Second Weddings
Options

Second wedding for both of us. New wedding dress??

This is the second marriage for both of us and I am having a very hard time spending a lot of money on another wedding dress.
I have been googling "Prom dresses" to see if I can find an inexpensive dress with the look I want.  I really want an ivory dress since it is the second wedding for both of us. 
Then I started thinking if anyone rents wedding dresses.
With 5 children between us and 2 new pups (thanks Santa) I really do not need another wedding dress laying around!

Does anyone know of any places that I could rent a dress from? I'm in MD. However, I am willing to travel if needed within reason.

Being a second wedding, do any others feel the same? I just can't seem to get excited over another wedding. I guess that is why I really don't want another dress laying around.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Second wedding for both of us. New wedding dress??

• Options

I feel that way too, But to be fair my first wedding I found an amazing dress on sale from $4000 to $200...

This time however I want a completely different feel so I am looking at a halter style more fitted dress, alot less poof and sparkle...
  • Options
    That is what I am aiming for as well. My first wedding I had the "Princess dress", this time I want simple and elegant. Nothing to big. I have been searching through some stores such as Macy's, Sears, Nordstroms...etc. Anywhere that they have sales and I could find coupon codes for.  I just can't seem to justify having another wedding dress laying around somewhere.
    Which is where the thought of renting a dress came in. Having done this once before for both us, we understand the little things that may have been so huge the first time, really are not so major this time!
  • Options
    Also check consignment shops
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice on the consignment, I will check that out tomorrow.
    Right 1....THANK YOU SO MUCH!! And this is in MD!!!!  I will be calling them in the morning as well!!!!
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Just watch out on V&C Bridal.  It gets some terrible reviews. See this link, this one, and this one.

You're probably better off with a consignment shop like I Do I Do in Gaithersburg.  Or St. Anthony's Bridal, which has a limited selection of dresses for $150 each.  Or the place NotFroofy and I got our dresses, La Bella Bridal in Occoquan.  The last one is farther away, but has a wonderful owner who can pick out things you'd never look at twice on the hanger, but that look gorgeous on you.

Another alternative is to look for something other than a wedding dress.  For example, you could get a bridesmaid's dress, most of which are available in white or ivory.  Or just go for something like a nice evening dress that you could wear again.
  • Options
    Try vonmaur.com, it's a smaller chain that has some beautiful dresses in their special ocassion dept., and they don't sell bridal so your chances of finding a beautiful non-traditional dress that is still pretty darn fancy are much higher. FYI, Tadashi (designer of formal dresses, but not really a bridal designer) makes some amazing dresses that are sooooo figure flattering/forgiving. He is like a samarai of fabric draping! And while some of the dresses there are pricey, their cc is interest free, so you can charge it w/o breaking the bank. I used to be a manager of the dress dept in one of the Ohio stores, and I still am seriously addicted to their shoe dept. FI keeps saying something about a 12-step program which I am a pro at not hearing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_second-wedding-of-new-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:81561076-d2a9-4039-83c6-4495a993e111Post:e436a77d-1bfb-49a0-9b40-16155812e779">Second wedding for both of us. New wedding dress??</a>:
    [QUOTE]. Being a second wedding, do any others feel the same?<strong><font color="#000080"> I just can't seem to get excited over another wedding.</font></strong> I guess that is why I really don't want another dress laying around. Thanks in advance!
    Posted by fallenangel316[/QUOTE]

Since the other responses addressed how to find reasonably priced dresses, I'll skip that.  The highlighted sentence set off alarms for me. <em> Why</em> are you getting married if you "... just can't seem to get excited over another wedding??"
  • Options
    To Lisa....
    Thank You so VERY MUCH Retreadbride!! You put it VERY WELL!!  I KNOW NOW every single venue and other "wedding related" place see dollar signs as soon as they know that you are calling in regards to a wedding. We are simple people living a great life with our children after overcoming our 6 year old having cancer, almost losing our 3 year old to Restrictive airway and a child with Autism. I would say we are doing pretty damn good and want to make it official that we ARE FAMILY! Even though, our children have decided on their own that they are siblings.
    All that matters to US is the "WE DO" part!
    So that IS WHY!
    Thanks for your opinion!
    And THANK YOU that have given GREAT WEBSITES for me to look on!!!
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_second-wedding-of-new-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:81561076-d2a9-4039-83c6-4495a993e111Post:1ac3109d-92d0-41e7-9418-2bff0f0a5329">Re: Second wedding for both of us. New wedding dress??</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong><font color="#003366">To Lisa.... Thank You so VERY MUCH Retreadbride</font></strong>!! You put it VERY WELL!!  I KNOW NOW every single venue and other "wedding related" place see dollar signs as soon as they know that you are calling in regards to a wedding. We are simple people living a great life with our children after overcoming our 6 year old having cancer, almost losing our 3 year old to Restrictive airway and a child with Autism. I would say we are doing pretty damn good and want to make it official that we ARE FAMILY! Even though, our children have decided on their own that they are siblings. All that matters to US is the "WE DO" part! So that IS WHY! Thanks for your opinion! And THANK YOU that have given GREAT WEBSITES for me to look on!!!
    Posted by fallenangel316[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure WHY YOU ARE SHOUTING AT ME (or are you shouting at Retread??), but as long as you are NOW excited and happy ... that's great.  I kindly ask that you (OP)  re-read my post.   You will see that I simply asked why you are getting married if you're not excited about it. 
  • Options

Lisa, I wasn't shouting at you.  I was excited over the information given Didn't intend for you to take that as I was shouting at you. Sorry for that. 
    Thank you again for the help!

• Options

My first wedding was an elopement at the courthouse. For this wedding, I went to David's Bridal and when I tried on "THE" dress, it's original price was $400. When I went back two weeks later to put it on layaway, it was $50 off. If you aren't comfortable wearing an actual wedding dress, then find a nice dress from somewhere like Kohl, Belk, etc. Also check out the David's bridal outlet and dresses under $100.  

• Options
    Have you thought about bridesmaid dresses in ivory?
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." -Lester Banks, Almost Famous
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards