Second Weddings

Lost my job...2 days after my wedding. :(

So...I went into work this morning and thought it was strange that my security badge didn't work.  A coworker let me in and I found that my account was disabled.

Apparently, they canceled my contract yesterday afternoon and no one told me.  My wedding bouquet was still on my desk.  I packed up my things and left quietly, professionally.  The consulting company I was working through apologized profusely and explained that the company had decided that I was not a good fit and that I was overqualified for the position.

I had come in to work early...the day after my wedding.  I had given up time with family who had flown in for it for this company...and they already knew they were planning on letting me go. WTF.

It's a good thing we got married when we did, though...because now dh is putting me on his insurance.  I'm just so very angry and hurt right now.  After all we've been through...now this?

Ugh.

Re: Lost my job...2 days after my wedding. :(

• I'm so sorry that's terrible and very disrespectful!  I can't believe you came in the day after your wedding.  I'm so sorry!
  • That's so dumb... How long were you with the company? 
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_lost-my-job2-days-after-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:01bc8f56-52c7-4b74-a7d8-a1651888030dPost:9643d055-201a-4f48-a690-ddf62290c148">Lost my job...2 days after my wedding. :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]So...I went into work this morning and thought it was strange that my security badge didn't work.  A coworker let me in and I found that my account was disabled. Apparently, they canceled my contract yesterday afternoon and no one told me.  My wedding bouquet was still on my desk.  I packed up my things and left quietly, professionally.  The consulting company I was working through apologized profusely and explained that the company had decided that I was not a good fit and that I was overqualified for the position. I had come in to work early...the day after my wedding.  <strong>I had given up time with family who had flown in for it for this company...and they already knew they were planning on letting me go. WTF</strong>. It's a good thing we got married when we did, though...because now dh is putting me on his insurance.  I'm just so very angry and hurt right now.  After all we've been through...now this? Ugh.
    Posted by boaznruth[/QUOTE]

It all sucks esp the bolded
  • I'm so sorry!  What a shitty thing to do.
    DSC_9275
  • I'm sorry that they did that to you, how horrible. 
  • That is terrible! I can just picture a bunch of HR people and managers sitting around saying "Should we tell her before or after the wedding?"  My guess is they made the choice they thought was best, but it's never a "best time" to be informed you have lost your job.

My son has been through this twice in the past 2 years. Both times he found a better job. My experience is the same, even in tough economies when no one appeared to be hiring, I always found the door that was closed ended up a window being opened to better opportunities. I know right now that probably seems trite, but honestly, you handled it professionally and that will help.

Make sure to get wonderful recommendation letters from these people..... they probably feel so badly they will do it willingly.

Keep us posted on your progress. Also, go on your local board and give them a brief overview of what your job is. Our local board (Detroit) is rife with people who have lost, then found jobs. Often someone knows about a job that you might be perfect for.

Good luck.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I am sorry to hear this.  It would have been nice if you'd been told earlier, but there really is no good timing for termination.  There is a silver lining though -- you now have a wonderful husband to hold your hand through your next transition. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards