Second Weddings

What do you think of this?

A little background, I have (had, rather) a bridesmaid that lives in California, whom I really really wanted to come to my wedding. So, in my intense desire to have her come out, I paid $300 dollars for a plane ticket for her to be in my wedding. Unfortunately, after I did that, she started dragging her feet on getting a dress, and then yesterday sent me a message telling me that she doesn't want to come out after all. So I'm stuck with a plane ticket for 300 dollars, that is not refundable but WILL give me credits to transfer for another flight before December. We have no need for it because as you know FI is having heart surgery in October, so we won't be going anywhere.

So, one of my BMs who IS showing up, has been a really great friend to me and FI. She is getting married in September, and her FI is a good friend of ours as well. He is originally from Boston, MA and misses it there terribly, his family lives there and really need him to come home because his father is sick. But they can't afford it. So I did some checking, and for an additonal 60 dollars or so, we can buy two plane tickets to Boston, MA for these friends to go as a wedding gift. The dates can be changed, so if I set some dates and they won't work for them, they can always change them. But I want someone to use this money and I know how much it would mean to them. It's already money spent, we can't get it back and we have no use for it as i've said.

My only question is, do you think that it's an appropriate wedding gift? I don't want to do this and have them feel uncomfortable taking it. I know it would mean a lot to them but I don't want to step on any toes. Thoughts?

Re: What do you think of this?

• MerryNMathMerryNMath member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's lovely... and if you're still uncomfortable with the idea write them a note telling them what you just said here...
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's a great idea. 

I'm sorry to hear about your other BM. :(
  • fireytigerfireytiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'm pretty upset about my BM falling out on me. Her and another of my closest friends have let me down 2 months before my wedding, so i'm really disappointed. But I wanted to take this negative situation and turn it into a positive one. FI and I have no problem whatsoever giving them the tickets, but we're worried that they will be bothered by it, thinking it's "too much".
  • edited December 2011
    You are so nice!!! I am sure they will love it, and if you are sort of worried, just talk to them and explain your point of view. This will be a well spent money!!!
    I don't like to judge, but after you put such financial effort in this economy to bring your friend and she fails you just two months before your wedding...I have no other words than insensitive, selfish and inconsiderate! But this is not great that despite been disappointed, you can turn this situation into something more positive and very nice! God less you!
  • edited December 2011
    How wonderful thst you can do something positive out of this disappointing situation! I think it is a great idea. Your "nice" BM probably knows the story about the plane ticket, right? So you shouldn't have to give too much of an explanation, I'd think.
  • fireytigerfireytiger member
    edited December 2011
    Well, I just was concerned that not only did the tickets cost a lot of money, but also because technically they're getting it as a second-hand gift? I dunno. It's difficult to explain, but I'm worried they're gonna be like "pfft, well they wouldn't have wanted to give us such a thoughtful gift if their friend hadn't screwed them over." Or something. I don't know, i'm probably just overthinking this, lol. :) I'm glad all of you think that i'm being a very good friend, I try very hard to be and it means a lot to hear some acknowledgement for it.
  • edited December 2011
    You are every thoughtful to think of this gift for your friends. I would send a card with a note saying you wanted them to visit, and don't give it another thought. If you need to just tell them it's a ticket that was purchased that you couldn't use and couln't think of a better way to make sure it got used than to give it to your friends.
    Good for you!
  • needle&threadneedle&thread member
    edited December 2011
    OMG...you are the bestest friend...I wish someone would think of me that way.  Maybe I really must rethink my BM list...huh?

That is totally self-less of you...and I don't think that whichever way you give it to them that they will fell offended in the least...I wouldn't.  It's not a gift...its a blessing.

Bless your heart...

S and CJ
    S and CJ image imageWhen is my wedding
    Visit Purple.weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cream to my Coffee
  • mandalove7mandalove7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As other PP have stated, that is an amazing gift. You're a great friend, so self-less! Your friends are lucky to have a friend like you! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards