Second Weddings

25th Anniversary

Someone I love will celebrate 25 years married next week. 

25 years ago, they were living together.  They were engaged, but were in no rush to set a date.  They were a young couple, mid-20's, just getting started in their careers, so they didn't have a lot of money.  They had scrimped & saved to buy their first house, a fixer-upper in a town with low housing costs. 
Come October, she found out she was pregnant.  Medical reasons had caused her to have to change birth control methods, and this unplanned, but not unwanted, pregnancy was the outcome.  They decided that they would get married ASAP. 

She asked me to be her MOH, and the 3 of us, along with their Moms worked together to plan her wedding.  In 6 weeks, we planned it all.  There was a shower with family & close friends (he is one of 6 kids).  There was a bachelorette luncheon (pregnant bride = no alcohol).  There was a wedding party, flowers, an aisle, a church, a candelight reception on a Friday night in December.  There was a wedding gown, a veil, a first dance and a bouquet toss.  There was a photographer, who was the groom's BIL, and did a terrible job.  There was no honeymoon, as she needed to save all her vacation time for her Maternity leave. 
25 years later, there are two well adjusted young adult children, doing really well as college students. There's a nicer home, in a better town. There never was a honeymoon, but there were some family vacations.  
I am so grateful these two are getting to celebrate their 25th.  You just cannot take these things for granted.  ~Donna

Re: 25th Anniversary

• Sounds kinda like the story of my daughter. Her October wedding turned into a quick run to the JOP in July, and an at home reception a few weeks later.  Many said it was the best reception they'd been to in their lives.  We were lucky, though, the pictures, taken by my sister's beau, were great. 

Congratulations to your friends; they're in my thoughts rignt now (as are you)!

image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • wow, i almost thought you were talking about me!  that is my story almost to every detail except the party :(  My family was so disappointed in me that there was no way i was wearing white or having a party.

I guess these stories simply prove that it's ultimately not about the "wedding" but about the union of two people in love.  

Congrats to your friend!  I am grateful for my wonderful husband, amazing kids and mostly to be alive to enjoy all of it.
  • Congratulations to your friends as they celebrate their union!! 

Merry Yule! 
  • What a great story!!! True love is true love, no matter what and how you get there! Congratulations on 25 happy years!!! Its a wonderful milestone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Becca
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards