Second Weddings
Options

Dad or Stepdad

This will be my second wedding - my dad and mom walked me down the aisle on the first one - I would like my stepdad to walk me down this time...he has no children of his own and I would like to give him this honor. I feel like he has been there for me more than my dad and that he is closer to me and my fiance.

Is this ok to say to my dad (which, he didnt raise me, my mom did by herself) - Dad, I would like for Frank to walk me down the aisle....I would like to give him that chance since he will never get to. Would that be ok with you?

Is that stupid?

Re: Dad or Stepdad

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's not dumb.  I don't think I'd even ask him, honestly!  I would just tell him that's what you're doing.  If your stepdad helped raise you I wouldn't even blink an eye at doing it this way.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think what you want to say is fine. I also agree with the prior poster, that if you don't say anything, that's fine too.

Since your step-dad has no other children, I think he'd be thrilled to do this, and I'm sure your dad would understand. It's thoughtful of you to want to know what to do, so no one's feelings are hurt.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I say don't open a can of worms.  This is your second wedding, be sure and do it your way.  Ask your stepdad, if that's what you want, and don't say anything to your dad. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't ask dad, just tell him. I had my step-dad walk me for my first wedding. They just divorced this year. My dad didn't help raise me and even though we are talking again, I have decided to just walk alone at my wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had my dad and my step dad walk me down the isle the first time and am having them both this time.  I didn't feel right leaving my real dad out, but am much closer to my step dad so I didn't feel right leaving him out either.  Just made sense to have them both.  And a big plus to that is when your nervous, you have both of them to lean on!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards