Second Weddings
Options

Hi ladies...

I've posted here before, then have been MIA for a couple months.. Question ~ My 22 year old will be walking me down the Aisle. He is in the Marine Corp and will be in his Dress Blues for the ceremony. I'm not sure if you guys know the correct answer to this but, is he able to wear a Bout? I don't suppose they can alter their uniform in any way correct? Also, our ceremony is on the beach and Brian's nice will be playing the flute (she's an accomplished musician) and I'm having a hard time finding "the right" song for her. Any suggestions?!? Thanks so much!

Re: Hi ladies...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Shelli,  I believe that they are not allowed to wear a bout, however Stacy or one of the other girls may know more about that.   As for the floutist (sp?)  I chose "gabriels oboe" for my processional, yo yo ma has a great rendition of it on Itunes if youre interested in hearing it. I don't know your ethnic background but there are some really pretty celtic tunes that sound beautiful on the flute. Alys Howe is a canadian harpist who has a ton of celtic music on her website, to give you an idea of what the songs sound like. If you like them, the sheet music for a flute should be pretty easy to find for your fiance's niece.  We chose wild mountain thyme and got the sheet music for my brother to play on the guitar.    Hope that helps a little, im sure others will have more suggestions!congrats!Mac
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, Mac is correct.  Service members can't add any non-regulation adornments to their uniforms. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! Much appreciated!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dang. Hit POST too soon.  The flute (that's how I got into my bachelor's degree program in music, but then switched instruments) had the same range, pretty much, as a woman's voice who is a lyric soprano.  So, any piece that you like find that is written or has sheet music for voice and piano or voice and guitar would be fine.  If her flute is a closed-hole C flute, (that's what most people play until they get into the instrument in a truly serious way) the lowest note is the middle C.  Highest note, comfortably for our ears will probably be the c on the ledger lines above the G cleff.  Most flutists can get a bit higher, but if you're nervous at all, you can mess it up.   The piece Mac suggested is a perfect one!
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, he can't.  I am a Marine, and a bout is not allowed on any uniform.  Dress blues have very distinct criteria, and cannot be accessorized. My daughter played violin, her BFF played flute, and our dear friend played piano for our processional/recessional.  They played Canon in D at my request.  It is a very repetitive piece, so they could loop their favorite parts together to get the right length of time for the music.  It was fantastic.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And, LesPaul--thank you for your service!  We've got a fairly high proportion of servicemembers on this board--or relatives thereof.  TrueLove's son just returned overseas, my DH (and ex) are retired military, and my sister just went back to the reserves after being in active duty for 18 years in the Army.  I think Kmmsg is active duty, too, but I could have that wrong. 
  • Options
    LesPaulLesPaul member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Handfast.  It's great to hear about such dedication from all our family and friends.  I have a nephew in the Navy, and another going into the Marines soon.  My Dad was Air Force, and his 3 brothers were Navy and Marines.  I would love to see the pics of Shelli and her son walking down the aisle . . .
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "Thanks, Handfast. It's great to hear about such dedication from all our family and friends. I have a nephew in the Navy, and another going into the Marines soon. My Dad was Air Force, and his 3 brothers were Navy and Marines. I would love to see the pics of Shelli and her son walking down the aisle . . . " LesPaul ~ I will definitely post photos, so if you're around here come April, you'll be bombarded w/ pictures!!!! :)
  • Options
    LesPaulLesPaul member
    edited December 2011
    We'll be around . . . . please post lots of pics!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards