Registry and Gift Forum

do you need to register?

my fiance and i have been living together for a couple years now and have everything we need. instead of making a registery for things we dont need/want we would rather have money as a gift.how do we go about letting our guests know that we aren't having a registery but prefer money?

Re: do you need to register?

• I was invited to a shower (along with a wedding) where all they had a was a cash registry and made it clear all they wanted was cash; it was so rude!! How do you have a shower were all the bride does is open cards (with either cash or checks inside). At one point they were showing how much each person gave!!!! I was a student (still in college) and so I only gave $40 for each ($40 for shower and $40 for wedding). I'm sure many people thought that was super cheap; but I thought that was pretty nice for being a college student without a job. The bride told me and some other people that its a cultural thing that all her family only gives cash for weddings (she is first generation American) and that most people give a good amount because you only get married once.
    I much prefer buying gifts because then I can buy something that I think would be useful and meaningful (even off of a registry -- I try to find something in my price range that I would use). I love the idea that when I get my wedding gifts I will be able to think about the person who gave it every time I use it even though I actually picked it out.
    I also already live with my fiance but we are getting mostly kitchen stuff that we both had not already acquired. Since we moved in together (almost 2 years ago), I have been slowely upgrading our stuff; since we got engaged I stopped buying anything new and have been putting it on a registry. Everyone needs some new home goods or do something non-traditional; my sister registered at homedepot for home improvement items. Unless, you really only want money for stuff that people can't physically buy you (saving for a down payment for a house or something) then I would say go pick out stuff and let people know what you want. I think most will appreciate it even if its not traditional wedding stuff.
    Lastly, if you really don't need anything; I would just respectfully say gift are not necessary and leave it at that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_need-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d82d282e-edd7-43ba-a958-9a105eacefa3Post:dbfda983-30f4-4c4d-84a5-38f4f5641dda">do you need to register?</a>:
    [QUOTE]my fiance and i have been living together for a couple years now and have everything we need. instead of making a registery for things we dont need/want we would rather have money as a gift.how do we go about letting our guests know that we aren't having a registery but prefer money?
    Posted by nessa92288[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Upgrade.  Register for better versions of stuff you already have.  Or stuff you would love but would never buy yourself.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards