received during our engagement is more valuable than anything we could have registered for.

But what are we supposed to do about the registry?
Baby boy! EDD 3/31/2013

Re: Pressure to register-- but we don't need anything!

• Options
    The point of a shower is to "shower" you with gifts- which is why a registry is useful.

Since you do not want gifts, can you kindly suggest a tea or something instead? Where you could spend the day with them but avoid gifts.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_pressure-to-register-but-we-dont-need-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:cce1e1f4-0500-456c-bc05-9181f4d42b9cPost:e6866dff-361b-4c93-9cf6-edfb8d9fc7d7">Pressure to register-- but we don't need anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The ladies in my church are putting on a bridal shower for me. I am so flattered, as I didn't think I'd be able to have one! I'm really excited about being able to spend the day with them. Lately, though, they have been pressuring us about registering. We are downsizing, because we have each lived on our own for a long time, and have 2 of everything to try to cram into my apartment. We really don't need anything at all for our place, besides maybe some more trash bags to fill with thrift store donations. The only physical things I can think of that we'd like are a bigger home, another vehicle, new mini-blinds because my cat chewed ours to shreds, and I would like a small boat for fishing. Seriously, that's it. And we can't really register for any of that but the mini-blinds. The only thing we really need is cash. We are paying for our wedding by ourselves and it doesn't look like we are even going to be able to afford a honeymoon, since being hit with about $5000 unexpected non-wedding expenses in the past 3 months. We have a week off work and might take a night or two trip out of town.    And honestly, if we did receive cash, we would probably use it to pay down student loan debt, boost our savings account, and for the wedding itself, instead of for a honeymoon! What we really could use is help paying for the wedding and buying another vehicle. To top it off, we live in a small town and the only places there are to register are Walmart and Bed Bath and Beyond (and I hate BBB, it is overpriced and completely useless to a couple with a fully furnished home). And either way we go, a bunch of BBB gift cards at the end of it all I don't even know what we'd do with, Walmart gift cards might subsidize cat food for awhile, but neither will help us pay our bills. I find cash registries tacky, and our banner would be even tackier (only $xx,xxx left to go before the bride and groom are finally debt free!). We are not going this route. I am just so happy that the ladies care enough about us to throw a shower, and looking forward to spending the day with them more than gifts. But they keep asking me where I am registered. I tell them "we are not registered anywhere, and don't expect gifts. Your presence is present enough for us!" and then they'll dig deeper and I will tell them that FH and I have been out on our own for many years and already have everything we need for our home. And they say, "that's why you need to register, so people only get you what you want!" And then we go home and try to think about what we want, and really can't come up with anything. I just want everyone to come and enjoy themselves and not worry about anything like that. I am just so blessed to have them love us enough to put on a bridal shower... I didn't think that anyone was going to do that for me, and it has brings tears to my eyes to even think about it. The kind of fellowship we've received during our engagement is more valuable than anything we could have registered for. But what are we supposed to do about the registry?
    Posted by ChristineM130[/QUOTE]

First, you can always use upgrades.  Goodwill stores were well stocked after DH and I moved in together and we still managed a small registy of ugrades for our guests - most of whom took the hint and gave cash.

As for the ladies at your church, you should decline any shower if you are not going to have a registry that they can shop from.  If they insist on doing something, suggest a tea.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The idea of having tea sounds nice to me (even though I can't drink tea because of a medical condition Frown). I certainly don't want to decline the event, because I really would love to have a day with my friends, family, and church family altogether, just us women. I don't have a lot of girl friends and don't get to do a lot of girl things, and really looking forward to the day.

We might just make a really really small registry at Walmart, and maybe they will take the hint. I am also nervous about gifts because I think that the ladies putting on the shower might be inviting some people that aren't on our very very small guest list, which is only our very closest friends and family members... I've put out by word of mouth that our guest list is so small, but I am getting nervous...
    Baby boy! EDD 3/31/2013
  • Options
    I would ask them if you can help with the guestlist to make sure that no non-wedding guests are invited.  While a church shower can be the exception to that rule, it sounds like it's people from church throwing you a shower, not a church shower.  

You can ask that it be a recipe shower or something like that--everyone brings their favorite recipe.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_pressure-to-register-but-we-dont-need-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:cce1e1f4-0500-456c-bc05-9181f4d42b9cPost:0b9e443a-0e8b-42ee-b760-b6bc3068ca03">Re: Pressure to register-- but we don't need anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would ask them if you can help with the guestlist to make sure that no non-wedding guests are invited.  While a church shower can be the exception to that rule, it sounds like it's people from church throwing you a shower, not a church shower.   <strong>You can ask that it be a recipe shower or something like that--everyone brings their favorite recipe. </strong> 
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

<div>If you don't need any physical items, just do a little get together.  A tea or recipe shower are good alternatives. Also you should try do at least a small registry because there are some people who will always give boxed gifts, so you might as well get something you want.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_pressure-to-register-but-we-dont-need-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:cce1e1f4-0500-456c-bc05-9181f4d42b9cPost:e6866dff-361b-4c93-9cf6-edfb8d9fc7d7">Pressure to register-- but we don't need anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The ladies in my church are putting on a bridal shower for me. I am so flattered, as I didn't think I'd be able to have one! I'm really excited about being able to spend the day with them. Lately, though, they have been pressuring us about registering. We are downsizing, because we have each lived on our own for a long time, and have 2 of everything to try to cram into my apartment. We really don't need anything at all for our place, besides maybe some more trash bags to fill with thrift store donations. The only physical things I can think of that we'd like are a bigger home, another vehicle, new mini-blinds because my cat chewed ours to shreds, and I would like a small boat for fishing. Seriously, that's it. And we can't really register for any of that but the mini-blinds. The only thing we really need is cash. We are paying for our wedding by ourselves and it doesn't look like we are even going to be able to afford a honeymoon, since being hit with about $5000 unexpected non-wedding expenses in the past 3 months. We have a week off work and might take a night or two trip out of town.    And honestly, if we did receive cash, we would probably use it to pay down student loan debt, boost our savings account, and for the wedding itself, instead of for a honeymoon! What we really could use is help paying for the wedding and buying another vehicle. To top it off, we live in a small town and the only places there are to register are Walmart and Bed Bath and Beyond (and I hate BBB, it is overpriced and completely useless to a couple with a fully furnished home). And either way we go, a bunch of BBB gift cards at the end of it all I don't even know what we'd do with, Walmart gift cards might subsidize cat food for awhile, but neither will help us pay our bills. I find cash registries tacky, and our banner would be even tackier (only $xx,xxx left to go before the bride and groom are finally debt free!). We are not going this route. I am just so happy that the ladies care enough about us to throw a shower, and looking forward to spending the day with them more than gifts. But they keep asking me where I am registered. I tell them "we are not registered anywhere, and don't expect gifts. Your presence is present enough for us!" and then they'll dig deeper and I will tell them that FH and I have been out on our own for many years and already have everything we need for our home. And they say, "that's why you need to register, so people only get you what you want!" And then we go home and try to think about what we want, and really can't come up with anything. I just want everyone to come and enjoy themselves and not worry about anything like that. I am just so blessed to have them love us enough to put on a bridal shower... I didn't think that anyone was going to do that for me, and it has brings tears to my eyes to even think about it. The kind of fellowship we've received during our engagement is more valuable than anything we could have registered for. But what are we supposed to do about the registry?
    Posted by ChristineM130[/QUOTE]

Register anyways. I don't need blankets but gonna register anyways.

• Options
    Can't you use better towels, a new sheet set, an upgraded coffee pot, new baking pans.  You get the point.  If you're not going to do a registry, just have a small get together.  If you don't like tea, have coffee.  Or just dessert.  Call it an afternoon social.  Whatever. 

But don't have a tiny registry hoping people get the idea and give you money.  I would be completely pissed if I went to someone's registry and saw 5 items and they were already bought. I still probably wouldn't give money.  You would then probably get some neutral gift that you probably wouldn't need/use/like.  But I would think, "hey, that's her fault for not registering for more items". A shower is meant to shower with gifts. 
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_pressure-to-register-but-we-dont-need-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:cce1e1f4-0500-456c-bc05-9181f4d42b9cPost:83dadcbd-d848-46e7-bf50-0f91861cc983">Re: Pressure to register-- but we don't need anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can't you use better towels, a new sheet set, an upgraded coffee pot, new baking pans.  You get the point.  If you're not going to do a registry, just have a small get together.  If you don't like tea, have coffee.  Or just dessert.  Call it an afternoon social.  Whatever.  But don't have a tiny registry hoping people get the idea and give you money.  I would be completely pissed if I went to someone's registry and saw 5 items and they were already bought. I still probably wouldn't give money.  You would then probably get some neutral gift that you probably wouldn't need/use/like.  But I would think, "hey, that's her fault for not registering for more items". A shower is meant to shower with gifts. 
    Posted by MrsMeganL2012[/QUOTE]

There is a difference between tiny and small so let's not take this to a ridiculous extreme here.  If you have ten to twenty wedding guests, five registry items (e.g. pots, pans, sheets, towels, vacuum) might be adequate.  Between our wedding and a second reception on the west coast, we had a registry of somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty items for about 130 guests.  They all knew DH and I had been on our own for more than a decade before getting engaged and moving in together.  A small registry is the accepted way to tell guests that you are well set for your house but any cash gift would be appreciated. 

Also, if you are doing a small registry, you decline all offers for showers.  Period.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_pressure-to-register-but-we-dont-need-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:cce1e1f4-0500-456c-bc05-9181f4d42b9cPost:7d9451b1-5979-4418-9a28-b5a8322c1dfc">Re: Pressure to register-- but we don't need anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pressure to register-- but we don't need anything! : There is a difference between tiny and small so let's not take this to a ridiculous extreme here.  If you have ten to twenty wedding guests, five registry items (e.g. pots, pans, sheets, towels, vacuum) might be adequate.  <strong>Between our wedding and a second reception on the west coast</strong>, we had a registry of somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty items for about 130 guests. <strong> They all knew DH and I had been on our own for more than a decade before getting engaged and moving in together.</strong>  A small registry is the accepted way to tell guests that you are well set for your house but any cash gift would be appreciated.  Also, if you are doing a small registry, you decline all offers for showers.  Period.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

I wasn't referring to registering for wedding/reception.  In the NY area, it's standard to give money.  I was referring to a shower.  I've never been to a shower where there weren't at least enough items to cover the number of guests.

I've been on my own for nearly 10 years as well.  Still, I could think of plenty of things I would love to replace/upgrade.  If you have everything you could possibly need or want, then I'm jealous!
  • Options
    Megan - cash wedding gifts are customary here also yet people still register.  You are missing OP's point that they could really use cash more than anything.  The advice that she got was to make a small registry to hint at this to her wedding guests and to decline all showers.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_pressure-to-register-but-we-dont-need-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:cce1e1f4-0500-456c-bc05-9181f4d42b9cPost:daf93201-4fac-4ce7-8463-064e2bcbb7ea">Re: Pressure to register-- but we don't need anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Megan - cash wedding gifts are customary here also yet people still register.  You are missing OP's point that they could really use cash more than anything.  The advice that she got was to make a small registry to hint at this to her wedding guests and to decline all showers.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

People still register because many have showers!  OP is not talking about the wedding reception.  You keep mentioning wedding guests/wedding reception.   I don't think that's the problem.  It's the church ladies throwing her the shower that keep asking where she's registered.  If she's happy with just their presence, as she says, then she should tell them she would prefer it to be a tea/luncheon/bbq as an earlier poster recommended.  MOST people think shower=registry.  Don't expect them to get that cash is what's really wanted.  They will just badger until you have a registry or buy you something you definitely can't use.  Just my opinion....and now I'm moving on.  :)
  • Options
    I would register for upgraded items and then donate the ones you already have once you get the newer ones as gifts. How nice of them to not only throw you a shower but to WANT to buy you a gift. 

I was not going to register either but was convinced by my BM's that I should as it is sort of expected to register for the shower. I have been to many bridal showers where there were no registries and they received some nice gifts but 2 of those couples were just starting out so needed everything. FI and I have a house, 3 kids and will have been together 14 years when the wedding rolls around and I could still use a few items. So I am taking the advice of my bm's and registering at 2 stores for the shower. I figure about 20 or so items for the 30+ shower guests. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards