Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Need Advice: Should I return Bridal shower gift?

I had a bridal shower a week ago and my FI  Grand Ma gave me a gift I didn't register for.  A blender/food processeor duet. Although it is really nice I registered for a really nice blender. Should I return it and get the blender or should I just keep the duet. (I already have a small and large food processor. I don't need another)  I am just worried she will ask about it or my MIL will ask for it. What do I say ?  that i returned it?!  I feel that would only hurt feelings.  Plus she really wrote me a nice card.  Ugh I am so conflicted.  Do I keep something I don't need or do i return it and have guilt?  Thoughts anyone?   

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need Advice: Should I return Bridal shower gift?

• Options
    EK2013EK2013 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_need-advice-should-i-return-bridal-shower-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:f2e1df11-7073-40a3-a2ae-f90b75affca1Post:78458e2e-c5ac-4af8-be7d-0a5d04770eb5">Need Advice: Should I return Bridal shower gift?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had a bridal shower a week ago and my FI  Grand Ma gave me a gift I didn't register for.  A blender/food processeor duet. Although it is really nice I registered for a really nice blender. Should I return it and get the blender or should I just keep the duet. (I already have a small and large food processor. I don't need another)  I am just worried she will ask about it or my MIL will ask for it. What do I say ?  that i returned it?!  I feel that would only hurt feelings.  Plus she really wrote me a nice card.  Ugh I am so conflicted.  Do I keep something I don't need or do i return it and have guilt?  Thoughts anyone?   
    Posted by marisolgarcia1[/QUOTE]

<div>How does your FI feel about it?</div>
  • Options
    I would return it if you're not going to use it.  It sounds like it would just be clutter in your house if you kept it.  

Do you really think she or your MIL will ask about it?  If so, I would just say something general, like, "I have been doing so much awesome cooking with my new equipment" or something.  I think they would not be justified in getting hurt that you didn't keep it if they asked, though--I would never buy someone an appliance with the expectation that they would definitely keep it.  For that kind of thing, I buy from the registry and give a gift receipt.  You still write her a nice thank you note, and don't mention in the note that you don't plan to keep it.
  • Options

Because it is from his grandmother, I would ask your FI what he wants to do with it.

Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    I would personally look up reviews and features of the gift before automatically returning it, just in case it actually fits your needs.  

If you are leaning towards returning it, then yes, I would also ask your FI before you make a decision in case he would be horribly offended or if someone would find out.  
  • Options
    Thank you so much!  

I am going to return it today.  I feel so much better.  I also asked the FI and he could care less. Which makes things much easier!  Thanks much for your replies!  

Also  - I looked up reviews and it turns out this item is expensive but got really bad reviews.  :) Excited to get a good blender.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards