Second Weddings

Ideas for a VR officiant??

We're doing a vow renewal July 3rd, and we had planned on having the Catholic priest bless us for the ceremony from the church my family attends. Well, he informed us yesterday that he won't be able to do it 1. because we're already married 2. because my husband wasn't baptized Catholic (he has attended Catholic church all his life in his hometown!) and 3. because the ceremony is outside.

Any ideas on who could "perform" the ceremony? I was thinking about my great-grandfather because he's close to both of us, but my grandma and dad don't think he'd be able to because he's 95 and hasn't been feeling the greatest lately....so now we have no idea what to do :-/

Re: Ideas for a VR officiant??

• edited December 2011

Attending a church doesn't make you eligible for the sacraments.  I am surprised that people who attend routinely would not comprehend that.  And the Catholic church has never performed weddings outside.
    If the point of this event is to have your marriage consecrated, you would have to comply with the rules of the religion.  If you are not willing to do that-- what would the point be??  Having a random person say a blessing over you doesn't exactly indicate the need for a whole ceremony, at least to me. ~Donna

• edited December 2011
    I found an officiant on Craigslist, under events/services.
    Good luck on such short notice, and I hope your special day goes perfectly!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_ideas-vr-officiant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:33dbdbfa-1589-4f38-adef-889c0e471e71Post:5e9db541-5513-46b5-a0e7-2afee8cebbee">Re: Ideas for a VR officiant??</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're already married. Why do you need an officiant? Just conduct the ceremony yourselves, and speak your vows to each other.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

That's what we were thinking of doing--didn't know if that was "ok" for a vow renewal ceremony!
  • edited December 2011

Aww! That is so cute! I wish I could get my hubby to be that romantic....lol never gonna happen!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards