Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Yikes!

I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks, and wanted to get a gift for the couple.  I went to website and saw that they are registered at Amazon.  Their registry has on it a few items that are leaving me scratching my head such as a bicycle, a camera, an IPad, and gift cards to over 5 places including Sephora, PF Changs, and the Outback.   I usually give a large gift off the registry, but I don't feel comfortable giving them any of this and think I'll just give them a card with a check.  What's your take on this?
Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

Re: Yikes!

• Options
    Maybe they didn't need china or towels?
  • Options
    What's wrong with what they registered for? Not everyone needs or wants the "home stuff".

If you really have a problem with it (which really shouldn't get you this concerend) then just do as you say and write a check.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Honestly, I disagree with the previous two posters. I see where you're coming from. The camera and bike are no biggie to me though. In my family, I would get the side eye for registering for those because I'm a poor grad student that needs home essentials more than "extras" like that. But if the couple is well established and living together, or from two complete homes that are now combining, then I have no problem with camping equipment, sports equipment, or electronics on the registry. BUT, I do have a problem with gift cards. It's a little odd to me to have a Sephora gift card on your wedding registry, you wouldn't register for lipstick and nailpolish so why the GC? Weird.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    The gift cards are basically just asking for money, so might as well just do what you plan - give a card with a check.
  • Options
    I vote for a card and a check...

I mean aren't the registry items supposed to be utilized by both the bride and the groom... And I know my groom would not appreciate Sephora... Just saying...
    Everyday is a miracle. Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_yikes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:fa6f9d77-7792-4012-a88f-ff0d7047f062Post:3bce80ae-2468-46e1-9e73-ef32bc201310">Re: Yikes!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I don't like that at all. How exactly is an ipad going to help start a couple's life together? And the gift cards....beyond tacky. If you truly have everything for your home, you should just not register and people will give cash.
    Posted by flamingtwig72[/QUOTE]

Agreed.
  • Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2010
    I agree that the gift cards are tacky, but the other stuff?  I say as long as they plan to use it as a couple, whatever.  For a couple that has what they need for their home, but would like to start cycling together as a couple's activity, I'd love to help them with that.  

If you aren't comfortable giving any of those things, it is perfectly fine to give cash or a physical gift that is more in line with what you are comfortable with, regardless of whether it is on a registry or not.

I'll add, restaurant GCs are my go-to gift for couples (date night) but I still think registering for them is obnoxious.
  • Options

They may have registered for these kinds of gifts so their guests would be more inclined to just give cash/checks. A way of asking for cash without asking for it.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_yikes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:fa6f9d77-7792-4012-a88f-ff0d7047f062Post:5f14aaa3-48c5-4259-8d4a-ef4953aff9eb">Re: Yikes!</a>:
    [QUOTE]They may have registered for these kinds of gifts so their guests would be more inclined to just give cash/checks. A way of asking for cash without asking for it.
    Posted by HKD817[/QUOTE]

Ummm, what? You think someone would intentionally "insult" someone or make them uncomfortable to get money? They probably wouldn't GET as much of anything going about it that way.

Photobucket
  • Options
    My only guidlines for registries is that it's stuff both the bride and groom can use together.  Just one bike seems odd, but if they each registered for one, I'd think it's fine.  The gift cards (although it's essentially asking for cash) is mostly okay for me, I know a few people who give gift cards for everything, and normally for places that person would never go...so I guess just as a way to let people know where they do go??  The Sephora one is a bit of a stretch though.  The iPad and camera are fine with me too because they could both use it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I can definitely see not wanting to get someone a gift card, though I have no problem with people registering for it. But how could you possibly be put off by getting someone something so useful and cool as a bicycle or a camera? Hell, a camera is a wonderful gift for people about to go on a honeymoon!

I prefer "couple gifts", but it's not like most grooms give a everylovingratsASS about china or guest towels and will only tangentially use them, so I'm not going to sideeye anything.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_yikes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:fa6f9d77-7792-4012-a88f-ff0d7047f062Post:259f5153-e596-4bb4-9460-55fc9ecbbc3d">Re: Yikes!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So what about the grooms who register for power tools? Or in my case, the bride who registers for power tools? I'm most likely going to be the only one who uses them. Does that make that registry invalid?
    Posted by Manwaithiel[/QUOTE]

<div>Meh, that's not any different than me registering for a mixer.  My husband is never, ever, ever going to touch that thing.  </div><div>
    </div><div>But he's going to eat the cookies that come out of it, just like the bride (or your groom) will enjoy the shelf you just hung.  </div><div>
    </div><div>It's for the home, it's for them both.  It's not like sephora or a dress that is legitimately only for one of them.</div>
  • Options
    I'm just saying that it's not really anyone's right to say what the couple can and cannot use together especially if it's something like an ipad. I understand the Sephora stuff and the gift cards. I don't understand the massive juding of the rest of it.

Photobucket
  • Options
    I just have a problem that they want a gift card to PF Changs. Seriously? PF Changs? Gross
  • Options

In their defense, they might not think it's any different then selecting the "gift card option" on a registry. But I agree it's still tacky to do that.

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards