Registry and Gift Forum
Options

OurWishingWell.com

What are your thoughts on ourwishingwell.com? It is a website where you are able to list multiple things and people can contribute to a gift instead of buying a more expensive gift. I like the idea because most of the things I need are big ticket items like a dining room set which I would be able to list. The con is that there is up to a 5% transaction fee. FI and I will have lived together  for 2 years by our wedding and we had a housewarming where we got a lot of the little things. Is there a possible way to mention big ticket items on our website the people can think of contributing towards. TIA

Re: OurWishingWell.com

• Options
    I think it's a little tacky personally.  From the looks of it, you're not actually registering for the physical item, just the dollar amount you need to go out and buy the item on your own.  Isn't just easier to spread via word of mouth that you're saving up to buy dining room furniture or those other big ticket items?  People from your work (or your bridesmaids) may all chip in to get you one of those big ticket items if it's on your actual store registry.  You can always register for upgrades (new towels, sheets, pots and pans, etc.).
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    This is just a registry for cash in disguise. 
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_ourwishingwellcom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:eb9b6aa3-4360-4ec0-ba7d-49ba9a679d78Post:6e4f34ae-fba1-487f-841e-8c72b6118d3b">Re: OurWishingWell.com</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's a little tacky personally.  From the looks of it, you're not actually registering for the physical item, just the dollar amount you need to go out and buy the item on your own.  Isn't just easier to spread via word of mouth that you're saving up to buy dining room furniture or those other big ticket items?  People from your work (or your bridesmaids) may all chip in to get you one of those big ticket items if it's on your actual store registry.  You can always register for upgrades (new towels, sheets, pots and pans, etc.).
    Posted by strlzfan11[/QUOTE]
    Agree, spread word of mouth that you are saving for some things. People will get the hint. Personally I am not a fan of registries where guests give cash and then registry charges fees.  It is also deceitful to your guests because they think they are buying a gift and in fact you are just getting a check for the amount. If I want to give a cash gift, I will give it directly the B&G, that way they get the entire cash amount.

A lot of guests will give cash gifts without beings asked, so just use that money for your big ticket items.  Asking for money from your guests is never appropriate no matter how you disguise it.
  • Options
    P2HP2H member
    First Comment
    I wouldn't do this.  As PP mentioned, it is tacky.  If you want mainly cash, I would just register for a few things and people should get the idea that you want cash.  And on the upside, you won't be giving 5% of your cash gifts away.
  • Options
    the only time i have seen people register for big ticket items (my sister registered for an LCD tv) is usually in order to use their completion discount after the wedding to get it.  I'm not sure about the furniture, because most furniture stores don't have actual registries, but if you think your family will go for this, then by all means, do it.  I would probably prefer to spread it word of mouth in order to get cash/gift cards though because then you don't have to give up the 5% transaction fees...
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards