Second Weddings

Choosing Bridesmaids for 2nd Wedding.

I am (eventually) getting married to a wonderful man, and while we've talked about it extensively, he hasn't asked me yet, but I know we'll have a short engagement once he does, so I've been trying to mentally prepare before I have to actual start getting things done.

My question is: do I need to have the same bridesmaids I had at my first wedding? I originally got married a little over 5 years ago, and that crashed and burned quickly. I am still friends with my bridesmaids, but I have friends I am closer to now, including my SO's two sisters. Is it rude of me to ask different women to stand up for me this time? My own sister was my MOH in my first wedding, and I'd like her to repeat that this time, but will that cause friction with my other 2 previous bridesmaids? I'm not sure how to approach it and would love any advice or comments on experiences you've all had.

Re: Choosing Bridesmaids for 2nd Wedding.

• melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I intentially did NOT "reuse" bridesmaids.  New wedding, new wedding party, new everything.

If there is someone you are just so close to that you can't imagine them NOT being in your wedding again, by all means ask her.  However, if you've got better friends now and feel more comfortable asking them, do it! 

I've never heard of anyone duplicating their entire wedding line-up.
    10-10-10
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto to what Melissa just said.  This is a new life and a new beginning for you.  I'd find it hard to believe that any of your previous BM would assume that they would be part of your second wedding.  The choice is entirely up to you.  
  • SueR13SueR13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Times changes. Friendships change.

At first I was told not to use my same MOH as it was bad luck. But she's my closest person in my life besides FI! So I'm using her. I had no attendants last time, and this time I have my 2 daughters and his 2 daughters.

No groomsmen. Just a best man and my son walking me down the aisle.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 112 Invited image 80 Joining the fun
    image 30 Missing out image 2 are total flakes
    RSVP Date 07/20/10
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At my first wedding (over 30 years ago!), my sister was my MOH.  This time, my two children were our MOH and dude of honor.  My sister attended, but there was no way she assumed that she would be in our wp.
  • Sloane99Sloane99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having different attendants, but mainly because I'm only still close to one of the ladies from my first wedding, my MOH from wedding #1. She will be at our wedding but it would have been a bit odd to put her in the party since we only really email once in a while now even though I still consider her a good friend.

The person I'm closest to now and actually known longer is my MOH this time around, along with another old friend who happens to be the groom's sister.

Personally though, I would chose whomever you are closest to regardless of who was there or an attendant for your first wedding.
    2 IVFs & 1 FET. Welcome home baby girl!
  • edited December 2011
    No, you do not need to have the same bridesmaids.

I'm a 2nd time bride too, and the only bridesmiad I'm having from my 1st wedding is my MOH (my sister, she was MOH at my first one too).
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I'm with everyone else - and I do find it odd to repeat the same wedding party in its entirety as the first time around.  I would think if THEY (the first WP) give you any attitude about it you don't need them in the wedding this time.

I am having one attendant, my MOH, and she is the same as I had the first time.  We have been best friends since we were 12 - and we are now 40.  She lives in Atlanta and I live in Upstate NY but we are still very close and I couldn't imagine anyone else filling that role, even though I do only see her a couple times I year.

• mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I was supposed to be a bm for a friend, but then the wedding got called off.  She met another guy and got married a few years later.  By that time our friendship had changed.  She invited me to the wedding but did not ask me to be a bridesmaid.  I went to her wedding with no hard feelings.  I knew our relationship had changed and didn't expect to be asked to be a bm. 

This is my first wedding but I check this board out sometimes because it is my FI second wedding.  One of his requests is that we don't duplicate things from his first wedding.  His mom will be there and that is the only thing that is the same as the first time around. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You are not obligated at all to choose the same BM for your second wedding.

I didn't have BM the first time as I married in the courthouse. I'm using just my sisters because I wanted a small wedding party. My son is walking me down the isle and is a groomsman, and his son is the best man, so 2 on each side for us.
  • edited December 2011
    NO YOU DON"T!!!!!  I am also have a much smaller wedding this go round, so I having must my sister stand by myside and then having our children involved in the wedding.  You don't need a row of girls next to you and certainly don't need the same row!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards