Second Weddings
Options

Vow Renewal/ Church Blessing

I'm not really sure where this post belongs, but I'm wondering if anyone else is in a similar position. DH and I were married in a civil ceremony (destination wedding) in October of 2009. He had been married before, but did not have the marriage anulled in the Catholic Church. We initiated the process about 6 months before our wedding, but apparently someone important died and they told us it would be 3 years before we would get an answer. It is very important to me for him to get the anullment so that we can have our marriage blessed by the Church. My question is how do people normally go about handling the celebration of vow renewals/church blessings? I've seen a few people treat it like a 2nd wedding with a new dress, flowers, huge reception, the whole nine yards. However, I'm pretty uncomfortable with this idea because we are already married (even though we only had 12 people attend the first ceremony). Would it be strange to have a small reception with close family and friends? Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Vow Renewal/ Church Blessing

• Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Usually, Church blessings are very low key with just the couple and, maybe, parents or sibllings in attendance followed by a nice dinner (brunch, whatever).  At our (Catholic) Church, honestly, its just the couple -- 9 times out of 10.
  • Options
    Kimberly0402Kimberly0402 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My father had a Marriage Blessing ceremony a few weeks ago. It was attended by family and close friends and after the ceremony we went back to their house and had a picnic. It worked really well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards