Second Weddings

NWR *** an interesting essay on Death***

From the New York Times November 2, 2009, 8:25 pm Happy Ending By Todd May In the spring of 2004 I took a flight from my home near Greenville, S.C., to New York to visit my dying step-grandmother. We had been close, and it would be one of the last times I would get to see her. As the flight was about to land, it abruptly ascended and headed toward the Empire State Building. The passengers on the plane became quiet; the aura of 9/11 was hanging in the air.   We flew over the Empire State Building (but too close to the antenna for my comfort) and circled back to La Guardia. As it turned out, a small commuter plane had decided to land without taking account of our aircraft, so the pilot had had to make a quick move. But in those moments when it seemed I was aboard another human missile, I revisited my life. I realized, almost to my surprise, that I would not have traded it in for another life. There had been disappointments, to be sure, but my life appeared to me to have been a meaningful one, a life I did not regret. This is not to say that I was not nearly paralyzed with fear. I was. At the same time, strangely, my life appeared to me as worth having lived.There are two lessons here. The first, and most obvious one, is that death is terrifying. Here in the United States, we have the technology to defer death, so we often pretend it will never really happen to us. There is always another procedure, always a cure in sight if not in hand. But in our sober moments we recognize that we will indeed die, and that we have precious little control over when it will happen.   The harm of death goes to the heart of who we are as human beings. We are, in essence, forward-looking creatures. We create our lives prospectively. We build relationships, careers, and projects that are not solely of the moment but that have a future in our vision of them. One of the reasons Eastern philosophies have developed techniques to train us to be in the moment is that that is not our natural state. We are pulled toward the future, and see the meaning of what we do now in its light.   Death extinguishes that light. And because we know that we will die, and yet we don’t know when, the darkness that is ultimately ahead of each of us is with us at every moment. There is, we might say, a tunnel at the end of this light. And since we are creatures of the future, the darkness of death offends us in our very being. We may come to terms with it when we grow old, but unless our lives have become a burden to us coming to terms is the best we can hope for.   The second, less obvious lesson of this moment of facing death is that in order for our lives to have a shape, in order that they not become formless, we need to die. This will strike some as counterintuitive, even a little ridiculous. But in order to recognize its truth, we should reflect a bit on what immortality might mean.   Immortality lasts a long time. It is not for nothing that in his story “The Immortal” Jorge Luis Borges pictures the immortal characters as unconcerned with their lives or their surroundings. Once you’ve followed your passion — playing the saxophone, loving men or women, traveling, writing poetry — for, say, 10,000 years, it will likely begin to lose its grip. There may be more to say or to do than anyone can ever accomplish. But each of us develops particular interests, engages in particular pursuits. When we have been at them long enough, we are likely to find ourselves just filling time. In the case of immortality, an inexhaustible period of time.   And when there is always time for everything, there is no urgency for anything. It may well be that life is not long enough. But it is equally true that a life without limits would lose the beauty of its moments. It would become boring, but more deeply it would become shapeless. Just one damn thing after another.   This is the paradox death imposes upon us: it grants us the possibility of a meaningful life even as it takes it away. It gives us the promise of each moment, even as it threatens to steal that moment, or at least reminds us that some time our moments will be gone. It allows each moment to insist upon itself, because there are only a limited number of them. And none of us knows how many.   I prefer to think that the paradox of death is the source not of despair but instead of the limited hope that is allotted to us as human beings. We cannot live forever, to be sure, but neither would we want to. We ought not to mind the fact that we will die, although we really would rather that it not be today. Probably not tomorrow either. But it is precisely because we cannot control when we will die, and know only that we will, that we can look upon our lives with the seriousness they merit. Death takes away from us no more than it has conferred: lives whose significance lies in the fact they are not always with us. Our happiness lies in being able to inhabit that fact. Todd May is a professor of philosophy at Clemson University. He is the author 10 books, including “The Philosophy of Foucault” and “Death.” This essay is the last in the 2009 incarnation of Happy Days. The editors would like to thank the diverse group of contributors and the readers of Happy Days for their many thoughtful, incisive, funny and often moving comments. We hope to resume the project in the future.  

Re: NWR *** an interesting essay on Death***

• handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Interesting read.  I have my own idea of what happens to us after we leave this body--so I guess I'm not of afraid of it as I once was.  Still, the unknown. . .    But I hope that what I've done here during this life is making a difference at some level for a couple of people.  Because that's my philosophy of why we're here at all.  On a related note, I think that sometimes women are more accepting, if you will, of death than men.  I have a hard time getting DH to discuss what he wants.  I have everything written out, and had to FORCE him to sit down and review it with me.  Donna, do you think that our culture here in the US plays into this?  Do you know of other cultures that are more accepting of death than ours?  And if so, what are they, and what faith, if any, do they practice? 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited December 2011
    I think part of why women are more in tune to death and dying is that we have, for centuries, been far more responsible for the emotions around it.  The menfolk went out, dug the grave, erected the monuments, spoke the eulogies, etc.  The women sat with the bereaved, held the crying, grieving widow, baked in groups- where talking and crying together they FELT the emotions.  Women have also been the providers of care to the sick, historically. Although the gender bias of physicians has gone away (there are more female med school grads than male, now), the physicians traditional role in death is to wait until the nurse notes the patient has died and calls the doctor, who waltzes in "pronounces" the patient dead, and then offer condolences to the assembled family.  The nurse (who despite some inroads- is still predominantly female) has worked with the family to prepare them for the death, encouraged both their grief and the celebration of the dying person's life, and who remains with them as they continue their grieving. Hmmm, I hadn't thought about it in terms of faith.  I think that a great deal of our inability to talk about death has to do with our healthcare system.  We go about health care as if the money were limitless. We desire to fight death as if it were not inevitable. We think nothing of spending millions of dollars to attempt to prevent a person we love from dying and abhor any talk of what it costs.  We refuse to place a finite dollar value on human life-- except if we are suing someone else for the loss of it, then we can come up with exact dollars and cents.  We will however admit that the loss of a human life is not "worth" as much as democracy, and political gain.  But, I digress.What is most interesting to me is that people who ARE dying value a whole gamut of other things.  They value relief of suffering, even if it shortens their life.  They value the opportunity to connect in a meaningful way with those they love (think of 9/11- the # of people who, knowing they were not going to survive placed phone calls to their loved ones,even if it just a voicemail I love you" - connections matter).  They value dignity, and they do not value time spent in a coma, on a machine, or in pain.    I am sure there are cultures and faiths that do it better than we do.  I just don't have that knowledge.  ~Donna
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know much about buddhism, even though my sister follows that practice, and so I don't know if they have a more "accepting" viewpoint of it.  My thought was that since that's the largest religion in the world (or at least I read that somewhere) that maybe there would be a thought or two.  However, I do know that there are several books left out of the bible, from several hundred years ago.  One of those banned books deals with reincarnation.  It was decided that there would be anarchy if the common people knew about reincarnation, because they wouldn't be motivated to do good things during the current life; therefore the creation of Hell for my Judeo-Christian friends.
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited December 2011
    The role of gender with regard for acceptance and preparation for death is interesting. In my line of work, I daily spend hours with people who are actively dying... or actively trying to prevent death. My experience has been that men are much more accepting of death once they decide that is what their future is (ie- they agree that there are no more treatment options and so they must move forward.) Women, on the other hand, seem to realize that they are nearing death, but like the old adage "a woman's work is never done," they rarely feel as "ready" for death as men. I think this is because women are much more actively involved in very intangible "business" while men are more involved in very concrete "business." Men who are dying prepare for death by making sure the checkbook is balanced, that their wife knows which mechanic they go to for oil changes, by checking to make sure the mortgage paperwork is all in order, by handing off their work responsiblities to another. Women who are dying turn to their address book or contact list. They talk to people. They say the things they wish they had said sooner. They let people know that they are loved. I don't think this kind of "work" that women tend to do- the part that often leads women to be described as the "heart" of their family- is ever really done. For that reason, I have seen women struggle more with their impending death than men. Women worry more about how life... how people... will get on after they are gone. Men may worry about money or papers or whatnot, but they mostly make arrangements and can rest peacefully. However, I do think women realize that death is imminent much more quickly and easily than men do. I think women who are very sick often have a sense, a "knowing" if you will, that they are nearing death, perhaps because they are more in tune with their bodies? Men, I think, have a harder time believing that they are as ill as they are, they certainly have a harder time accepting the limits that illness imposes on them, and they have a very hard time getting to a point where they see that there are no other options. Next fall I am starting an NP program that will give me dual certification as an Adult Acute Care NP and in Palliative/Hospice Care of the Adult. I am passionate about palliative and hospice care, and in this present age, I believe the need for these services is greater than ever before. One of the things I have enjoyed learning about is how different cultures affect your view of death and dying. I look forward to learning more about this subject.Handfast, with regard to other cultures that seem more accepting of death...I spent some time in Ethiopia and was able to speak with some native doctors and nurses, as well as some volunteers from the US and Europe. In Ethiopia, about 40% are Orthodox Christian, 40% are Muslim, and 10% are part of a tribal religion. However, most Ethiopians have the same view of death and dying, regardless of religion. It seems to me that they base the value of their life on their ability to contribue to society... not just through commerce or trade, but through the wisdom that the elderly can offer to the younger generations. The death of a child is a terrible tragedy because the child is robbed of the ability to contribute to society while the death of a person who has made bad choices and has detracted from society is not as deeply mourned, even if they are fairly young. This seems to be true across the religions. The Ethiopian culture is very interesting and very rich, so I am sure this does not begin to fully express the cultural norms, but this bit that I gleamed was very thought-provoking.
  • edited December 2011
    Grace - You and I are sistahs seperated at birth (or before!).  25 years in critical care, starting a palliative care unit where I am now.  Did you go to the CAPC national conference?  I was just there. ~Donna
  • edited December 2011
    Right1- I would have loved to go, but right now, I am not officially part of the Palliative team... in fact, my proposal has not yet been officially approved, so the amount of time I am spending on those educational objectives is limited. Can't wait for next year, though. I am caring for a lady right now who finally had the Palliative team come on-board (I have been pushing for nearly a week...) the difference between who she was at 0700 and who she is at 1400 is so amazing. I find this work to be the most rewarding thing I have ever done (professionally speaking.) We are opening an in-patient hospice unit at my hospital- eager to see where that leads! What are your thoughts about permanent in-patient hospice staff? We are having a hard time finding RNs who want to permanently work the unit... even though we do in-patient hospice in some of our exisiting units and even though many of our RNs work PRN for local hospice agencies. Have you had difficulty finding RNs to do the palliative work?
  • edited December 2011
    We are a small community hospital, so we don't have a hospice unit, and we won't have a palliative care team for about a year, and then it will be a consult service- so the RN associated with it will be an NP.   Our medical/ oncology unit is in essence a hospice unit.  50% of the inpatient deaths occur there, and of the rest most are in the ICU.  I am partnered with a wonderful physician who is deeply committed to building this team, and who is highly skilled ( but not yet boarded) in end of life conversations. I think its hard to be a critical care nurse and NOT become passionate about end of life.  We see so many people who are flogged needlessly, and so many families who struggle to work through the decisions that can be so terrifying.  It doesn't take long to get to the "there must be a better way!" state of mind.  And you have the honor of being part of such a key time in people's lives.   I would not have changed one thing about my career path.  ~Donna
  • edited December 2011
    Oh,  to answer the question you asked... that medical onc floor has the lowest turnover rate in the house. People accept positions in other depts so they can be an internal candidate to transfer to open positions there.  So, seems different than your experience.  ~Donna
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards