Registry and Gift Forum

People asking where we're registered

I'm not sure how to approach this situation and I guess after reading a few of the forums I would like peoples opinions on how to approach it in the most tactful way (if there is one).
After our invitations were sent out we started getting emails and people asking where we were registered.
We registered for VERY few things at a store and also at a travel agency for our honeymoon. But if people are insistent on giving gifts I think that we are hoping that they donate money to our "new house fund". 
We already own 2 of everything, we have just merged our 2 fully furnished houses and now have a house and storage area full. We are hoping to buy our own home in the next 2 years so if guests were wanting to give gifts we were hoping to be able to put those gifts toward a new house.

How or what do I say to guests when they ask what we want and where we are registered?

Any suggestions about this?

I know some people feel this is tacky, but some people are insistent and want to get us something and something that we will use.

Re: People asking where we're registered

• And any suggestions for the shower in this situation? 
  • If you don't want physical gifts you should not have a shower, as that is the whole point of the shower.

When people ask where you are registered, say "we have a small registry at X store, and we are also saving for a new home."  I would just leave off the honeymoon, personally, because as a guest I would find it *really* odd that you had registered for cash for a honeymoon when you claim you really want the cash you receive to go towards a house.
    Married 10/2/10
  • If you don't want gifts then decline any showers.  Showers are meant to "shower" the bride with gifts, not checks, giftcards, and HM registry printouts.

As for how to deal with people asking: just tell them.  I would say "we have a small registry at xx store and we are also saving for a house."  Like quote, I would leave the HM registry out of it completely.
  • From what I've seen, if you only have a few items on your registries, people will more than likely give you money anyways. Like everyone so far has stated, provide your small registry at X of fun things you've always wanted like a marg maker, golf bag, vases...whatever, since some insist on buying a gift for you. I hope it works out for you!! 
  • I think you should at least attempt to find some things that you don't already have to register from. And I would tell them that exactly like duckie and quote suggested. Good luck
    Anniversary
  • Thanks for all the suggestions! Very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards