Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Is Airbrush worth it?

ok i keep going back and forth with this... I am contemplating whether or not I should get mine and my bridesmaid's make done by a airbrush makeup artist??? I read others reviews for artists around the DFW area and have contacted a few of them. 
It's just that I was going to have my sister or my best friend do my make-up because I really am simple and could not see spending money on it... plus i see so many pictures of brides who get their make-up done and their face is a different color than their body or they just look like its wayyyyy too much! I want to look simple and elegant but of course have my features more enhanced (HELLO ITS MY WEDDING DAY :) i have 4 bridesmaids and myself and really only want to spend $3-400. 
What do you think??? Should I do it? Do you recommend anyone? Can i pull off the price?
Oh PLUS the wedding is in downtown ft. worth but my FI and I live in ABQ, NM bc my FI is in the Air Force. So i would not be able to do a trial run and bridal portraits have already been taken. It seems like both of these are included in these expensive packages. Is it even worth it or should I forget about it??

Re: Is Airbrush worth it?

• BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In my opinion, it definitely is worth it. It makes your skin look flawless and lasts all day and night. You should talk to my girl, Amanda. www.ahmakeupartistry.com

She's $110 for full airbrush makeup, but she quoted me $25 (I think) for just the airbrush foundation, with no eyes, lips, etc. I think it might be worth talking to her at least, she's really nice.
  • edited December 2011
    I think it is.  I just recently had mine done for my bridal photos and it made me look flawless and no different color compared to the rest of my body.  My MUA charges $60 for makeup/airbrush, which is Kristie Luv and you can find her contact info on my BIO. 

Plus, feel free to take a look at my bridal pics if you would like to on Jennifer Strains blog.  I think I look like my self, but a little bit sassy :)
    http://www.jenniferstrainphoto.com/blog/
    Photobucket I finally married the love of my life! Planning Bio: Bio
  • edited December 2011

When you contact make-up artists, you can explain that you've already had your bridals taken because you're in NM and ask what their price would be without that in their package.  I live in TX but got married in CA, so I did that with my photographer with engagement photos - she didn't have a problem taking the cost out of her standard package (and then further negotiating the price from there).

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is absolutely 100% worth it.  I was airbrushed for my wedding and E-pics (which I took outside in Texas in May) and my makeup looked as great when I went to bed as it did when it was done.  It is lightweight while providing great coverage and photographs beautifully. 

ETA:  My siggy pic was one of my last pictures of the night--I still looked great.
  • edited December 2011
    I wasn't going to airbrush...but now I am thinking about it. Bananna do you know if Amanda fills up fast? Obviously I am giving very very short notice!! My wedding is on June 18th and my bridals are like next week...Embarassed - I may be way too late!
  • edited December 2011
    You gals got me thinking of doing it too.  I have been wavering on this issue for the past few months.  I don't wear make-up and I was planning on going au naturelle for my vow renewal, but with all of the glowing write-ups, I think I am sold. 
  • edited December 2011
    BanannaP - Thanks so much for the info! I had previously contacted your recommendation before i even listed this post! She quoted me at all most $600 for myself and 4 BM's! Which i understand its over $100 for each girl. Buttt I did not even think about just doing the foundation for the BM's! That is SUCH a good idea. I emailed her back and asked her if she could offer anything like that? If she can i think i'm going to go for it!! What a great idea! Thanks so much!

Hopeless_Romantic - Thanks for your recommendation also! She did a wonderful job, your pictures look gorgeous!!! I also just sent her an e-mail. Does that $60 charge include everything? WOW! This sounds too good to be true? Let me know!!!

I have decided that i DEF have to do it!!! All of your pictures look flawless! Keep with your recommendations! I'm still searching for the right (budget friendly) one!!
  • DonnaariesDonnaaries member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had regular (mineral based) makeup done for engagement photos and it was sweating off in the hot Texas sun after 2 hours.  I had airbrush makeup done for my bridals at 10:00am, and I went out later that evening and my makeup was still perfect at 10:00pm.  Definitely worth the upgrade to airbrush.
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
    Donna Cooks: My Food Blog
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad someone asked this. I was on the fence about getting hair/makeup done for my e-pics this weekend, especially since I have such sensitive/dry skin I usually don't bother with any foundation.

But bridgetlb - you're making me think airbrush might be an OK risk to take, since you said you have sensitive skin too and just went for it on the day of your e-pics! No trial run before that, right? (I'm hoping I'm not crazy for doing this).

Anyway, I'm going to Halo Salon & Color Lab in FW, because I saw they do full airbrush for $55 (in the salon, anyway - don't know if they travel). I just called and got an appointment with only a couple days' notice, so that might be an option. Hopefully they do a good job. I've never been to the salon, so I can't really vouch for it yet - hopefully in a couple of days, if the weather cooperates!
  • BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    linzcw - I'm not sure, I booked my October wedding last month, and there was another bride who wanted the same day. But, she worked it out so that she can accomodate both of us, so she's definitely worth contacting.
  • edited December 2011
    MarieSD when do you have your appointment? Will you please let me know how your appointment goes my venue is in fort worth, and the price is in budget for sure.
  • edited December 2011
    no way! go for it! i used that as my first trial run for the wedding,.... yes i took the risk of it not turning out right and then i'd have terrible e-pics, but... me, like everyone else is on a budget, so a trial run before that was too much. just make sure you bring pics of what you want and be as detailed as possible as to what you like and don't like before she starts!!! i found some online or in magazines and showed them to her and told her what colors i liked and stuff like that. then you will have your beautiful engagement pics to show the person who does your makeup the day of and she should be able to recreate it.
  • edited December 2011
    btw, i have extremely sensitive skin, allergic to fragrance and i have extremely dry skin as well, so i was scared it would be "cakey" like loose mineral foundation does..... but as i said, no way... it was beautiful! i put some good moisturizer on that morning. it was flawless, litterally like i had nothing on my skin, but no blemishes and my skin looked smooth and hydrated. when i put mineral foundation on, i look like a freak and the color is weird!!!! the makeup artist will be able to match your coloring perfect. i can't wait to see how it turns out!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_airbrush-worth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:d63e9e9d-215d-40ac-bec5-1b1e34fe1eb9Post:9438ad60-b957-4a17-a094-a543c9b91c41">Re: Is Airbrush worth it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]linzcw - I'm not sure, I booked my October wedding last month, and there was another bride who wanted the same day. But, she worked it out so that she can accomodate both of us, so she's definitely worth contacting.
    Posted by BanannaP[/QUOTE]

I got in contact with her and am going for a trial tonight!! Yeah!
    Thanks for the recommendation!
  • edited December 2011
    amber+richard05 - my appointment at Halo is this Saturday. I'll definitely post/send you a PM to give you my opinion of how it was. I'll hopefully also remember to ask if they travel, since I already have a wedding hairstylist coming to me. It seems silly to then have my wedding party troop out to a salon for makeup, but I wouldn't put it past me to do it to save a buck. I don't know if you googled the salon, but I liked that they  also have the option for just eye makeup. That's my backup plan if me + foundation just don't mix.

bridgetlb - thanks, that reassures me a lot! Thanks for the reminder about moisturizing beforehand ... that'll definitely make a difference. I had thought to look for hairstyles I like to show a stylist, but not makeup ... that's a good idea! Ooo project for today!
  • edited December 2011
    rhsdiplomanic....yes $60 is for everything :)  Then I'm getting my hair done by her too so it will be $120 for me :)
    Photobucket I finally married the love of my life! Planning Bio: Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards