Second Weddings

2 family members.

That's all that are going to be present at my wedding, is my dad and my grandma. Every single other family member has declined their invitations to the wedding, as of today. I just received the last RSVP from my aunt and uncle, whom I was always very close to when I was younger, saying they can't come because they have a prior commitment that they have to go to. How can they have a prior commitment? My grandma has been telling me since NOVEMBER that these two were planning on coming. So out of a group of probably around 40-50 people, I'll be related to 2 of them. My two closest friends have both bailed on me in being in my wedding party. I really feel like i've been abandoned by everyone that I really care about, on the one day that was so important to me to have them there. I feel awful.

Re: 2 family members.

• edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry. :(  I know how it feels to feel let down by your family and friends.  Try to surround yourself by people are happy and excited for you, and focus on them.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you're receiving these "no" responses from so many who mean so much to you. That sucks!!! ((((HUGS)))) 

Remember, though, that you have not been abandoned by everyone you really care about.  You will be with your newly minted husband.  Remember that.
  • fireytigerfireytiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I know, I haven't forgotten it. To be honest I wrote my post when I was crying and didn't bother to re-read it, or else I would have caught that. I just don't understand why this is happening. All these people are the ones who raised such a stink in my first marriage, because we got married by a JOP and didn't really invite anyone, only a few people who were local (and even those people didn't show up). And they were all mad because we didn't wait to have a big ceremony and invite them all so they could witness my marriage. So now i'm marrying for the last time, and I invite them all, and they all say no. I'm just at my wit's end. My side of the church is gonna be pretty bare... :/ I guess i'll just have to have everyone mingle.

ETA: OOHhhh... it gets better. My dad was really confused to find out that my aunt and uncle weren't coming after the last 6 months swearing they were going to. Turns out, one of their granddaughters (who is like 8) is playing a basketball game that day so they have to go watch it. I understand that grandchild trumps niece, but come on. They had a prior engagement in my wedding and they knew that, they'd been saying they were coming for the last 6 months. Can't they miss ONE peewee basketball game for that?
  • edited December 2011
    At my first wedding, the only person from my late father's family that made it was my Uncle, who is also my godfather, as he had promised to take my father's place in giving me away. Otherwise, he wouldnt have come either. I completely understand how you feel. You have my total empathy. Just remember, they still love you, even if they cant make it. It took me 5 years to realize that about my Grandmother.

I hope you still have a wonderful and glorious wedding day.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone especially DotDash push the chairs together and celebrate as a big happy unit.  At our wedding FI will only have his sister present as the rest of his family is either not coming or has passed on so when my son goes to seat people he is only letting them know that the front pews is set aside for the family and everyone else can sit where they would like.
  • edited December 2011

I totally understand how you feel and where you are coming from.  My own mother is not coming to my wedding, none of my brothers are either and to top it off they could not even find it in themselves to send a card or congratulations.  My family table is such a joke, I can't even fill it that we have had to resort to a sweetheart table so I can fill my family table with my wedding party.

Its hard...but like one of the other ladies said, you now have a new family with your soon to be husband. 

My best to you.

Teresa & Bill June 10, 2011
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry that your family can't be at your wedding... It hurts I know... (((hugs)))

You will be there with your new husband, and your newly integrated family!

As far as seating people goes have them mingle.

Our wedding was set up so that everyone sat together, and we entered from the front!  That way there wasn't a bride's or groom's side and it forced our family and friends to mingle from the beginning.
  • fireytigerfireytiger member
    edited December 2011
    Well, the wedding is taking place in my church, and the pews can't be pushed together. :) But I'm sure if we tell people to just sit whereever in the first few rows, they'll even it out. I've never been "ushered" to a seat before and everyone always figured it out I thought. It just sucks that none of my family seems to find me as important as I've always found them.
  • gosuzygosuzy member
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry that your family isn't being more involved. My FI has the same problem and I know it hurts that his relatives can't be bothered to come to our wedding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards