Second Weddings

Another question....re: registering

I'm not sure what everyone's situation is here, but personally, FI and I live together, and have things in our home already.  We've been questioned by numerous friends and family members about where we're registered at, and that is something we didn't even think about.  We certainly don't need things for our home, and I don't think it's PC to register for frivilous (sp?) things because we're certainly not materialistic individuals.  Any suggestions?

Re: Another question....re: registering

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's a thread a few posts down about this.  I read it last night and ran away from here.  But I'll go ahead and just say it--I'm doing a HM registry.  It's adorable, tasteful, people love it, it has been well received, and it's practical for us.  Say what you will, but for the over 30 crowd, it's perfectly acceptable. I also did a small regular registry.  I just registered for things I would really love to have--crystal, gold chargers, home decor, gourmet cooking utensils, etc. You can also do a home improvement registry, hobbies, camping, etc. Flame away, but when you're over 30 and have 2 households, you don't more towels, I don't care how new and nice they are!
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    So I live in the "don't like honeymoon registries" camp.  But I am not about to flame you. I especially think that if you have other options for a registry, then your guests can choose from there. In addition, one of the nicest gifts we got for our wedding was that my DH's brothers paid into our on board account for our cruise, which we used for excursions etc. Anyway - the reason your guests are asking about a registry is that they want to buy you something, and as you stated, you will be tough to choose for,since you have what you need.   So other options might be home improvement items, books & music, hobby items, etc.  I also don't care for gift card registries.  If you want gift cards to the store, can't you figure out ahead of time what item you are going to use them for?  And if the only item you can come up with is a big screen TV, to me - that seems greedy.  I do, however, LOVE gift cards and give them often, so a store registry that had both items AND gift cards would be ok with me. Either way - I don't care what YOU do, this is just what I would do. ~Donna
  • edited December 2011
    What is UP with the wonky centering of my posts?  I have logged out and back in & everything and it won't go away.  Sheesh!
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unfortunately, not to point finger (luv ya, Shell!) but after every post by brian&shelli the posts become centered rather than left justified.  Hmmmm.   Shelli must just be a centered person, rather than my left-leaning self.  :-) 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited December 2011
    I have to say I am not registering.  I just don't really want to.  You ladies make me giggle!
  • edited December 2011
    Yep, I'm the guilty one here!  My "replies" for some reason come out centered.  Weird huh?  It's all about the codes in my siggy link.  Oh well!With regard to the whole registry thing, I certainly don't think any negative thoughts about whether people choose to go all out and register.   Quite honestly, we could probably use some new things, but I'm really not that materialistic.  I'm glad the PP mentioned about her BIL adding credit to their onboard ship credit, because I do have that option available and it was posted in our Wedding Website.  I don't know if I worded that PC here in this post, (not wanting to sound greedy) and I certainly don't expect our traveling guests to have to do that, but it is an option that they can choose to contribute to as our gift.  In fact, there are a couple of family members who aren't able to cruise with us however the gave us a gift of onboard ship credit already.Sorry for the long reply.  : )
    edited December 2011
    Register.  Certainly there are things you want, and certainly things that could use upgrading.  If not, you'll get the Chili Pepper Lamp.  It's a Second Wedding story--but legendary. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited December 2011
    Please do share about this Chili Lamp. : )
  • ZoolooZooloo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have a honeyfund registry and a myregistry.com registry. You can put absolutely anything on either. I don't know what you classify as 'frivilous', but people are going to want to give you gifts - might as well get what you want rather than something you don't. If you'd really like to satisfy both people's desire to gift something and your desire to keep things simple, suggest a charity guests can donate to on your behalf rather than giving you material presents.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Planning Bio - A Total Work in Progress...
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    NotFroofy and I didn't register initially.  However, after a couple of guests asked about it, we decided to set up registries for items we really need to upgrade.  Our registry includes items like a circular saw, a pet nail trimmer for our dog, new garbage cans (I can't wait to see if anyone buys those!), etc.  If people don't want to give gifts at all, want to make a donation to charity in our name, or want to give us something not on the list, that's fine.  However, for those who would appreciate some guidance, the registry is out there.
    edited December 2011
    I used to not be for the honeymoon registering, either, but I've come to accept them and actually like them now. Wish I had done it. The chili pepper lamp:  One of the second timers on this board didn't register, and got a chili pepper lamp.  Which did NOT go with her decor. Worse, it was from a very dear friend who visited her house often, so she was forced to use and display the thing!  Another bride here didn't register and now has a closet full of white elephant gifts, including a bunch of bridal related scrap book stuff, and she doesn't scrapbook!  So, register.  Even if it's for towels.  Who can't use more sheets and towels? 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!  I will take your advice (handsfast ~ notice, I didn't say "advise") and register. Perhaps at Target!  I ♥ Target, and not because I'm biased either.  Once again, thanks for all of your input.
    edited December 2011
    And, thank the Goddess, you did not say imput.  :-) 
  • edited December 2011
    Handsfast, you make my day!  Btw, I used to follow your blog, but somehow I can't find it anymore!  :(
  • edited December 2011
    Jeez Retread - maybe the header of the SW board ought to add the rejoinder to "Fear the chili pepper lamp!!"~Donna
    edited December 2011
    I love that Donner!  That might could be our motto.  Our motter, as they say in NE. :-P
    edited December 2011
    And thanks for the blog following!  I had to take a bunch of it down, because I found a publisher--I still have a bunch to write, and the book won't be out for another year or two, but I like to think that if Jill Conner Brown and David Sedaris had a baby together, that I would have been the kid!  :-)  (I wish I could be as funny and write as well as they do!)
  • jlk67jlk67 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    The very first question I asked on this board was about registering and got the same advice.  I'm really grateful I followed it.  Neither of us had a complete set of dishes and our towels were seriously worn out.  We registered for dishes, towels and then a few kitchen items that we thought were cool.  We ended up receiving all of the items we thought were cool, and 10 place settings for our dishes.  We only got a couple set of towels, but those are items that we can easily get ourselves.  I also got chastised by my boss about not sending my registry info with my invitation.  I told her it was tacky, but she thinks it tackier to make people ask you where you are registered.  It was on my website, but she had not looked at it.
  • edited December 2011
    In regards to telling people about registries, I agree with jlk67. It's tacky to put it in your invitations. I am making something that has our wedding website on it (registry info is on site) and our hotel group rates for guests. I am including that in the invitation. I say, register. We have a running list on our fridge of things we think about that we will want to register for; things that we could use, want, need...Think about any room you want to makeover and register for those items. Just suggestions...Beware of the Chili Pepper Lamp! I love it!
  • edited December 2011
    After reading all of this, I am DEFINATELY going to register as I mentioned above.  I am still kind of hesitant about it, but am going to do it nonetheless.  I think we could definately use some new towels.... and maybe an upgrade on our old toaster!  :)  Thanks so much ladies!  Honestly, I think it was the Chili Pepper Lamp that did it!  I'd like to think that RetreadBride is the only one that has that lovely thing in her home.  :)
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The wedding registry page on our site says, "Please feel free to disregard if these aren’t the droids you are looking for."  But I figure it's at least there for those who want it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards