Second Weddings

XP! CardBox - do I need one?

Another dilemma! 2nd wedding for us, we requested in the annoucements that in lieu of gifts we picked to fundraisers. (Our kids H.S. sports teams that we are heavily involved with & can get costly)  So, they have an option to donate or not.  It really doesn't matter to me and I won't be offended in any way if no one gives.  We didnt see the need for gifts as we have been living togther and have everything we need.  So, should I do a cardbox?  I would rather not have one if it seems pushy or makes guests feel obligated to give.  Opinions? Suggestions?  TIA!

Re: XP! CardBox - do I need one?

• handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Was that message in an actual announcement, or the invitation?  An announcement is made and sent to folks AFTER the wedding.  The invitiation, well, is an invitation to the wedding and then presumably, the party/reception/celebration afterwards.   NO mention of gifts, even to say no gifts, should appear in an invitation.  However, it appears this horse may already be out of the barn. 

Truthfully, I don't think you need a card box.  Remember the old days, when all gifts were sent to the bride's house 2 to 3 weeks BEFORE the wedding?  That was so much easier--the couple didn't have to schlepp all the gifts somewhere else before the honeymoon?  For my first wedding, I recieved almost all the gifts this way--weeks before the wedding, including checks.  It was GREAT. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Even if they don't give gifts or donate, people will still give you cards of congratulations.  At least, I would :-)  It would be nice to have a place for guests to leave cards, whether it's a box or basket or whatever.
    DSC_9275
  • gupsmomgupsmom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_xp-cardbox-need-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:1008edf5-0133-4f71-99f7-0f107d2a6c19Post:4299ee8f-1caa-4700-928c-bc9529bd38ff">Re: XP! CardBox - do I need one?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Was that message in an actual announcement, or the invitation?  An announcement is made and sent to folks AFTER the wedding.  The invitiation, well, is an invitation to the wedding and then presumably, the party/reception/celebration afterwards.   NO mention of gifts, even to say no gifts, should appear in an invitation.  Posted by handfast4me[/QUOTE]

The message is in an annoument - they are being sent after a private ceremony.  We are having an open house style reception a few weeks after getting married.
  • edited December 2011
    This is my 2nd marriage and FI 3rd... and we are having a card box.  Like Avion22 said many people will want to at least give you a card to wish you congrats.  Even if its a basket so that there is somewhere to keep them during your open house.
    image 141 Are ready to party!
    weddingcountdown.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, now I'm confused.  So, you sent announcements of your wedding already--and want to know about a card box?  Announcements are only mailed AFTER the wedding takes place.  Therefore, it would be AFTER the wedding and reception, so if any gifts are recieved, they wouldn't go in a card box (unless you're just keeping one in your home, for your own reasons). 

If you sent invitations, again, those shouldn't include any mention of gifts.  And truthfully, I don't think I've ever seen an announcement (again mailed after the wedding has taken place) that states anything about gifts, registry, etc.  The only time I've ever seen registry information is on wedding websites and in shower invitations. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • amy7177amy7177 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes. you need a cardbox. no matter if i bring a gift, donate to a fundraiser by request, etc. I always bring a card anytime i go to a wedding. I figure its nice for their memory books and really put thought into it. I always put some kind of money in it. With that being said, if you get cards with money you need a safe and nice looking place to put them. they dont seem  pushy in my oppinion. Just a norm.
    Married on July 29, 2011
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think an actual, decorated frou-frou box is needed.  How about a simple basket?  I think that's what we'll end up doing.  Honestly, I bet I'll forget about it until that afternoon and ask the venue manager to find something. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards