Second Weddings

Re marrying my ex husband

Long story short, We were married for 10 years and I was the one who filed for divorce 3 years ago.  We got married young, had kids right away and I don't think I knew who I was yet.  He has always said he would never give up (which I am thankful for) and after me growing into myself and us keeping communication open and working out things, we have talked about getting remarried within the next year.  I am thinking of a way to bring back elements of our first wedding to surprise him.  We have 2 boys and do not want to do the big wedding thing...something just for "our family".  I was thinking about taking my  original wedding dress and having it made into a new dress, perhaps cocktail length or incorporating it somehow.  He has mentioned getting an entirely new ring but I love my original one.  Any ideas there?  Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Re marrying my ex husband

• Congratulations, and welcome:-)

I think it's fine and perfectly appropriate to include elements from your previous wedding, and I like the idea of altering your dress.  I like the idea that what's old is made new again, and reusing your dress and even your jewelry is really symbolic. Perhaps you can compromise on the jewelry by having stones placed into new settings, or having your old ring welded to a new one (like a ring guard?) Just some thoughts.

DSC_9275
  • That is so wonderful!  I love the idea of remaking your old dress and I would also do vows to the boys.  I like the idea of a ring guard or maybe even an anniversary type band to go with your original ring.  Can you do another honeymoon to the same place?  Maybe do a combo honeymoon and family vacation?  I just love your story and think it's so romantic and wonderful!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Congrats on finding love again with the first one! Nice story.

You can have the wedding you both want, with or without remnants of the first.
  • Maybe you could add two more stones to your ring, to symbolize your boys? Congratulations!
  • I to am going to marry my ex--husband! I love your story it is very similar to ours. We were married 12 years, divorced for 4. When we met I had two boys and he had two girls. Then we had ours who is now 11.  All of the younger kids were in the first wedding. Of course our 11 year old wasn't there. As I move into his house - there are a lot of things we got in our first marriage that I kept - it is very cool. Our son is thrilled - the others have left the nest.

This wedding I want to do more of what we want - not staying to a real cheap budget. (not really expensive - but nice my dream wedding. I still have my ring he doesn't have his, he actually remarried for a short time.) So we are going to get new rings - I love the idea of incorporating my ring into something. I think I got rid of my dress last sping - :) but I love the idea of incorporating that too into the new.

Good luck

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_re-marrying-my-ex-husband?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:203fc646-b6a5-4163-9bd3-14dadc211bcfPost:c5199634-f88c-4fa7-a1af-9d84dee5a8ad">Re marrying my ex husband</a>:
    [QUOTE]Long story short, We were married for 10 years and I was the one who filed for divorce 3 years ago.  We got married young, had kids right away and I don't think I knew who I was yet.  He has always said he would never give up (which I am thankful for) and after me growing into myself and us keeping communication open and working out things, we have talked about getting remarried within the next year.  I am thinking of a way to bring back elements of our first wedding to surprise him.  We have 2 boys and do not want to do the big wedding thing...something just for "our family".  I was thinking about taking my  original wedding dress and having it made into a new dress, perhaps cocktail length or incorporating it somehow.  He has mentioned getting an entirely new ring but I love my original one.  Any ideas there?  Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.
    Posted by ttocsared[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards