Second Weddings

Name on invitation

For second time brides... Who didn't change their name after divorce...

Did you use your maiden name on your invitations or your legal (yet ex's) last name?

I cann't decide which one I want to use. I feel like I should use my maiden name but I haven't used that name in almost 9 years. It's weird when I hear my maiden name used.

I am sure etiquette says I should use maiden but I am really just curious what did y'all used or are using?

Re: Name on invitation

• I changed my name back to my maiden name, so that was my legal name.  Use the name most people know you by - or you can leave last names off of the invitation.  Just use first and middle or first names. 
  • Use the name people know you by. ~Donna
  • crumbcake82crumbcake82 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    It may be your marreid name, but if it's what you go by, and it's how your current FI and your friends and family know you, then that's YOUR name.  
    I personally went back to my maiden name asap after my divorce, but I hadn't realy wanted to use his name in the first place.  
  • I can't really answer that, since I never changed my name with either marriage.  However, you really need to use the name your invited guests know you by.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_name-on-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:63e975ab-53a3-41f3-87d7-28c2e7596c51Post:272d972f-44e9-4345-9e41-a76e08a1ee39">Name on invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]For second time brides... Who didn't change their name after divorce... Did you use your maiden name on your invitations or your legal (yet ex's) last name? I cann't decide which one I want to use. I feel like I should use my maiden name but I haven't used that name in almost 9 years. It's weird when I hear my maiden name used. I am sure etiquette says I should use maiden but I am really just curious what did y'all used or are using?
    Posted by RusticBride13[/QUOTE]

I went back to my maiden name after my divorce, but is it possible to have no last name?

I've seen a lot of invites that don't include the brides last name, especially if the parents are hosting???? Just a thought.  Although your last name would be different....good luck! 

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• I am using my current last name. More people would probably be like "OH!! I know her!!" from FI guest list, since they are people my siblings and I knew when we were younger, but that's not my last name anymore.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_name-on-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:63e975ab-53a3-41f3-87d7-28c2e7596c51Post:1ba3036e-cbe6-4abd-b5a1-55acdccacc23">Re: Name on invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't really answer that, since I never changed my name with either marriage.  However, you really need to use the name your invited guests know you by.
    Posted by 2dBride[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat ... never changed my name with either marriage.  But if you've kept the first husband's name, that's what you need to use on your invitations, unless you go with just your first name (not higly recommended).
  • I have been struggling with this as well. I kept my married last name because that was my kids' name, but now I don't really want to include thoughts of husband #1 in my wedding/marriage to incredible husband #2. Though some said it would not be recommended, I am leaning towards using only first names on the invites (FI doesn't like his middle name either, so solves 2 issues!).
  • I still have my ex's name as my last name, and I must agree that I do not want that last name on my invitation for my 2nd wedding. It feels weird. I also dont know that i want to put my maiden name, because its been a while since I have used it. Most of my friends and family still call me by my maiden name, but thats not my current legal name. Therefore... maybe I will just use my first name. I don't see a problem with that. Pretty sure if you are invited to my wedding, you know who I am and what my NEW last name will be anyway :)
    ~Happy Wife.... Happy Life~
  • I still carry my exs name. I didn't change it bc 1) we have small kids together and 2) we dragged our feet in filing and when it was final I knew I'd marry FI some day and didn't wat to change it again. We were going to do first /middle names but he has 2 short names I have 3 long names... It didn't look right I didn't care about rules, lol, I used my maiden. I did not want my exs name on the invites. It's something I felt very strongly about
  • I just put my first and middle name on the invitation with his full name. I went back to my maiden name after my divorce too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_name-on-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:63e975ab-53a3-41f3-87d7-28c2e7596c51Post:bf9f33ba-39f5-4793-a885-bd02cb9ece43">Re: Name on invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]Problem: WILL your guests know which "Sarah" this is? It's a common name.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>LOL yes, considering we are having only 50 guests that are immeadiate family.... I dont see how they could confuse the bride with someone else? But I might use my middle name or maiden name... still undecided. But I reufse to use my ex's last name. I just didnt feel like changing it back ot my maiden when I knew I would be taking my FH's name</div>
    ~Happy Wife.... Happy Life~
  • When my first husband and I got a disillusionment, I was feeling really self conscious, embarrassed, etc....so I didn't really want to "announce" to the world that our marriage had ended by changing my name back to my maiden name (though I REALLY wanted to). I definitely regretted not changing it back later, but it is what it is.

Now, on any "legal" items (for work, credit cards, bank accounts, etc), I have no choice but to use my married last name....but everything else, I use my maiden name for. In my mind, it's kind of like if a woman doctor gets married she *could* be known as Dr. MaidenName, but could also be considered Mrs. MarriedName.

In the end, go with what you feel comfortable with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards