Second Weddings

Re: Third Marriage

• edited December 2011
    Hi there.  Congrats and welcome.

As far as someone walking you down the aisle, I am walking in alone.  My fi will be waiting at the back of the aisle and we will walk to the front together.  Your son would be fine if that is what you want.  What about your mother if you don't want to walk in alone?  Anyone else you are close to?

I don't have any ideas for honoring the parents.  Bringing attention to a deceased loved one can be uncomfortable for some for many reasons.

Good luck and happy planning.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130image Invited to dance the night away!
    92image Want to show their best moves!
    38image Have two left feet and won't be dancing!
    0image Are too embarrased to say they don't dance!

• edited December 2011

Welcome! 
    Please be conscious of the fact that any ceremony in which you end up married is a real  wedding.  Courthouse, JOP, ship board, casual, etc, they are all weddings.  Some may choose a style of wedding that you disparage as "not real" and those words can be offensive.  (<-- standard newbie alert- please don't take it personally).

You can walk with whomever you choose.  Your son, your Mom, your best friend, alone, your favorite cousin...it doesn't matter.  Do what makes you happy.  I chose to walk alone, in part, to symbolize my independence in walking into this marriage.

I agree with PP as to obviously honoring the deceased family members.  Others have suggested putting a photo of the deceased in a locket attached to your bouquet, or pinned close to your heart.   Some do a photo with a candle burning in front of it at the reception.  Some do an empty chair with a flower across it in memory.  Some mention it in their program.  Some pray for the person at a certain point in the religious ceremony.  Others just keep the person close in their heart (I did this).

Honoring you mother depends on her ability.  If she can polka with you, you can do a mother/daughter dance but if she is wheelchair bound, it may simply be a mention of her as the MOB in the progrm (if you choose to do that) and a nice corsage.  Can you ask her what SHE would like?  Or if she's too pushy, over the top or too meek -- can you come up with three choices that YOU can live with and ask her to pick one?  ~Donna

• edited December 2011

Congratulations and welcome to the board. Donna gave great ideas as always.

We were married in September and I had my son walk me, it was so very special to both of us, he is my only child. He was 14 at the time.  I don't think there was a dry eye in the house.  My father is deceased and he didn't raise me and we weren't close, so I did not honor him.

My husband's father is deceased. I made a small photo of his father and had it delivered to him in a card the morning of the wedding and simply stated, put this in your breast pocket so he can be close to your heart.

Both our moms are alive and were at the wedding, Their names were in the programs and they were recognized during the intro's at the reception.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards