Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Good set of cookware?

This has probably been posted before, but does anyone recommend their pots and pans?

I'd love All Clad, but they are just way too expensive for me to feel comfortable putting them on our registry. Right now we're registered for a Cuisinart Stainless Steel set. I was just curious what other people have :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Good set of cookware?

• Options
    We registered for All Clad at Macys because they are always on sale… I am also curious about other brands!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We went with the Calphalon Contemporary non-stick.  Both the nonstick and the stainless steel set get great reviews.  We love ours!  I particularly love the glass lids.
  • Options
    I have that Cuisinart Stainless set and LOVE it. We only registered for non-stick skillets because our stainless is still perfect after 4 years of use. Well, we also registered for a larger stock pot with strainer/steamers. The stock pot that comes in the Cuisinart set is great, but on the smaller side.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love All-Clad, Calphalon, and Le Creuset.  

However... I can't really afford All-Clad or Le Creuset.  What I did a few years ago -- all-clad was making a line sold at Sams Club.  I got basically an in-company knock-off of all-clad set.  I have since supplemented with a few non-stick pans from Calphalon, and either will purchase or get from gift registry a Dutch oven in an off brand (Fontignac) sold at BB&B which seems to be of similar quality to Le Creuset.

I like variety in pots and pans, rather than all being the same material.  You have more versatility, as non-stick really isn't meant to cook at high heats or for a long long time (4-8 hour soups and stews, etc). Oh, and non-stick is GREAT for morning omlets or for some of the freezer bag meals like Bertolli and others.  

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_good-set-of-cookware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:fd8c9d1d-8994-4a2c-aa26-cdd03161a1abPost:96cacbfc-3d36-4c96-a286-d4d16e21c627">Re: Good set of cookware?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went with the Calphalon Contemporary non-stick.  Both the nonstick and the stainless steel set get great reviews.  We love ours!  I particularly love the glass lids.
    Posted by noodle_oo[/QUOTE]

YEP. it is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    We purchased the JC Penney Cooks set since that's what FI's parent's use and recommend. Love it so far!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have Paula Deen's non-stick set that I bought when I moved out and I love it. We registered for calphalon's comtemporary stainless steel pans and some le creuset though, cause you can only do so much with non stick Smile
    December 2011 Weddings September Siggy: Shoes
    Vintage shoes I found at an antique store about 10 years ago :)

CIMG0051

Retro/Vintage Siggy Challenge: Favorite Vintage Movie
    sabrina

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you don't want to sacrifice quality, you could just use some wedding money to buy All Clad and Le Creuset from a Williams Sonoma outlet. That's what we did, and we saved a ton of money and were able to get what we wanted.
  • Options
    We have Calphalon's tri-ply stainless and LOVE it! I cook all the time and it is So much better than the set of kitchenaid non-stick that I used to have.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    Oooh, I second Le Crueset as well!   I love making soups/stews/chili and I bought one of their big dutch ovens at the outlet store.  It was probably 40% off there and a "factory second" although there is nothing wrong with it that I could tell!  They have some small cosmetic issue that makes them seconds but I couldn't even tell why mine was a second.  I *LOVE* it!

I really wanted a Le Creuset one, but I know there are cheaper options, like Rachel Ray has some and I think Martha Stewart ones are carried at Macy's. 

Wow, I need to find a Williams Sonoma outlet near me... that would be fun!
  • Options
     www.berndes-cookware.com/">http://www.berndes-cookware.com/

The best cookware.. handsdown...
    The Luckiest Bride to be Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the great responses, all! I didn't even think about checking outlets :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I didn't register for a set.  I registered for individual pieces of Le Creuset, All-Clad and Calphalon.
  • Options
    My sister has Analon, I swear by it. I love cooking on her pots and pans they are great!!!! We are registering for it. Macy's and Bed Bath and Beyond carry it, however Macy's always has a really good sale on it!
  • Options
    we registered for Hard Anodized...I've heard good things about it!
    September 2011 December Siggy: First Kiss
    imagePregnancy Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Blog!
  • Options
    We have Calphalon One, which sadly isn't made anymore.  It was their only line of American-made non-stick cookware.

If you're worried about the price of All-Clad, then I'd register for Calphalon Tri-Ply stainless.  It's a great set and a bit less expensive than the other.  It still maintains a lifetime guarantee as long as you follow the proper care instructions.

At the moment, Macy's is having their Friends & Family event which lasts through May.  Most everything in the store is 25% off and that includes Calphalon and All-Clad.  Good luck with your decision!
  • Options
    All Clad is great but I think it's overkill for home use. It's used heavily in restaurants because it's so sturdy and can handle the constant abuse. I just don't think it's necessary to spend that much money on something that is meant for commercial use. I like Paula Deens line of cookware, it's sturdy and affordable.
  • Options
    I would register for what you really want, but just break up the set. You can register at a department store that regularly has sales and register for less expensive (but useful!) basic All-Clad items like their French skillets (under $100) or one stock pot. 

Register for the less expensive pieces and then try to find the more expensive large pots or specialty cookware at either an outlet or through an online sale! It may take you a while to build up your collection, but it's so worth it to just get what you want in the first place. I know that when I try to buy 2nd or 3rd best just to save money, by a few years' time I've actually spent more before I just give up and buy what I wanted in the first place! 
    "I liked it, so I put a ring on it" - future Mr. Box
  • Options
    gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I had a full set of Analon pots and pans already (which I LOVE).   We added a couple of All-Clad pieces to fill in the gaps (and love them, too).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards